Stuck in the mud

Will H

Where is everyone ?

Are you all doing what you're told and being friendly to each other and watching pre-programmed trash on TV.

Be like me and ignore it all. I've just organised my dinner with a 2kg gammon in the oven, then I'm out in the workshop to continue a project

Oh the advantage's of aging years where one can do as one likes !

Will 86

Hello Will. Keeping TV watching down to the bare minimum i.e. nothing at all yet. Do like the traditional dinner and the missus loves doing it with me completely out of the way. Her plan goes awry if I try and be helpful.

Best Christmas for us was our first together when we had no visitors, pleased ourselves [please take that the right way] and had enough pots and pans not to do any washing up until the day after Boxing Day. Now the dishwasher is on almost as soon as we finish eating.

Great stuff, it always unsettled me that the ladies were almost compelled to do everything, but of course its origins were when the ladies were mostly always at home and only the men worked.

PS that's my dinner done. 2 1/2 hours. Lots of plump fat, does an old fella a treat !

If you wish to keep well and live long then eat what you fancy and ignore all the experts.

I suggested that we tried a traditional family Xmas on Boxing Day, just like my mum had.

The men would go to the pub and watch the football over a few drinks while the women cooked lunch and laid the table. The men would come back, eat the meal and fall asleep in front of the fire while the women washed up and made sandwiches.

What sort of response you think I got?

Normally I wouldn't put a downer on a thread, but as you've decided to post your usual patronizing one here goes.

Up until recently christmas was a time to go on a long haul, somewhere warm and not to have to think about the 'celebrations', or maybe head down to the west country and walk some of the coast path when it's a bit wilder and a lot less tourists.

But this christmas as per the last one, it's about trying to bring a bit of light into my mothers life, give her someone else to see apart from the carers who hoist her about, maybe get a smile on her face, or persuade her to eat something, well two out of three aint bad as they say, still never mind I doubt she'll make next year so I'll probably be able to live more like you next year.

Archived