Off to Spain

Mike B.

Heading to Spain on 08.45 Portsmouth to Bilbao, Saturday 22nd January 2016. Is anyone else booked on this ferry? Or has anyone been on the Baie du Sienne with a motorhome?

Looking at the deck plan it appears Motorhomes are parked in side on deck 4 and just wanted to know if this was correct. We came home on BF last year and we were parked outside and van was covered in sooty oil etc when we got to Portsmouth

Thanks

Mike

Guest pelmetman
Mike B. - 2015-12-09 3:11 PM

We came home on BF last year and we were parked outside and van was covered in sooty oil etc when we got to Portsmouth

Thanks

Mike

Well at least that'll help protect your bodywork from the salty spray ;-) ...........

We head South soon.....cant wait to get my shorts and flipflops out again B-) ........

keninpalamos - 2015-12-09 3:32 PM

No Mike Dover Tuesday to Palamos just north of Barcelona.

We were in Palamos earlier this year at Camping Internatiomal Palamos I would not recommend the Campsite but the sea front of Palamos is worth the visit. If you are going south down the coast I would certainly recommend Camping Bara Park (not ACSI but as cheap or cheaper) it fronts the beach just north of Tarragona and south of Barcelona. It is an easy train ride in to Barcelona from there 12 Euros each return.

pelmetman - 2015-12-09 6:37 PM

Mike B. - 2015-12-09 3:11 PM

We came home on BF last year and we were parked outside and van was covered in sooty oil etc when we got to Portsmouth

Thanks

Mike

Well at least that'll help protect your bodywork from the salty spray ;-) ...........

We head South soon.....cant wait to get my shorts and flipflops out again B-) ........

Took me ages to get it off-had to wash the complete van by hand with caravan compound to get it off!-think I'd rather have the salt water -at least I could have hosed it down!

Mike B

I think you’ll find that it’s pot-luck whether motorhomes are carried inside on Baie de Seine’s Deck 4 or outside on Deck 6.

Although the Britanny Ferries Information leaflet for this ship may seem to suggest that motorhomes would be carried on Deck 4, that deck is really for trucks. If you were driving a 11-meter long RV they’d almost certainly put you on Deck 4, but your Elnagh could just as likely end up outside on Deck 6.

This October 2015 discussion (that I notice you posted to) mentions ‘outside’ motorhome parking on Baie de Seine:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ecomomie-or-Cruise/39669/

I’m doubtful that Brittany Ferries would be prepared to confirm in advance that your motorhome could travel to Spain inside on Deck 4, but you might ask the loading staff during embarkation if that’s possible. If there’s plenty of spare space on Deck 4 (which might well be the case in late-January) and you smile prettily, they might agree to do this rather than stick you on Deck 6.

(I prefer not to have my vehicles outside on ferry crossings as, even if they don’t get ‘sooted’, the salt spray mucks up the windows. On our Portsmouth-Caen trip in October I asked the loading attendant whether my motorhome would end up inside. She said “Probably”, but I could be jammed in with the trucks if I really insisted and there was room.)

our van is over 3. mtr high (Just). i book as 4 mtr high, and have been put with the trucks, on occasion. Can be a bit daunting when you come to get back in the Mh, when all the huge trucks are around you !!Q

They appear to price on length , not height

PJay

Thanks Cliff, Stayed @ Colonge International on the Plaja D'Aro road 15years ago That's the one with the wooden foot bridge over the road to access the beach. I now live in Palamos 6 to 7 months of the year so know the area well. One friend has had a bar called El Castellet in the old town of Palamos since 1968. There is an aire on the edge of Palamos for motorhomes at about 6€ but could be more by now. It opened 2 years ago but the location is up a hill.

Archived