Lose Window

tugga

Well, I did a good job of wrecking one of our blinds, my hand slipped when trying to put it up and I caught the handle of the fly screen and it whipped up so quick it broke something inside. When OH got the internal frame off and unscrewed the necessary bits, the outside of the window came away from the side wall of the motorhome. We are thinking putting it back and sealing it with Sikaflex - is this the best method or should we use anything else more suitable?

We have checked and no, we haven't got any damp in the area - phew!!

If you use a ‘constructional’ adhesive/sealant (eg. Sikaflex 512-Caravan) you should anticipate having a helluva job removing the window afterwards should that ever prove necessary.

Received wisdom is that you should use a non-hardening sealant (example here)

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/exterior-parts-and-accessories/installation-products/dekalin/dekaseal-8936-cartridge-310ml-1808.htm

Me, I’d use something like Dekaseal 8936 to produce a waterproof seal between the window and the motorhome’s body-side, and then use something like Sikaflex 512 to produce a ‘clean’ finish around the edge of the window frame.

Wise words from Derek re replacing the window.

Did you find out what broke inside ? I had 3 windows on the Carthago where the flyscreens failed to retract. In each case it was a little plastic retainer that had broken (the one that tensions the flyscreens).

I purchased replacement parts from Premier Motorhomes in Chichester, Sussex.

Thanks Derek for your input, we will take your advice and buy your recommendations.

Robbo, how I wish we had known that we could buy the individual parts from Premier. We went to Leisureshop Direct and have had to buy the complete set of parts that come in a kit - d'oh!

The blinds do get stiff after a while don't they? Does the top of your internal framework go up under the top lockers? Ours do and its a bugger to get the screws out.

I seem to remember my replacement parts came in a kit but they weren't that expensive.

The only window I had real difficulty with (getting to the screws) was the kitchen one where I had to partially remove the extractor fan housing. Happy days !!!

Archived