Hobby vans

Brian Kirby

[/QUOTE] The new IH Campers conversion on the 2007 Fiat Ducato is done on a LHD base vehicle, for their demonstrator, so they would be able to build a LHD for you. www.ihcampers.co.uk Harvey [/QUOTE]

Thanks Harvey. 

I've just had another look at the website.  The plan does look good - but the Price.........!!!!

I can get a Knaus V Liner A Class in Europe for £34,000, which makes £40,000 for a 'van conversion look a bit steep, to put it mildly.

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-11-11 4:36 PM Dave, You haven't come across this problem yourself then (?) I'm very wary of some of these so called engineers/experts opinions. I wonder how many Tribute owners are aware of this problem. Is there only one model/layout (?) Don[/QUOTE] No I haven't but then I don't as yet do any gas work do I? He actually worked for Dometic and told me about this problem with the tribute because otherwise he said it was a cracking little 'van. I wonder how many motorhome owners think that a hab service/check includes a full service of all the gas appliances as opposed to just seeing if they light or not, which as far as I can ascertain is what most of the dealers hab checks amount to. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-11 7:07 PM [QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-11-11 4:36 PM Dave, You haven't come across this problem yourself then (?) I'm very wary of some of these so called engineers/experts opinions. I wonder how many Tribute owners are aware of this problem. Is there only one model/layout (?) Don[/QUOTE] I wonder how many motorhome owners think that a hab service/check includes a full service of all the gas appliances as opposed to just seeing if they light or not, which as far as I can ascertain is what most of the dealers hab checks amount to. D.[/QUOTE] Dave, I think/know your right about the hab checks, I know that Timberland also do a pressure test on their checks. don

There was an article in a past MMM of someone who fitted a third grille in the side of their van so that the fridge could be fully serviced from outside by removing the grilles. Just a thought. Clive - Master of "Off topic" As I said Dusseldorf it is then!

We have just ordered a new Hobby Van at the NEC. This is to be our first motor caravan so I hope we made the right decision. We spent 3 days at NEC after already researching the subject. We narrowed our choice down to the new Hobby, Hymer Van, Rapido 707 & the dethleff Globevan/Globebus. We were very tempted by the quality of the Rapido but its' extra width put us off. The Hobby offered everything we wanted, just within our budget and as they were selling out before our eyes, so we made our decision there & then. We prefered the layout of the Hobby to the Hymer. We hope to take delivery in April. B-)

Hi there, In answer to the original question posted. I have owned a Hobby 650 for almost 5 yrs now, which I guess could count as relatively 'recent' in terms of the design and build cycles of this particular marque. Myself and my wife spend about 6 months of the year in it, covering an average of 7000 miles per year. I am happy to say that the 650 has proved to be an excellent vehicle in almost every respect. I say almost, as we were never very happy with the colours of the original upholstery and had a complete re-upholstery job (excellent) done at Regal Upholstery, Ilkeston. We were happy to go to this extra expense as the general integrity of the vehicle indicated to us that we would be happy to keep it for a long period of use. Indeed the vehicle still looks in 'as new' condition inside and out and has not dated in appearance despite having a pre-facelift cab. This may be because Hobby seem to change their designs far less frequently than most manufacturers. In general terms, Hobby paintwork is not always the best and there have been disconcerting instances on some vehicles of paint blistering. Also, on those models which have the attractive window bezels that stand proud of the bodywork, there have been instances of minor water ingress via the edges of those bezels after a few years. This is a well known problem however, is easily and cheaply rectified or modified and is not enough to deter potential ownership. I have spent years in the company of motorhomers of all nationalities and water ingress is a problem that can and will inflict upon any manufacturers products without respect for reputation. The one piece roof of the Hobby 600 and 700 series is however excellent at keeping the weather at bay for many years without attention. Being old enough to remember many of the Fiat offerings of years gone by, I was initially a little apprehensive about the prospect of having a Fiat cab. I have to say though that my Fiat 2.8JTD is an excellent vehicle/engine and is one of the reasons that I am convinced of the future longevity of the whole vehicle. My Hobby 650 was originally sourced from Autohaus Frey http://home.mobile.de/Autohaus-Frey in Germany by Bundesvan http://www.bundesvan.co.uk/ The whole experience proved to be most satisfactory and I can especially recommend the latter for a stress free transaction. If anybody has any specific information they would like regarding the Hobby or Bundesvan, then please contact me at steveheather@hotmail.com . I'll be pleased to help answer any questions. Nobby

Hi We collected our Hobby new in May and have covered some 4500 miles thus far. Two problems thus far the main one on the Ford base vehicle being the brake warning light came on spasmodically - as always with occassional problems it took 4 visits to our ford dealer but all sorted now. Second problem was one of the window cassettes almost falling off - i could hear a bang as we drove along and found two screws had come adrift - needless to say this was miles from anywhere in middle of Dolomites so i split some wooden matches to pack the holes and screwed the loose side back - thus far its survived anither 1000 mies ok. Only other slight concern if water that pools on roof however i park (front down or up or sideways. That all being said we are really pleased with layout, performance, fuel consumption. and ability to get to some really remote places up some very very steep and narrow roads. Vert comfortable and i would give high marks. I know i will always be picky and never entirely satisfied whatever i get but this has ticked most of the boxes. Peter

Archived