portsmouth parking.

Iain Strachan

Hi,

greetings to you both..

Re portsmouth parking, last time we went that route, there seemed to be plenty of space in the checkin area, and cant remember any specific objections to arriving early..overnight?? Not sure.

caravan club cls or even supermarket carparks, ?, cant give specific advice, dont know portsmouth area in detail

alternatively, we are only 45 miles from portsmouth and as you know, we have a large drive which you would be welcome to use for overnight if you like, even with hookup and water tap, emptying options as well..

the offer is there, the choice is yours..

Tony and Dorina. Bh24 2qj no 7.

We made this trip last December and can confirm that it is acceptable to arrive at the port and park up for the night (though don't arrive too early and take advantage). Set your alarm clock in order to wake up in good time to join the queue for the boarding formalities.

Plenty of parking at Port Solent Marina on the A27. Restaurants, shops, cinema as well Less the 10 mins from the port. You can see the ferry terminal from there. Check out on google

PJay

PS would be quieter than the port, as no lorries

PJay

I've always parked on the docks overnight and never been told not to park there. Once the last ferry has departed it's fairly quiet. As a matter of interest regarding the marina, are there any private parking wardens roaming about that stick penalty notices on your windscreen? They used to be quite common around the Tesco superstore area.

Used Port Solent twice now at the David Lloyd car park. We've used the services on offer though at the Port food and drink - if that makes any difference.

We parked earlier in the year further down the Port, there's an area of cleared flat land, there are no No Parking signs anywhere but got asked later on to move by a uniformed person.

Apologies from us and pointing out a lack of signage made no difference - clear off.

Went and parked on David Lloyd.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-11-12 8:07 PM

Used Port Solent twice now at the David Lloyd car park. We've used the services on offer though at the Port food and drink - if that makes any difference.

We parked earlier in the year further down the Port, there's an area of cleared flat land, there are no No Parking signs anywhere but got asked later on to move by a uniformed person.

Apologies from us and pointing out a lack of signage made no difference - clear off.

Went and parked on David Lloyd.

Martyn

Martyn

The place you parked is private land and will be full of parked boats in the winter. Outside D lloyd centre is marked parking and in front of the cinema. So should be OK. There aren't notices about overnight parking, because some of the boat owners have to park there. (We used to, for days at a time)

PJay

rolandrat - 2015-11-12 7:24 PM

I've always parked on the docks overnight and never been told not to park there. Once the last ferry has departed it's fairly quiet. As a matter of interest regarding the marina, are there any private parking wardens roaming about that stick penalty notices on your windscreen? They used to be quite common around the Tesco superstore area.

Never seen wardens at Port Solent, but Tesco yes have a 3hr (or maybe 2) restriction. There used to be a lot of problems with the "Travelling Fraternity" but not seen them in recent years

PJay

Hello again Iain

I have just looked up mmm list of motorhome parking for Hampshire.

3 entries, Eastleigh park and ride at Twyford Road, SO50 4LF,

Winchester at St Catherines Park and Ride,, leave m3 at junction 11 southbound, double back to junction 10 northbound,

Also Hockley Link South Winchester carpark SO21 2FG,

and Worthy Lane Coach Park, SO23 7AB.

None specifically mention overnight, can or cant,

Hope it might be some alternative help.

tonyg3nwl.

Overnight parking at Portsmouth has been discussed on the forum in the past (example here)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Overnight-stay-on-dockside-/33907/

We habitually travel from Portsmouth to France on a Brittany Ferries Sunday sailing that leaves at 14:45. We usually arrive in Portsmouth around noon and are then ready for some scoff in the motorhome. On the last two trips (September and October 2015) rather than go directly to the ferry-port, we’ve headed for Port Solent to eat and kill some time prior to embarkation.

Coming from the west on the M27 the route to Port Solent is circuitous (map here)

http://www.portsolent.com/directions/

and – although Port Solent is well road-signed - the first time I tried getting there I hadn’t bothered to enter coordinates into the sat-nav and lost heart before actually reaching Port Solent itself. Having spotted a handy near-empty private car-park on the way, that’s where we stayed to eat and while away some time and, as it was Sunday, nobody bothered us. (Obviously overnighting there or parking there during the working week would have invited trouble!)

Having learnt my lesson, the 2nd time we went to Portsmouth I had loaded up the sat-nav. I found my way to Port Solent OK and drove into the first large car-park off Marina Keep. This was quite busy and clearly designed for cars not motorhomes, so I decided to follow Pauline’s advice and head onwards and westwards on Marina Keep (as she says, beware the traffic-calming speed bumps) towards the water, ending up on a large mostly empty area where a few boats were being worked on. (This may be where Martyn parked, but nobody told us to leave.) There were other alternative parking places nearby (some with raised entrance-barriers) where we might have stayed and, because it was Sunday and quiet, would probably have been OK for an hour or two.

If there is a moral to this tale, it’s that the Port Solent coordinates should be put into the sat-nav (especially if you are going there in the dark) and that finding parking at the westmost end of Marina Keep may need a degree of care if you are unfamiliar with the place.

(There is a large Park&Ride facility close to the ferry-port at Portsmouth

http://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/index.shtml

that is usable by motorhomes during the day but is closed overnight.)

I see your ferry leaves at 11.45, so I guess you will be arriving the evening of 19th ?

You should not have a problem at that time, and as I said earlier, there are eating places. Should you need supplies, there is a very large Tesco close by, but you can not park overnight, plenty of parking around, (Tesco) but will be noisy as next to the A27and M27. I live 5 mins from P Solent. so if you need any more help PM me

P

As regular visitors to the area my choice of limited parking would be Clarence Esplanade, a stretch of road facing the Solent and the IOW, about 1 mile from the ferry, between the D Day Museum and the hovercraft terminal.

You have a sailing receipt if anyone queries you being there.

Thank you all, for your great suggestions and offers of help, this was very much a post, to help us plan. Which is quite hard with the weather at that time of year, infact as I prode the tablet the snow is falling, I hate when the forecasters are right. Tony I will pm you later. So thanks agn, and I will post once there is a plan.

Cheers all

You can definitely park up overnight free on the check in area of Britanny Ferries-used this crossing many times and BF advertise on the website that you can park there. Suggest you don't arrive too early though as there is a ferry goes out around 8pm. After that there is no problem-the guards will show you where to park on the chevrons.

There is also a nice sailors pub across the road from the check in area called Ship & Castle that does nice meals if you want one.

We'll be there 22nd Jan and Zaragoza 24th if anyone is about?

Mike

Archived