acsi

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, I have just received the 2016 ACSI listing, and have attempted to download their (free) app.

it is true that the app is free to download, but the catch is that you will be charged to unlock it , because you need the unlock code which is on the ACSI card from book 2, AND when ordering the book, you agree to pay an annual subscription for the book.

It is not clear how you stop the annual subscription from being taken next year as they have your card number and if you try to cancel the subscription, then I guess they will block the access to the app s use by cancelling the unlock code. Or am I being too cynical.

tonyg3nwl.

Just to clarify my original posting, my books were bought direct from ACSI, not via Vicarious,.

They have the CC logo on the front cover, and inside book 1 on the flyleaf extension, is the promotion saying "Choose a Combi Subscription"with images of the card, abook, and amobile phone., with the statement "Now with FREE 2016 app.

yes it is free to DOWNLOAD the app, but you have to buy the book to get the card and the unlock number

Very clever but rather missleading as you have to buy a subscription at 13.95 euro, and then get a FREE App

which if you didnt buy the book, you would have to pay 3.59 euro to unlock it

no such thing as truly free.

tonyg3nwl.

I also bought my 2016 ACSI guides from Vicarious Books and the inside front flap in book 1 on mine says the app is 'Just €3.59'. But the app can only be used with the discount camping card that comes with the books. All seems perfectly OK to me.

It is just possible you have a slightly different version of the book because you've sourced it direct from ACSI. Pages 4 & 5 of my book 1 have a double page advertisement spread for Vicarious Books. I wouldn't be surprised if your doesn't?

Oh and I purchased the 2016 Club ID Card online from ACSI before Christmas and it was delivered yesterday.

Mike

Yes, mine is the same, looks like vicarious books have their own version without the 'free" app, and have "just €3.59" all over it.

It does explain why the App Store says it is free in the details, which you eventually get to if downloading, which it won't from an iPad. A real pain.

If you have ACSI on subscription then for this year only they are offering a combined package of the ACSI Membership Card / Book plus the App for 10.95 euros plus postage. This is the same price as if you have the ACSI Membership Card / Book on subscription so the App is free in this case.

You can buy ACSI as a one off direct but the prices are 18.54 euros for the combined package and 14.95 of the Membership / Book, and no mention of the App being free. as it does on the subscription packages.

I have had the App and have got it again this year on my subscription package as it is a good App that can be used both on-line and off-line. I have it downloaded on my tablet and it is good when abroad as you can get all the details when off-line - the map zooms into the area you want to look at and shows all the sites in that area and you can then click on them to check facilities, read reviews, etc.

Alan

mikebeaches - 2015-12-31 2:08

It is just possible you have a slightly different version of the book because you've sourced it direct from ACSI. Pages 4 & 5 of my book 1 have a double page advertisement spread for Vicarious Books. I wouldn't be surprised if your doesn't.

Mike

Ours came direct from ACSI - it has the 2 page Vicarious ad, and the inside cover advertises the Combi Subscription, with the app free, normally €3.51.

I have also downloaded the app to my Galaxy 6 smartphone.

For €3.59 it is very good value - admittedly not the simplest of installation information/procedure and only available once you have the unique number on the back of the 2016 card.

However, I have noticed that I have had one major update of the three areas that I downloaded to the smartphone since installation. Any app that has regular updates is even better value to me.

Mapping is very good as are the campsite entries - easy to read even on a smartphone screen.

Well done ACSI!

Solwaybuggier - 2015-12-31 9:05 PM

mikebeaches - 2015-12-31 2:08

It is just possible you have a slightly different version of the book because you've sourced it direct from ACSI. Pages 4 & 5 of my book 1 have a double page advertisement spread for Vicarious Books. I wouldn't be surprised if your doesn't.

Mike

Ours came direct from ACSI - it has the 2 page Vicarious ad, and the inside cover advertises the Combi Subscription, with the app free, normally €3.51.

Thanks for that info concerning Vicarious Books ad - interesting. The reason I thought it might not be in the directly supplied guides was because when I purchased them from the Camping & Caravanniing Club a couple of years ago, they carried C&CC branding. But hey-ho...

Now a question about the new app, if I may, to any of you experts out there.

I duly paid my €3.51 before Christmas, downloaded the app and used the unique number on my 2016 card to access the full info - which was supposed to go live today (01.01.16). But all the data I've got is 2015, for example all the prices are wrong - €12; €14; €16 & €18 instead of €11; €13; € 15; €17; & €19!

And I don't know how to change it / update it? Any help or advice please.

Thanks, Mike

I am a previous subscriber to the ACSI App which I have on my tablet and now having a combined subscription for 2016 tried to download the new App. I noticed that there was a new update for the App on my tablet today so downloaded that and all the new sites / maps for each country came available to me, so I downloaded them one at a time. All countries with the exception of France showed all the sites and the new prices but France just showed the old information. The App was very unstable and kept locking my tablet up which required a hard reboot each time.

I remembered last year that I had problems so I deleted the App from the tablet and then installed the latest App in 'Play Store'. All I had to do was put my email address to log in and my password and the App downloaded and I didn't need to use the access code on my ACSI Membership Card to get all the site details.

I had to then download each country's details again showing the sites which takes a time and everything worked OK this time. The only exception is I can't get the screen to rotate to landscape when using this App, not like previous versions - if however I start the App whilst using may tablet in landscape mode the App opens and stays in landscape !

I would suggest that anyone who already has last year's App delete it first then download a new version to save all the hassle.

Alan

Charles - 2016-01-03 1:34 AM

Seems an awful faff. How are the apps better than the books?

I have used the app to follow a proposed route through France, and to pick out those sites which are near the route, make a noteof them including coordinates, and then added those to satnav.

the small maps in the booklet are not very helpful when looking for an overnight en route, but the satnav is searchable to find the next nearest one on the journey..

hope it makes sense.

tonyg3nwl

I've found the Acsi app very useful especially when linked to a navigation app on the same machine.

I have the Acsi app on the Tablet together with CoPilot.

From the Acsi app you select which campsite you wish to visit and send that information to the CoPilot app.

You then have a route to follow on CoPilot without having to input the coordinates to a dedicated satnav.

This provides me with a fully integrated system. There are other campsite apps which I would imagine would work the same.

Downloaded it on my phone. Logged in and it says I need to go to website to complete order. So went to website logged in with the number on my 2016 card and they want payment too..

The thing is with the books they never need you to log in lol. I think I won't bother, it's just another piece of dodgy technology i don't need in my life. Enjoy yours though. No offence ??

Charles - 2016-01-03 12:10 PM

Downloaded it on my phone. Logged in and it says I need to go to website to complete order. So went to website logged in with the number on my 2016 card and they want payment too..

The thing is with the books they never need you to log in lol. I think I won't bother, it's just another piece of dodgy technology i don't need in my life. Enjoy yours though. No offence ??

I'm with you Charles.

All this technological faffing about sounds like a lot of work to me - and I've retired.

( ...and I can read maps ).

;-)

AlanS - 2016-01-02 8:51 PM

I am a previous subscriber to the ACSI App which I have on my tablet and now having a combined subscription for 2016 tried to download the new App. I noticed that there was a new update for the App on my tablet today so downloaded that and all the new sites / maps for each country came available to me, so I downloaded them one at a time. All countries with the exception of France showed all the sites and the new prices but France just showed the old information. The App was very unstable and kept locking my tablet up which required a hard reboot each time.

I remembered last year that I had problems so I deleted the App from the tablet and then installed the latest App in 'Play Store'. All I had to do was put my email address to log in and my password and the App downloaded and I didn't need to use the access code on my ACSI Membership Card to get all the site details.

I had to then download each country's details again showing the sites which takes a time and everything worked OK this time. The only exception is I can't get the screen to rotate to landscape when using this App, not like previous versions - if however I start the App whilst using may tablet in landscape mode the App opens and stays in landscape !

I would suggest that anyone who already has last year's App delete it first then download a new version to save all the hassle.

Alan

Alan - that's extremely helpful!! Following your guidance I've managed to delete the old App and download the new one. Hurrah. (lol)

And from what I can see at this stage, it is working fine!! Have only tried France and Spain so far...

Many thanks, Mike

hi ,ordered my 2016 acsi book direct from acsi . before November and they said it should be with me before xmas .

a/ has everybody received the book from them .

or is it because my name starts with a letter s and I am further down the list .I contacted them and they said there is a delay .but I am going to france in 2 weeks time so I would like it before I go.

thanks for any replies bob

"hi ,ordered my 2016 acsi book direct from acsi . before November and they said it should be with me before xmas .

a/ has everybody received the book from them .

or is it because my name starts with a letter s and I am further down the list .I contacted them and they said there is a delay .but I am going to france in 2 weeks time so I would like it before I go.

thanks for any replies bob"

Something must have gone astray with your order, ordered mine in November and had it mid December and my surname starts with an "S"

Sorry just reread your post, ordered mine from vicarious.

Archived