Avtex again

Pete-B

We've got a new Avtex 18.5" and I was told at the NEC that it's possible to record a programme on to a memory stick. I'm probably being a bit stupid here, but I can't see anything in the book about doing it, so I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to a techy thicko how to do this.

Thanks.

Hi all, thanks for putting up this thread and the answers as I did not realise my Avtex TV was also a PVR. I was considering buying a separate unit to record the F1 & MotoGP races that reach here in the middle of the night. No need to read the manual when you can obtain all the answers on this forum. Thanks guys.
Cheers,

Colin Leake - 2015-11-12 7:09 PM

Their manual leaves much to be desired. It is there but if it's the same as my much older model what it does not tell you is that you need to,leave the set on standby. If you turn it off it wont work!

Hhmmm......well i wouldn't expect it to if the power is turned off!!! Evert tried the same in your pc when thats off? You won't get much 'activity' going on! :D

What i would say is the manual is very comprehensive with the television being multi-standard etc so programming and tuning is not nearly as simple as your home set.

Mine is the 103D and i could never get a memory stick to format. I tried flash drives of varying capacities none would work in it and i've no idea why, but the instructions are not that easy.

The one thing which really does annoy me with Avtex is when changing between DVD/DTV/FM/ etc, you have literally split seconds to key the OK on the remote otherwise it stays where it was! Not sure if other Avtex sets are like this?

The drop down Avtex in my Autotrail had a plate glued over the usb slot. I carefully removed it and stuck some Velcro on to allow the plate to be removed. I could then insert a 16gb memory stick. I think it has to be a minimum 8gb stick to work.

It is a bit of a pain to set up, but, providing the power is on and you are not watching another program at the same time, it works.

gocro - 2015-11-14 8:09 PM

It also helps if you use a recent usb stick that has a fast read write speed, some Chinese ones are rubbish.

I tried both in mine.....a cheapo Chinky one, 64gb stick which works no problem in both desktop pc and usb port on van radio, but won't on the Avtex. Then tried a Transcend 32gb (can't get much better quality than that) and it still wouldn't have it.

Maybe give it another go sometime but as the other poster found, it's a right faff and far from plug 'n play. Avtex are good sets but they built them to do way to much in my opinion, and the prices are just silly. My 103D cost almost as much as my 40" LG home tv!!

cleddytanhouse - 2015-11-14 7:20 PM

The drop down Avtex in my Autotrail had a plate glued over the usb slot. I carefully removed it and stuck some Velcro on to allow the plate to be removed. I could then insert a 16gb memory stick. I think it has to be a minimum 8gb stick to work.

It is a bit of a pain to set up, but, providing the power is on and you are not watching another program at the same time, it works.

I wonder why Autotrail did that ? Fit a covering plate ? Seems a stupid thing to do. Restricting a useful feature. I replaced the very basic(and broken) monitor in my 2012 Autotrail and fitted one with a USB and an SD port which can record and play back recordings, got if off of E bay, took ages to arrive from China, but less than half the price of an Avtex.The make of the unit is Eonon and the quality is better than the original monitor that Autotrail fitted, it plays dvds directly too.

Had our Avtex for 5 years and can record quite easily. I always format the stick and then set recording using the EPG. The one problem I have is tv remains on after recording has finished which if you are out for several hours can deplete your battery. I did contact Avtex about this and was told to phone them and ask for Dwayne and he would help me but never done it yet.

If you input 2580 you can get to engineers menu but it was beyond me so good luck.

John

Bulletguy - 2015-11-14 5:37 AM

Their manual leaves much to be desired. It is there but if it's the same as my much older model what it does not tell you is that you need to,leave the set on standby. If you turn it off it wont work!

Hhmmm......well i wouldn't expect it to if the power is turned off!!! Evert tried the same in your pc when thats off? You won't get much 'activity' going on! :D

What i would say is the manual is very comprehensive with the television being multi-standard etc so programming and tuning is not nearly as simple as your home set.

Mine is the 103D and i could never get a memory stick to format. I tried flash drives of varying capacities none would work in it and i've no idea why, but the instructions are not that easy.

The one thing which really does annoy me with Avtex is when changing between DVD/DTV/FM/ etc, you have literally split seconds to key the OK on the remote otherwise it stays where it was! Not sure if other Avtex sets are like this?

t

There's no need to be sarcastic clever clogs. Yes it's obvious if you think about it but after years of turning the set off when not using it on this occasion I set it record the next days F1 GP then watched some programms and turned the set off when I'd finished without thinking about it. Just though it may be helpful to some simple people like myself to pass the information on.

Another feature is that being only a single channel receiver you can't watch one programm and record another at the same time which greatly reduces its usefulness. At home we watch TV on free sat and have a two channel recorder on free view so that we can watch one programm and record two more.

Colin Leake - 2015-11-15 9:44 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-11-14 5:37 AM

There's no need to be sarcastic clever clogs. Yes it's obvious if you think about it but after years of turning the set off when not using it on this occasion I set it record the next days F1 GP then watched some programms and turned the set off when I'd finished without thinking about it. Just though it may be helpful to some simple people like myself to pass the information on.

I always believed everyone knew that no television set or pvr will function without being in standby mode. Despite huge advances in technology over the years they haven't quite got round to making one which works via telepathy! (lol)

Archived