Motorhome day parking

mellyw

Hello and welcome to the forum,

No, there are various rules and restrictions, depends on the Council involved, some restrictions are based on size, ie you mustn't overhang a parking bay BUT are not always allowed to pay for 2 bays, or based on weight ie no vehicles over 2.5 tonnes. Or height ie No vehicles over 2.5 metres. A lot of ways to relieve the unwary of 70 pounds. It does make you wonder if Councils have a grudge against motor homes. .??

If you know in advance that you are going somewhere in the van and need to park, then it's worth looking on the internet to see what local motorhome parking is available and perhaps confirming by email if you remain in doubt. On the few occasions I used email, I put a copy in the van window for the traffic warden to read.

Generally, as said, it depends on so many factors and even if you read the parking signs, they don't often refer to motorhomes. Use your common sense and if in doubt, don't park without asking first. Parking within the lines is a must in most situations and paying for the bays you use is quite common now.

You have a vehicle which can be parked the same as any other, unless there are specific rules saying otherwise, that is when the above answers come into affect.

Over the last few days have been in north norfolk and by luck or judgement have managed to find parking which treats our van the same as a car.

Rayjsj - 2015-12-05 6:25 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum,

No, there are various rules and restrictions, depends on the Council involved, some restrictions are based on size, ie you mustn't overhang a parking bay BUT are not always allowed to pay for 2 bays, or based on weight ie no vehicles over 2.5 tonnes. Or height ie No vehicles over 2.5 metres. A lot of ways to relieve the unwary of 70 pounds. It does make you wonder if Councils have a grudge against motor homes. .??

A grudge... :-D Not up for question but not as bad as it used to be. A lot depends on the size of your 'van. Having said that. The official name for a parking ticket is a PCN (penalty charge notice). If you park where all other cars and commercial vans park, you know the sort of thing, like your base vehicle that the camper is built on and you stick to the same rules as they do then you are in the clear. It's when the dreaded "No Motorhomes" sign appears is where councils introduce the smoke and mirrors and bully boy tactics. so you have parked in a no motorhomes restricted area and you get your PNC on the screen or posted to you. Have a look at the code number that comes after the letters PCN. It is usually number 91. This means you have parked the wrong class of vehicle in that area and as the sign said "no motorhomes" that is what the charge is. It is the only charge the council can issue. The trouble is that the DVLA will tell you that a motorhome has no class. (sorry about that) Indeed if you look on the web site or even on the back of your driving license a motorhome doesn't get a look in where the word "class" is concerned so you cannot be fined for parking the wrong class of vehicle but If they issue a PCN for the wrong type of vehicle because that is what DVLA define a motorhome/camper to be you have to pay up. That is unlikely to happen though because there is no PCN number for the wrong" type" of vehicle so it cannot be issued if it doesn't exist and it doesn't......yet

Billggski - 2015-12-10 10:18 AM

I find supermarkets the safest bet when in unfamiliar territory. I usually park out of the way, but why oh why does someone always come and park right next to me? Usually on the habitation door side!

That has often happened to me on the continent.

In France I asked a local why it happens and he explained that people in cars do it to park in the shade from the hot sun.

( But that doesn't explain why it happens over here ).

;-)

malc d - 2015-12-10 12:45 PM

Billggski - 2015-12-10 10:18 AM

I find supermarkets the safest bet when in unfamiliar territory. I usually park out of the way, but why oh why does someone always come and park right next to me? Usually on the habitation door side!

That has often happened to me on the continent.

In France I asked a local why it happens and he explained that people in cars do it to park in the shade from the hot sun.

( But that doesn't explain why it happens over here ).

;-)

H ha, it's a French thing, they are masters at it, The Germans will block your view and the Dutch will be very sociable or very rude and all will have a go at the brits.. Only joking :-D I had my electric step damaged by an old chap in Spain when he was trying to use my van for shade

Archived