Air in water pump

Keith B

In my autocruise Starburst 2006 I have recently had a problem with air spluttering each time I use the water from either the bathroom or kitchen.It clears after running a few seconds , but then next time I run taps the same thing.Any ideas of likely problem?

Keith

Crumbs ........ the air has blown all the text away?

Edit..... Well it had, then it suddenly blew back in!

Obviously an air leak somewhere - I always get this the first time of use after a drain down, and then I think it's air and water mixing at the pump. After a while it stops then that's it for the season. Suggest check the pipes near the pump?

Yes definitely check pipes for a small leak. Have you noticed any puddles?? With a 10 year old van rubber/plastic may have deteriorated .

Good point , ours is same age ,though we don't have the problem, think we should check our pipes, I have thought that maybe our pump is wearing, worth a look at as well

Let us know if you find anything

PJay

AFAIK all motorhome water systems will include a non-return valve either in the pump, or near it. Its function is to prevent water pumped into the system from the tank from draining back into the tank. They are a bit prone to becoming blocked by limescale or any small particles that have found their way into the tank and been ingested through the pump. Once blocked, or partially obstructed, some of the system water will drain back to the tank, so that next time a tap is opened there will be a splutter before the pump re-pressurises the system. So I would suggest checking this valve as well as looking for leaks. Don't forget to check for leaks at the connections to the taps and shower control, as well as around the tank.

Quite likely to be air drawn in to the pump via the inlet filter, especially if it the original type fitted to that age motorhome. It's a design that has been superseded and fitting the later type will fix it.

I had the same problem and filmed a short video of replacing the pump (due to it leaking) and includes mention of the filter problem.

Hope this helps.

My first suspicion would be the non return valve.

Only when that has been proven sound and i had ensured that all joints and hose clips were tight and secure would I start taking other bits apart to look for an issue that may or may not be there.

Always start with the easiest things to cure or rule out.

Keith B - 2015-11-27 9:02 AM

In my autocruise Starburst 2006 I have recently had a problem with air spluttering each time I use the water from either the bathroom or kitchen.It clears after running a few seconds , but then next time I run taps the same thing.Any ideas of likely problem?

Keith

We had exactly the same problem this summer. Splutted on opening the taps then was ok except flow got slower. Flushing tbe toilet was a problem. We eventually found a very small leak around the pump area, eventually located it to be coming from the face to face joint around tbe pump itself. I stripped it down, cleaned it out and reassembled it but it still leaked. Did this 3 more times with the same result. I had to admit defeat and bought some liquid gasket which solved the problem. I might not be so happy if I have to get it apart again in the future.

What i can't understand is why the pump did not activate when water leaked out and air went in.

Cliffy - 2015-12-01 8:09 PM

What i can't understand is why the pump did not activate when water leaked out and air went in.

Possibly because the leak was on the low pressure suction side of the pump from the tank?

Had it been on the high pressure to the taps side the pump would probably have ticked away to maintain the pressure when the taps were off thus alerting you to the problem.

Archived