Rusty Brake Discs

audiseller

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some brake rotors are treated to prevent corrosion, but untreated cast-iron rotors will rust to a greater or lesser degree depending on the conditions and the metal composition.

Hyde’s Serum Rustopper

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=naF6VuGHA9KFaI6Oq9gH#q=hyde%27s+serum

is intended to stop rotor-rusting, but it’s aimed more at ‘pretty’ cars rather than static motorhomes.

Unless you treat the discs with the sort of stuff Derek mentioned once you have parked up they will rust.  I say 'parked up' because driving and consequently using the brakes will remove the coating that this product leaves on the discs to prevent rust.   So unless you can find a way of excluding oxygen and damp from getting at your discs they will rust and I doubt you will be able to do that.......and wheel covers will be of no help in stopping rust.  We live in a damp/humid/wet climate therefore rust is always going to be a 'problem'. 

RogerC - 2015-12-23 3:09 PMUnless you treat the discs with the sort of stuff Derek mentioned once you have parked up they will rust.  I say 'parked up' because driving and consequently using the brakes will remove the coating that this product leaves on the discs to prevent rust.   So unless you can find a way of excluding oxygen and damp from getting at your discs they will rust and I doubt you will be able to do that.......and wheel covers will be of no help in stopping rust.  We live in a damp/humid/wet climate therefore rust is always going to be a 'problem'. 

That's what prompted the query!

Derek Uzzell - 2015-12-23 1:43 PM

Some brake rotors are treated to prevent corrosion, but untreated cast-iron rotors will rust to a greater or lesser degree depending on the conditions and the metal composition.

Hyde’s Serum Rustopper

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=naF6VuGHA9KFaI6Oq9gH#q=hyde%27s+serum

is intended to stop rotor-rusting, but it’s aimed more at ‘pretty’ cars rather than static motorhomes.

My cars' discs rust after a day or two but not an issue as they are normally frequently used except when I am away in the motorhome. I've never really looked at the condition of the ones on the van but you can certainly hear the roughness on initial application. I suppose the real issue would be application to the inboard side of the discs.

Same issue as the OP. We've been laid up since the beginning of the month in wet wales and will be here for another month or so. The discs on the side of the MH that faces the worst of the weather (west) are rusty, the ones on the other side of the MH look like the day we arrived with no rust.

Looking to give the MH a run out in the new year to remove the rust and then maybe wheel covers. However, I don't think rusty discs will be a problem as some used motorhomes must sit on dealers' forecourts for months and then the new owner/s just drive them away.

Most brake discs on most vehicles will look rusty after a few hours.

Whether it was a visit to the car wash or a drive in wet weather....it is normal. :-D

If they rusted after a few weeks most would be undriveable.....but they aren't!

Rust starts to form on cast iron the instant machining stops.

I remember taking off some brake drums outdoors and being interrupted by a light shower leaving the shiny drum unprotected. Twenty minutes later I went outside as the sun was out and had already dried the now lightly rusted drums.

Standing outdoors in the UK, overnight condensation accelerates corrosion.

Anything left on the disc has to come off before use to avoid contamination of the friction surfaces.

To prevent the rust biting deep just use the vehicle about once a fortnight and if its garaged afterwards wet its best if the brakes are warm so they dry off rapidly.

As has already been stated the only way to prevent surface rust from forming on the disc would be to exclude all oxygen. This might be achieved in 2 ways, either you must coat the entire friction surface of the disc with something like paint or oil, this would include removing the brake calipers so that you can cover the entire friction surface, and when you want to use the van you would have to remove the coating and refit the calipers. It is probably do-able , but Sod's Law says that the coating would not be perfect and the disc would go rusty anyway. Alternatively you could fabricate some sort of enclosure for each wheel that you could hermetically seal around the complete wheel/hub/suspension unit, pump out all the air and replace it with an innert gas that would prevent oxidisation. When you want to use the van you would just remove the covers and let the gas out, and off you go.

However, there could be a way......

You know how some unbelievably rich nutters buy really expensive cars to keep as an investment. They sometimes store them in great big, hermetically sealed plastic bags in which a vacuum has been formed, and they stay pristine for decades. So, if you have the space, the time, and the inclination, you could create a large motorhome shaped plastic bag into which you could drive your van. Connect a dehumidifier and a modest heater with sensors and relays to switch them on and off as needed, and it could be practical to have your van totally protected, but available for use in an instant. No more draining down for the winter, no more taking all the soft furnishings indoors etc, just drive in, close the zip and switch on.

Personally, as we've been driving around for more than 50 years now in vehicles equipped with disc brakes, and the surface rust hasn't been a problem, I think I'll just carry on as normal, content that it does no harm, and will rub off as soon as I touch the brakes.

The intriguing thing is, why was no-one apparently bothered when it was brake drums rusting, inside and out?

AGD

Thanks for the replies. Some of you seemed to miss the part of my post that said "static for a period of time". I am aware that discs rust normally and regular use prevents that from being a problem but I do not wish to disturb my pitch during a 3 months stay.

The Kent product sounds good Derek and I may well give that a try although it will probably only be possible to treat the outer faces due to the rear shrouds.

ken the kontiki - 2015-12-24 4:56 PM

So this Kent stuff, you just spray it onto a clean, cold disc and that's it? And it needs no special removal - you just drive away as normal after weeks or months?

Or am I missing something?

Sounds good if it's as straightforward as that!

ken the kontiki - 2015-12-24 4:56 PM

So this Kent stuff, you just spray it onto a clean, cold disc and that's it? And it needs no special removal - you just drive away as normal after weeks or months?

Or am I missing something?

Read the datasheet Note2...it explains. Link provided by Derek above

The Kent advert defines their brake disc rust-protection spray’s objective as providing an “attractive and beneficial appearance of the vehicle for automobile trade”. These types of product are not really intended to prevent corrosion of brake discs when a vehicle is in regular use.

As audiseller points out, being able to spray both surfaces of a disc may prove impracticable (eg. with a Ducato’s rear discs) and even treating front discs effectively may be a challenge with the road-wheels in place.

I owned my last motorhome (a 2005 FWD Ford Transit-based Hobby) for 9 years and every year it hibernated outside my house virtually immobile in all weathers from November through mid-March. I used to move it occasionally to transfer the load around the tyres, but I never drove it on the road during those months.

Come March I would remove the Hobby’s front wheels, clean the disc surfaces with wire-wool and – if a ‘lip’ had developed on the discs’ outer edges – file this off. Although surface rusting of the disc surfaces did take place, it was never sufficient to cause pitting and the surfaces soon cleaned up once the motorhome began to be driven.

The Hobby had drum rear brakes which were dismantled and inspected annually when the vehicle was serviced, and there was no evidence of friction-surface corrosion. It is worth saying (and as Muswell warns) that, with drum brakes, if the handbrake is left on for a long period there’s a real risk that the brake-shoes will adhere solidly to the drums.

Covering a motorhome’s wheels as bigrab1888 suggests might well reduce rusting by minimising the opportunity for rain to reach the disc from outside, but I never experimented to see how effective this ploy might be.

I have never, ever heard of brake drums/discs being unserviceable because of rust when the vehicle has been static for less than 6 months. Even periods over this very rarely cause a problem.

Please tell me that this thread is a wind up?? (lol)

Personally i'd be more concerned the calipers are kept functioning rather than a bit of surface rust on discs. 3 months is nothing and the pads will soon sort that out within the first few miles. When i had a car i used to run that in the winter and SORN my van. I eventually sold the car after realising i'd only done 1800 miles in it one year and now use my van all year round.

EJB - 2015-12-25 9:35 AM

I have never, ever heard of brake drums/discs being unserviceable because of rust when the vehicle has been static for less than 6 months. Even periods over this very rarely cause a problem.

I am with you has to be a windup, getting bored during Christmas period perhaps. Rust on brakes, who cares, the usual suspects giving long lectures on how to stop it, why would anyone bother. Still whatever keeps you happy I guess, must be fun removing all the wheels in the rain, preforming contortions to try and spray the rear of the discs, lovely and good luck with that. Merry Christmas all. *-)

rupert123 - 2015-12-26 11:37 AM

I am with you has to be a windup, getting bored during Christmas period perhaps. Rust on brakes, who cares, the usual suspects giving long lectures on how to stop it, why would anyone bother. Still whatever keeps you happy I guess, must be fun removing all the wheels in the rain, preforming contortions to try and spray the rear of the discs, lovely and good luck with that. Merry Christmas all. *-)

I note that you wrote twice as much about rusty brakes as I did! Yes I do care about the condition of my brakes and even have all six wheels removed at service to strip & clean the brakes. Some people just keep driving until the warning light comes on or they hear metal to metal screeching(?). It's amazing that major companies such as Kent bother to develop & produce a product just for people who post wind-ups. Happy motorhoming.

audiseller - 2015-12-26 12:45 PM

rupert123 - 2015-12-26 11:37 AM

I note that you wrote twice as much about rusty brakes as I did! Yes I do care about the condition of my brakes and even have all six wheels removed at service to strip & clean the brakes. Some people just keep driving until the warning light comes on or they hear metal to metal screeching(?). It's amazing that major companies such as Kent bother to develop & produce a product just for people who post wind-ups. Happy motorhoming.

Well yes, I have to admit I to have my brakes, especially pads checked at every service but you never mentioned this, just a bit of rust on the surface, yes I agree it is amazing Kent produce this stuff and even more amazing some mugs buy it.

The original inquiry was simple enough to understand and (unless some forum-members’ brains are wired differently to mine) there was no reason to suspect the inquiry was a wind-up. Advice that the amount of brake disc rusting likely to result from a motorhome being outside and immobile for several months won’t matter is peripheral to the inquiry.

As stated above a number of commercial products are marketed to prevent brake discs rusting. The products are primarily for ‘detailing’ vehicles and I think the sprays won’t be practicable (or worthwhile) to employ in audiseller’s case. But I’m not infallible and try not to be didactic.

Audiseller and the rest of us now know that the Forch and Kent protective sprays exist (which I wasn’t aware of until now). It’s a free choice whether to use them or not.

Archived