European breakdown cover

Richard J

I don't know anything of this company, but be very careful as we met a couple in Benidorm who had cheap European ins cover and when they came to start their journey home their engine wouldn't turn over. So they contacted their cheap ins provider and they refused to come out to them or even give them any advice on garages they could contact.

The reason they gave to not give any assistance was that the couple had not notified them that they were going abroad.

I have my European ins free with Safeguard, and last year travelling through France in our new Auto Sleeper coach built we were hit in the side by a French driver, when we got back home after our 7 weeks holiday, our van went straight back to Auto Sleeper and safeguard paid up no quibble.

Just renewed and paid no extra as we had protected no claims.

John.

I would also recommend Safeguard-been insured with them for 10+ years and always been competitive plus when I did need to call them out abroad for breakdown, service was superb. English speaker at the end of the helpline, garage out to me in 40 mins. fixed in less than 30 mins and back on road.

As it is included in the insurance premium, don't think you can do much better

Mike

Everyone has their own choices as to which Company to use. These range from both Clubs through private insurers to ADAC. It all depends on what you find the most suitable for your needs. I would use that as a criteria rather than price as if push comes to shove, you want to know it will work.

Look at the various webpages and get quotes for your own circumstances and then make a decision.

The QDOS website seems to be reasonably informative about what the EU Breakdown product does and does not cover.

http://www.qdosbreakdown.co.uk/european-breakdown-cover.php

Many motorcaravanners regularly travelling abroad will have an annual ‘motorhome’ insurance policy that integrates breakdown-cover. In such cases the scope of the breakdown-cover will be (or should be!) appropriate for a motorhome, but this may not always be the case for stand-alone breakdown policies. For example, a statement in this 2013 QDOS-related discussion

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/82170-qdos-breakdown-insurance/

suggests that there may be weight/size limits that would exclude many motorhomes

"The gross vehicle (vehicle or trailer / caravan) weight and dimensions must not exceed 3500 kg, 7m in length, 3m in height and 2.25m in width.”

I’m certainly not going to tell you that obtaining EU breakdown cover via the AA would be “a bad idea”, but it’s quite likely that you could obtain equivalent (or better) cover elsewhere at lower cost.

There’s general advice here

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/breakdown-cover/european/

but (as Dave225 advises) you really need to research this carefully yourself and compare the insurance cover that is being offered against what you need, making sure that you are fully aware of policy restrictions.

Richard J - 2016-01-03 7:46 PM

Thanks for all your posts.

I have always been with the AA for cover in the UK and have always been happy with them so I will probably stick with them for European cover unless anyone suggests that's a bad idea.

Thanks again,

Richard

Safeguard breakdown cover is via the AA. It's AA who come out in UK and their authorised agents in Europe so bear in mind as AA direct price is much higher and has restictions

Mike

Archived