Satellite TV

cleddytanhouse

I know that this subject has been on here many times, however, having just spent another dark wet weekend with poor TV reception, I have decided that I need to add a satellite system. I know that it will hopefully work over the entire UK and possibly Northern France.

I will probably go for a dome system, as, my motorhome dealer suggests these are more reliable. ....... any comments appreciated.

My other question is? Once the Built in Avtex TV and the second TV Freesat box have been tuned in, do they have to be tuned in each time that I move location, assuming that I am using the same satellite?

Also, is there any advantage in changing between satellites?

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to spend around £1300 and find it does not give me easy access to TV when I want it.

Have you got a Freesat or FTA box?

If it's a Freesat box it might be that you have a limit to how many extra stations you can tune in so you might want to check out Lyngsat or similar website which lists satellites and stations, then pick likely channels and manually tune them in before any trip and you will proboly have to add to 'other sats' option as just one list for all other satellites.

If it's a half decent FTA box it will proboly have room for thousands of stations, so you can do a fta search by satellite, but this produces huge lists which need sorting.

Ok. I think that I have found what will suit me. Maxview have a new VuDome 2. It can be freestanding, or, roof mounted.

I realise that it will only cover the UK and possibly part of Northern France. But that suits me.

It has twin lnb and the installed cost is under £1000. Also, it is fully automatic.

Has anyone any experience of this relatively new product?

The maxview Vudome 2 looks good for your requirements.

If used as a free standing unit you will need somewhere to store it. But at least it will be easier to obtain line of sight to the satellite (avoiding trees).

If roof mounted, you will need to park the van in a suitable position to ensure a clear line of sight to the satellite. I have an auto sat system on the roof but always carry a hand held compass to make sure I have a clear line of sight.

With the maxview system you can either have it freestanding or roof mounted but not both (I think).

Two points about reliability. A dome system is best when there are strong winds but an elevating dish will provide a better quality signal. Neither will work if weather is extreme for example in torrential rain. We have an elevating dish and in the 10 years we have had it covering about 900 nights we have not used the dish because of strong winds about 20 nights.

• 10 months later...

Just found your post. Please could you let me know how things have done with your Maxview VuQube 2?

We are considering buying this system for our new van after eight successful years with a Maxview crank up system.

It would be good to know if you have used your system in France and how far south you can receive Astra 2.

Thanks.

Archived