Which dish?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Has anyone any experience of, or can advise on, the respective merits of two semi-auto satellite dishes?

I'm probably going to choose between a Teleco Voyagermatic or a Maxview Semitronic, both of which are around £600 fitted.

I prefer the ones with an auto inclination system as it will compensate if the MH isn't perfectly level. Also, as I've previously found no problem with a totally manual satellite-dish/tripod combination, I don't need a totally automatic model with its very high cost and more chance of something going wrong.

Thank you.

As far as I'm aware only a fully automatic system will compensate for off level motorhomes because they actively search for the signal. The semi automatic models (Maxview Semitronic for example) can be set to remember a particular elevation and return to it but this will only be any use if the van is level every time. D.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I just thought that I'd follow up on this as a few people have tried to help. I phoned the supplier who told me that, in his opinion, I would be far better going for the crank-up model which saves £200. I too think that the website may be overstating its capabilities. The only way that it can automatically compensate for a sloping 'van is if it has some kind of built-in electronic plumb line, which knows that the dish isn't level and I don't think that it has.

Anyway, the decision is made ! I'm picking up my new motorhome on Saturday December 1st and on Monday I'm having a Gaslow refillable-cylinder system fitted. On Tuesday I'm taking it to have the satellite dish installed and whilst there I shall probably choose a reversing camera and a cycle rack. I'd like to get everything done as soon as possible so we can have a trial weekend!

I already have a Pace satellite box from my touring-van setup but it's only mains operated. I'm on the look out for a new one that's both mains and 12v so that we'll be self-contained for the odd night that we don't have an electricity hook-up. If anyone knows a good and compact 12/240v box I'd appreciate any references.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Edited to say: I don't want a 'Free to View' box but one that receives Sky's  free programmes using the £20 card.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Yes, I've done all that and all I can find is one at £199 but I just hoped that some members of this forum may have come across a more reasonably-priced one. In fact on ebay I don't think I even found a 12/240v box. There were plenty of 'Free to Air' boxes but no Sky digiboxes.

If you type the search term as I said you will find two, first is £178+10p&p, second is £129+13.50p&p, the alternative is to enter 'pace mini*' you will then be given a list of second hand boxes which fetch around £80-£100, and will run off 12v but you may need to purchase a lead or modify the lead supplied (it should come with a 12v transformer), my only warning will be as with anything ebay buyer beware.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Thanks for that. I'd already done a search before your post and hadn't found the right thing but your search criteria turned up one at £99.99. The seller seems very genuine and has good references so I'll go for that.

Thanks again for a good tip.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I've already got a 240v Pace as it happens but I automatically shy away from inverters for two reasons, one of which is probably wrong and I would welcome advice.

My first reason is the clutter of another device but the main one, which may be wrong as I know nothing about electrics, is that I suspect that running a 240v product using an inverter, will drain a leisure battery faster than using a bona fide 12v equivalent.

Please tell me that I'm wrong and I'll consider buying an inverter and wiring it in permanently.

Archived