Car hire abroad......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Has anyone done it since they brought in the new DVLA license code rules?..........

Are they asking for the code, or just accepting the plastic bit of license :-S ........

Not a major issue I suppose if you have a computer, and know your national insurance number ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2015-12-12 7:51 PM

....not abroad, but when I hired a 'van two weeks ago, they insisted on both having the code and seeing the licence (and I have an old, pink paper licence!).

Which is why I posed the question, as I too have hired vans recently........between breakdowns :D ......and knowing the code is only valid for 21 days, therefore us folk who clear off for months at a time, there's no point in printing one off before we go.........

So I was just wondering if Johnny foreigner is asking for the code ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2015-12-12 8:15 PM

Why not e mail the Company you are planning on using and asking them? I gather that many Spanish ones are not bothering with any code, but it is always a good idea to check.

There's the rub Dave........I'm not planning on hiring ;-) ...........But I may feel the urge :D .......but as you have alluded that many Spanish hire company's are not fussed about the code, kinda answers my question B-) ..........

As a regular traveller to Europe I always travel with a plastic licence supplied by the local licensing authority that is a state government dept. This plastic licence has my photo. Additionally I carry an "International" licence that is issued by the local motoring organisation equal to your AA. The rental companies seem only to be interested in the plastic licence however if you get stopped by the local copper they sometimes also want to see your international licence. I have been randomly stopped in both France and Spain and they asked for the international licence however in Italy the plastic was ok. So much for the common EU approach
Cheers,

pelmetman - 2015-12-12 8:32 PM

Why not e mail the Company you are planning on using and asking them? I gather that many Spanish ones are not bothering with any code, but it is always a good idea to check.

There's the rub Dave........I'm not planning on hiring ;-) ...........But I may feel the urge :D .......but as you have alluded that many Spanish hire company's are not fussed about the code, kinda answers my question B-) ..........

No probs, but if you have ideas of where you may 'feel the urge' then contact the various Companies to see their policies. One way to track them down is to look for the nearest airport and check which Companies are located there. In many cases that will be the location to collect the car, unless you find a local rental agency, which may or may not be a good deal. By the way if you have never hired from the Company you choose before, be prepared to have to spend time filling in paperwork. Once this is done then you are on file, and a subsequent rental should be much faster. Also, just for advice, check the fule policy carefully as some hireres will supply, and charge for a full tank but do not credit for anything left. These are usually the ones with the cheapest up front rates, so check the conditions.

pelmetman - 2015-12-12 7:41 PM

Has anyone done it since they brought in the new DVLA license code rules?..........

Are they asking for the code, or just accepting the plastic bit of license :-S ........

Not a major issue I suppose if you have a computer, and know your national insurance number ;-) .........

Hi Dave John here at lo monte just asked a couple of lads on site who have hired a car and they have told me just the plastic part john ps Hope you and Sue are both well.

Dave225 - 2015-12-13 4:23 PM

No probs, but if you have ideas of where you may 'feel the urge' then contact the various Companies to see their policies. One way to track them down is to look for the nearest airport and check which Companies are located there. In many cases that will be the location to collect the car, unless you find a local rental agency, which may or may not be a good deal. By the way if you have never hired from the Company you choose before, be prepared to have to spend time filling in paperwork. Once this is done then you are on file, and a subsequent rental should be much faster. Also, just for advice, check the fule policy carefully as some hireres will supply, and charge for a full tank but do not credit for anything left. These are usually the ones with the cheapest up front rates, so check the conditions.

There are usually two ways rental cars are dealt with re fuel. Take it out full bring it back full. Take it as it is , (ie half full bring it back half full), bring it back the same. Simples

Just back from 3+ weeks around Malaga and had hire car booked before we went...no difference in booking procedure from previous times......no code required just licence, licence number, address and passport.  I suspect the big boys, Avis, Hertz and the like might require the DVLA numbers but more than likely the smaller ones either don't know or can't be bothered about it........oh and my licence is the old green one written in Sumerian on parchment  :-)

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2015-12-14 9:21 PM

Just back from 3+ weeks around Malaga and had hire car booked before we went...no difference in booking procedure from previous times......no code required just licence, licence number, address and passport.  I suspect the big boys, Avis, Hertz and the like might require the DVLA numbers but more than likely the smaller ones either don't know or can't be bothered about it........oh and my licence is the old green one written in Sumerian on parchment  :-)

I didn't know a chariot licence was valid for motorised vehicles :D ..............

starvin marvin - 2015-12-14 8:49 PM

Dave225 - 2015-12-13 4:23 PM

There are usually two ways rental cars are dealt with re fuel. Take it out full bring it back full. Take it as it is , (ie half full bring it back half full), bring it back the same. Simples

Yes, but not as 'simples' as that. Here are the terms and conditions for just one hirer. Note that the price you pay for the full tank is not forecourt prices, but higher and also note the admion charge

" Pre-Purchase (partial refund)

With this fuel policy, your car will be provided with a full tank of fuel.

Some suppliers require you to leave a deposit at the service desk. In this case, your deposit is refunded upon return, minus the supplier’s fuel admin fee.

For suppliers that do not require a deposit, the fuel cost is calculated when the car is returned. This cost is based on the amount of fuel used, and is added to the supplier’s fuel admin fee.

All fuel charges are payable at the supplier’s service desk unless otherwise stated.

The fuel admin fee ranges from a minimum of $24.79 to a maximum of $34.54. This includes 21% tax.

The admin fee is non-refundable regardless of the amount of fuel upon return.

Fuel charges are payable at the rental desk unless otherwise stated in the top section of rate details."

Depending on the length of hire it can often be chaeaper to take a dearer dy rate and get a better fuel policy. Just check the T&C's

Archived