National Three Peak sites

Pipkim

We are currently planning our 2016 itinerary and we would like to do the National Three Peaks [snowdon; Scafell Pike; Ben Nevis] in, maybe 24 weeks (certainly not 24 hrs!].. Are there any recommendations for suitably located CL's or CS's that would allow us to attempt these mountains?

Thanks in anticipation,

PilgrimPhil

TBH, if you want to walk from site, there isn't much choice for any of these.

For Snowdon, unless you want the drudgery of walking up the railway, or the excitement of Crib Goch, I'd recommend climbing from Rhyd Ddu. It's a quieter and attainable route, whilst being quite interesting. It is possible to do this from the Camping in the Forest site at Bedgellert (and, with timing, you might be able to use the train for the walk in and out).

For Ben Nevis, IMO the only viable option is the Glen Nevis Campsite, which leaves you right at the bottom of the tourist track.

..and for Scafell Pike, Church Stile Camping at Nether Wasdale is probably the best jumping off point, though if you're camper van size, you could try the NT campsite at Wasdale Head.

Three good days' walk there!

45 years ago I did the whole thing in a weekend. 910 miles from Friday 6pm to Sunday 4pm. Stupidly dangerous, as driver fatigue was the biggest safety factor. Rode part of the way down Snowdon on a rock balanced on the rail line. Done once when young, but only once.

Edit ... Sorry, I forgot to add that I endorse Robinhoods suggestions. The Wasdale Head campsite is as good as it gets for Scafell

spospe - 2015-12-22 4:57 PM

45 years ago I did the whole thing in a weekend. 910 miles from Friday 6pm to Sunday 4pm. Stupidly dangerous, as driver fatigue was the biggest safety factor. Rode part of the way down Snowdon on a rock balanced on the rail line. Done once when young, but only once.

You are right about that......though i did it in 24 hours as a driver 20 years ago. It was a fund raising event with work colleagues and we drove off in a fleet of around a dozen cars blasting up the motorway at crazy speeds to do Ben Nevis first. By the time we'd driven back down to do Scafell i was completely shattered and fell asleep in the car once parked up whilst the "nutters" went off up the mountain.

I woke to be greeted by the sight of one of my passengers, a busty lass from Admin offices, dropping her shorts to change.

I went back to sleep!!! (lol)

spospe - 2015-12-22 4:57 PM

Rode part of the way down Snowdon on a rock balanced on the rail line. Done once when young, but only once.

...been there, done that - slate on the central (greasy) rack.

I did climb Snowdon 4 times in one day, as well - Done once when young, but only once. ;-)

Thanks for those responses. We did use the NT site at Wasdale Head when we attempted Scafell Pike a few years ago but were beaten back by the rain & low cloud at Styhead Pass [just be the Stretcher Box to be precise!].

Lots to plan now.

PilgrimPhil

Fort William Rugby Club are friendly they provide camping space for Charity Events so I would think they would be open to you having a drink there and parking up for the night.

Glen Nevis campsite is right at the foot of The Ben so it ideal and a great site, it depends which way you swing.

Archived