Travelling to Norway

Hazey

I am contemplating a trip in my motorhome to Norway next year. Can anyone give me advice on the best time to go? We intend to travel up to the arctic circle and will travel through Denmark and Sweden. Has anyone done this and have any advice for me regarding routes and crossings etc. We will be visiting the fijords does anyone know if you need a fishing permit?

:-D

Hazey - 2015-12-31 12:31 PM

I am contemplating a trip in my motorhome to Norway next year. Can anyone give me advice on the best time to go? We intend to travel up to the arctic circle and will travel through Denmark and Sweden. Has anyone done this and have any advice for me regarding routes and crossings etc. We will be visiting the fijords does anyone know if you need a fishing permit?

:-D

If you use the forum ' search ' feature you should find plenty of info as a number of forum members have toured Norway.

We went May and June which worked out well weather wise - came down south to the fjord district in mid June and found that many roads were only just cleared of snow so don't get there too early.

As you are going up to Arctic Circle I would recommend an excursion to the Lofoten Islands.

We don't fish, but so many people do that we were given some on one or two occasions when other people were catching more than they could eat.

( I would doubt if a permit is required ).

In our day we used Newcastle - Gothenburg and Bergen - Newcastle ferries but unfortunately these are no longer available, so can't comment on routes.

Great country to tour - have a good trip.

;-)

Hi

We travelled 2014, from Calais, into Denmark, over the bridge to Malmo then north up the Baltic coast to Finlard, along the border ( really beautiful) to Narvik and Lofotens then south along the Norwegian coast, back to Malmo and so to home.

We left mid May and home 59 days later.

The advantage of our route was we missed most of the roads blocked by snow as we drove north. Met some other motorhomers who had travelled up through Norway and run into bad weather and snow.we still found two roads blocked by Avalanche on our route south.

To get to North cape we would have had to take an extra week plus or rush through places I wanted to stop.

We will go again, lots we didn't have time to see plus it's beautiful country. We camped in car parks or little harbours mostly on our own. Used campsites every third day and accessed wifi at the Macdonalds in the larger towns.

The Lofotens are stunning and the whale watching from the islands just to the North was outstanding, (and we have whale watched all around the world).

Be prepared for lots of Ferries, up to three a day. We are under 6m so price ok but it doubles or trebles if you are longer than that. They all took credit card except one.

You can set up an account to cover bridge/tunnel tolls before you go and that was easy and took away any worry. The cost wasn,'t large and about a couple of month after we got back we received an automatic refund of money not spent. You can access your toll account online but I had mine set to automatically top up if funds too low. Again all about taking the stress out of life.

We will be going again. Enjoy your trip.

Peter

We went to Norway via Germany [Puttgarden ] to Denmark, up Denmark to Hellsinger and crossed into Sweden at Hellsingbourg [might have been vice versa, ]Very easy no booking required for ferries just turn up and wait for the next one, very regular, we drove far up Sweden and crossed into Norway over the Mountains to GRONG simple easy route free stopovers all the way water and toilet dumps available too, very Motorhome friendly Countries , we went May June time, still a lot of snow but ALL roads passable, I fished the Fiords etc, I never had a permit and no idea if one was needed, fish gave themselves up.We saw no officials at any time on our trip ?We returned a similar route but used the Oresund bridge and the cost of that was the same as the 2 Ferries we used outward bound so swings and roundabouts, Road tolls for the pay roads we used we paid back in UK on line in Sterling with NO penalties, [ number plate recognition system in use ]  So a great trip and so much to see, have fun.

Archived