Eurotunnel migrants?

hallii

After our unpleasant experience getting to the Calais ferry we have decided to use the tunnel. We have done the tunnel lots of times but not with the migrant problems as bad as they are.

I know the migrants have made excursions into the tunnel etc but are they actively targeting motorhomes? They were on my last Calais crossing!

I am just looking for the least amount of hassle, maybe Caen would be better?

Any opinions welcome.

H

Guest pelmetman

We've booked to go out on the tunnel, when it comes to booking the return trip we'll decide on our route nearer the time :-| ...........

Obviously, I have no experience on such matters( ;-)) but I did catch an item on a digital, talk-radio station the other day.

It was a report from a camp in/at Dunkirk, apparently it has grown from 80 in march, and in the last month alone, had doubled to well over 1000..and they're expecting it to be 1200-1500 by Christmas...

I haven't noticed much mention of it on any of the main news/media channels... ?

Perhaps something to keep in mind ....?

Edit: As you were!....Having just had a quick Google, I see there's been a camp of sorts there for a few years... :$

We used the tunnel 6 weeks ago going out and delayed till 03.20 going out.

On our return we were delayed 2.5 hrs. The carpark at Eurotunnel was heaving with loads of merc vans with some seats in with immigrants with passports coming into the uk. It was b......... Awfull.

We had only just renewed our frequent traveller.

WISH I hadn't.

We normally go away for a weekend, but can't because I'm not sure how delayed we'll be. It's a nuisance.

We came back via the tunnel in July and although the roads were chokka with lorries we were not delayed, in fact we got on two ferries prior to our booked one as we set off early because we thought we may have been held up.

The situation could have changed since then of course

We came back via the tunnel on the 1st October, no prblems what so ever. Saw lots of migrants at the round abouts close to the Tunnel but none inside the area. The next day the tunnel was closed because of an invasion of migrants. So it is just a matter of luck and timing. The last few times we have crossed this year no problems at all.

We arrived in Calais 11am last Wednesday and parked for 3 hours at the beach before shopping at Auchan. We stayed overnight at Citie Europe on Wednesday night and caught the 10.45 ferry next morning. Apart from all the tents beside the access road to the ferry we never saw any illegals. We also never saw any Border Control Police and after booking in at P&O we drove straight to waiting lane. However there were new security fences everywhere.

John

It's good to hear some people have not had problems with the ferry.

Apart from being "swarmed" by migrants this year, last year one of them tried to steal the bikes of the bike rack whilst on the dock aire. Maybe they like the look of my m/h or perhaps it's just the "luck of the draw". Whatever, Calais ferry has lost my business for now, I think I will go Eurotunnel out and Caen - Portsmouth back. I did look at the Spanish ferries and I have used them in the dim and distant past, but £700 is a bit steep for me.

H

hallii - 2015-11-04 5:49 PM

After our unpleasant experience getting to the Calais ferry we have decided to use the tunnel. We have done the tunnel lots of times but not with the migrant problems as bad as they are.

I know the migrants have made excursions into the tunnel etc but are they actively targeting motorhomes? They were on my last Calais crossing!

I am just looking for the least amount of hassle, maybe Caen would be better?

Any opinions welcome.

H

Personally, while respecting the force of your own experience, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. We have used the tunnel four times this year. Out April, return June, out again September, return October. We travelled through in all cases between 12:00 and 14:00, and picked up fuel at the Calais Auchan on both return trips and on the second outbound.

We did not stay in Calais, making our first and last overnight stops between 10 and 100 miles out. We entered the terminal both times homebound from the non-toll A16, and left it outward via the D304 on the first trip, and A16 for the second. Didn't see a single migrant, but did spot one "flic" with binoculars, surveying the scrub from the side of the D304, just outside Fréthun.

Maybe we were lucky, maybe you were unlucky, maybe it is just travelling through at about lunch time; who knows? However, I think the bigger risk overall is delay from stacked trucks on either side, rather than being overwhelmed by hoards of migrants.

We had to exit the A16 through a "truck wall" in October - but they'd helpfully left an escape bolt-hole at junction 43, which was fine.

We went via the ferry Dover / Calais on the 5th of Oct, returning on the 2nd Nov. No problems encountered either way, straight out of Calais on docking @ 1530hrs & just as easy getting back in @ 1300hrs. 3rd time this year & have never come across any migrants on the roads. The 'Jungle' is very visible but other than that :-S

It makes me laugh when people say there are no problems at Calais, what they really mean is that they were lucky and got left alone, or that they were able to drive into the terminal fast enough that no-one tried to open their lockers, climb on their roof or worse still, get into the van..

Do you believe that the news crews employ 100s actors to pretend to be migrants breaking into every single container and trailer in queues of traffic? How about the 200 or so that stormed the tunnell a couple of weeks ago>

Believe me, if you were held up in lines of traffic, then you'd be subject to the same hassles and intimidation that the truckers are.

donna miller - 2015-11-06 5:36 PM

It makes me laugh when people say there are no problems at Calais, what they really mean is that they were lucky and got left alone, or that they were able to drive into the terminal fast enough that no-one tried to open their lockers, climb on their roof or worse still, get into the van..

Do you believe that the news crews employ 100s actors to pretend to be migrants breaking into every single container and trailer in queues of traffic? How about the 200 or so that stormed the tunnell a couple of weeks ago>

Believe me, if you were held up in lines of traffic, then you'd be subject to the same hassles and intimidation that the truckers are.

I`m with you on this one!. I have not been Calais since Jan 2008, even then it was getting to be a real Hassle. We had already adopted the approach of Overnighting well out and going for the port without stopping, timing it so that we spent the minimum time on the port before our boarding. I even filled up with Diesel BEFORE I got to Calais, and bough my "wine"/chesse etc; just outside Rouen. We where briefly pulled over for inspection, had ALL our lockers opened up and had a guy look on the roof!. The UK border agents who where even then operating on French soil. told us that the day before they had examined a UK Caravan. found the hab door forced and two "illegals" stood in the Wash-room!!

Pete

Hi.

I actually do think that lots of things happen in front of news cameras that do not generally happen. Friends have witnessed this in the past. Also I often think exactly that when I watch the news and am very cynical about what appears on our screens. I do not say it never happens but that we do not see a true reflection of reality.

Peter

I do not think anyone is saying there are no problems, however as I have already said I have never had any and I suspect most have not. I have come through on three trips this year and twice stayed on the marina aire. Both times we left our van and walked into Calais for a meal, we also went in for breakfast before the ferry. We saw no immigrants at all, at least no one that looked like one, the only ones we saw was at the tented site on our way in and a couple wandering up the autoroute, also on our way in. The marina aire only had a few vans on, this is normal, but the harbour aire was pretty full so it would appear not many are put off. Personally it will take more than a couple of isolated incidents and newspaper hype to put me off the most convenient route. I guess people of a very nervous disposition will stay away but all the more room for the rest of us.

• 2 months later...

I have been reading this post carefully over last week or so and noted no new entries.

I am interested as I intend to cross this spring with my young family and was reassured reading the posts.

However I just read this in the Express online and now am looking closer at my options.

Guest pelmetman

Its luck of the draw ..........We came through the tunnel back in December and had a 3 hour delay, which according to one member of staff was caused by signal problems, but according to the web it was track problems.........when the train eventually left it made the slowest trip ever........So I suspect migrants in the tunnel was nearer the truth :-| ..........

Its the new reality of open borders and weak governments who are ruled by Brussels *-) ........

aka4ajax - 2016-01-21 6:08 PMI have been reading this post carefully over last week or so and noted no new entries.

I am interested as I intend to cross this spring with my young family and was reassured reading the posts.

However I just read this in the Express online and now am looking closer at my options.

The article does not say where the coach was heading, but I'm guessing it was going to the port, not Eurotunnel. If you use Eurotunnel you don't have to go anywhere near the Jungle or even Calais town centre. You just exit the ring road straight onto the Eurotunnel ticketing area. No problems on many crossings in the last year for us. 

So if you are concerned use Eurotunnel, not Dover ferries, or use Southampton, or Portsmouth ferries.

Archived