Monsieur Skinflint goes South.......For free....

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Hawhehaw.........Read this very carefully I will type this only once :D .....

Cite de Europe................free

Brezzoles aire.................free

Vivonne aire....................free + free wifi B-).....

N10 South with Dog leg to Pissos to avoid toll booths rejoin N10 exit just before next toll towards Dax

Dax aire ..........................free

Then non toll roads to Zaragoza via Bayonne etc......

All roughly 200 mile hops.....

Fuel in Spain today 75p a litre for the expensive stuff :D ...........

Get some of that money spent ya tight git ... Ya can't take it with ya ... Get yaself in Lidl and treat you n the missus to a one euro brioche and a litre of the finest three euro carton red for new years eve and cuddle up round a candle and ya never know ya might see the year out with a bang ... if ya see it rocking n all that kinda stuff

My neighbour is a bachelor. About 13 or 14 years ago he had a one night stand which resulted in the birth of his daughter.

He, by any stretch of anyones imagination is a tight fisted mean spirited man. But that's his choice and his business.

However, as his daughter has turned into a young person, capable of making choices, she no longer visits him for the weekend.

She, as we predicted without too much difficulty, came to the conclusion that the visits weren't a pleasure, but an absolute nightmare.

No heating, hot water, double glazing, healthy hot meals, broadband, clean freshly laundered bedding don't exist with him.

So she no longer visits him, which of course is very sad. For them both.

In my conversations with him regarding the situation, peace will be found in the Middle East before he'll understand his lifestyle isn't mainstream.

But, hey, he's worth a fortune.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-12-30 4:42 PM

My neighbour is a bachelor. About 13 or 14 years ago he had a one night stand which resulted in the birth of his daughter.

He, by any stretch of anyones imagination is a tight fisted mean spirited man. But that's his choice and his business.

However, as his daughter has turned into a young person, capable of making choices, she no longer visits him for the weekend.

She, as we predicted without too much difficulty, came to the conclusion that the visits weren't a pleasure, but an absolute nightmare.

No heating, hot water, double glazing, healthy hot meals, broadband, clean freshly laundered bedding don't exist with him.

So she no longer visits him, which of course is very sad. For them both.

In my conversations with him regarding the situation, peace will be found in the Middle East before he'll understand his lifestyle isn't mainstream.

But, hey, he's worth a fortune.

Martyn

Martyn , very good post ... Money buys many things , very rarely does it buy happiness ... I can vouch for that

nowtelse2do - 2016-01-01 3:12 PM

On a shoestring then Dave......Has Fanny took up all the surplus? Retirement pushed back a few years. HE Abramovich would love this, he's probably lurking and laughing :-D

All the best to you and Sue......I suppose I have to wish the Woofer one as well *-) Happy New Year Woofer :-( :D

Dave

Thank you David ... To you and the nurses I hope you all have a Happy New Year too xx

Guest pelmetman

Hola from Sunny Calpemar B-) ............Spent 3 nights at camping Kiko on their rubbish pitches with no wifi by the service point........not through choice though, but they've decided to dig up one half of the campsite to put in new fully serviced pitches.......and my 3 dongle that supposed to work in France & Spain appears to only work in France *-)...........

Nothing major to report except we may of sprung a leak from a skylight ............coming through torrential rain in France we had towels down to save the new carpet from muddy paws, but discovered a rather damp towel under the centre skylight, not sure if its leaking or the force of the wind and rain got under it? .......So ladders out tomorrow :-S ..........

BTW we used a toll road for the last 30 miles coz the last bit from Zaragoza is quite a hike at 280 miles, so I splashed out 6.20€ .........That's over 7 litres worth of wine 8-) .........

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2016-01-01 3:12 PM

On a shoestring then Dave......Has Fanny took up all the surplus? Retirement pushed back a few years.

All the best to you and Sue......I suppose I have to wish the Woofer one as well *-) Happy New Year Woofer :-( :D

Dave

Fanny is currently having another 2k of bodywork done 8-) ...............After that she's off to my mechanics for a new Weber carburetor (and Chrome air filter B-) )..........Whether she decides to be nice and do more than a 100 miles between breakdowns is a moot point :-| ............

Old Horace on the other hand just plods along, another 15 hundred miles without a drama B-) ......

pelmetman - 2016-01-02 2:01 PM

Hola from Sunny Calpemar B-) ............Spent 3 nights at camping Kiko on their rubbish pitches with no wifi by the service point........not through choice though, but they've decided to dig up one half of the campsite to put in new fully serviced pitches.......and my 3 dongle that supposed to work in France & Spain appears to only work in France *-)...........

Nothing major to report except we may of sprung a leak from a skylight ............coming through torrential rain in France we had towels down to save the new carpet from muddy paws, but discovered a rather damp towel under the centre skylight, not sure if its leaking or the force of the wind and rain got under it? .......So ladders out tomorrow :-S ..........

BTW we used a toll road for the last 30 miles coz the last bit from Zaragoza is quite a hike at 280 miles, so I splashed out 6.20€ .........That's over 7 litres worth of wine 8-) .........

Don't you mean 7 litres of vinegar?

Did you seriously divert via Pissos and then down to Dax to avoid paying the tolls down to Biarritz? Thats got to be false economy, but each to their own. Don't fall over too much at Calpe, that vinegar can be strong in the sunshine. Have a good time.

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2016-01-03 4:33 PM

Don't you mean 7 litres of vinegar?

Did you seriously divert via Pissos and then down to Dax to avoid paying the tolls down to Biarritz? Thats got to be false economy, but each to their own. Don't fall over too much at Calpe, that vinegar can be strong in the sunshine. Have a good time.

Yep :D ...........There's a useful Carfour there, where we bought a nice bottle of 1.32€ Van de table vinegar ;-).........

Not fallen over yet........but its early days :$ ..........

We never go the Biarritz route either. Much better going via the Somport Tunnel , to Zaragoza, then a straight run down to Calpe Mar, on good non paying roads

PJay

PJay - 2016-01-09 9:53 AM

We never go the Biarritz route either. Much better going via the Somport Tunnel , to Zaragoza, then a straight run down to Calpe Mar, on good non paying roads

We prefer that route too but it can be a bit hairy in winter and last time we did it in January we were very glad of our Michelin M&S tyres which did seem to be a little less skitish on snow than ordinary tyres?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2016-01-09 10:15 AM

PJay - 2016-01-09 9:53 AM

We prefer that route too but it can be a bit hairy in winter and last time we did it in January we were very glad of our Michelin M&S tyres which did seem to be a little less skitish on snow than ordinary tyres?

We did that route on the way back last year ;-) ..................Reckon old Horace found the steep twisty bends on the way back down a bit of a trial :-S ...........As he needed new wheel bearings when we got home 8-) ........

We did that route on the way back last year ;-) ..................Reckon old Horace found the steep twisty bends on the way back down a bit of a trial :-S ...........As he needed new wheel bearings when we got home 8-) ........

Have to agree the French side not so good, but better than the other tunnel from the Fronsac on the N123 then the N230 down to tunnel at Vielha, much more twisty, and not so convenient on the Spanish side .

Hope you still getting good weather in Calpe Dave. Our friends enjoyed Xmas there, even though they had trouble with van getting there, and again on route back home to France

PJay

pelmetman - 2015-12-29 8:21 PMHawhehaw.........Read this very carefully I will type this only once :D .....Cite de Europe................freeBrezzoles aire.................freeVivonne aire....................free + free wifi B-).....N10 South with Dog leg to Pissos to avoid toll booths rejoin N10 exit just before next toll towards DaxDax aire ..........................freeThen non toll roads to Zaragoza via Bayonne etc......All roughly 200 mile hops..... Fuel in Spain today 75p a litre for the expensive stuff :D ...........
We do a similar thing no toll roads free Aires  and Wildcamp, I did use the toll A10 last trip, came off for Dax and the free Aire, it cost me 5 Euros so that was OK then on down to the Algarve for 3 months Wilding then along the coast of Spain Wilding all the way , great trip, works for us.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman

Blimey where's the winter going?..........Is it really the 27th of Jan already 8-) .......

Just had a blow out meal on the prom.........

Homemade Alioli and bread.....

Followed by the house salad....ie Tuna, bacon, eggs, olives, endive, tomatoes etc.........

Followed by ........Gambas (Huge prawns)...........

Followed by Paella.......

Followed by Ice cream......

Followed by coffees with a free liqueur type thingy.......

All washed down with a small beer a bottle of vino blanco + an extra couple of glasses for luck :D .......

47.50€

Followed by a siesta on the sun loungers B-) ..........

Being an idle skinflint is hard work :D......

Will H - 2016-01-27 4:44 PM

I trust you'll be sick as hell !!

That is not a very nice thing to say.

I am glad that you and Sue are enjoying your well earned and long overdue break and long may your joy and happiness continue - better to be happy in Spain than grumpy at home!

I doubt very much our friend will be fussed over what I say. In many serious and dedicated hard working circles this is an extremely friendly comment meaning we know he's having a great time and wish we were too.

Its an expression of mutual trust among friends.

I also expect a similar comment in return just to show gratitude that he's remembered with affection whilst the remainder of us are almost swimming in constant rain and murky conditions.

Willy Wombat

Guest pelmetman
Will H - 2016-01-27 4:44 PM

I trust you'll be sick as hell !!

There's always that risk Will, since I had a dodgy mussel in Warwick a few years back........I seem to be hyper sensitive to shellfish that is not completely fresh..........fortunately no 3 am explosions in the thunderbox :D ..........

Another sunny day in prospect B-) ........already paid the deposit for next year as the site is getting booked up 8-) .........

Archived