Jurgen A Class......ever heard of them?

Bulletguy

EJB - 2016-01-05 2:18 PM

Iveco is a normal European wide base vehicle for larger motorhomes.

Never seen a South African conversion though *-) :-D :-D

Yes Jurgen is a new name to me and i know nothing about them.

What's the parts availability like for Iveco in UK? Do we have a good base here? I don't know anyone with an Iveco chassis mh so would be interested to know.

Autocruise used Iveco in the past, pre Swift, and as many HGVs are on Iveco I would have thought there were no problems trying to get spares. We actually went to look at an Autocruise on an Iveco a few months ago, it had a lovely shaped inside cab, it was curved and had a very comfortable driving position. Obviously the interior spares may be a problem but I would think that it is not surmountable.

Paul you would probably have to go through the Iveco Truck Division which shouldn't be a problem i guess. There use to be an Iveco Truck place just off the D road (A500) at Stoke but I don't know if it's still there, Scania was quite near.

Dave

Three answers all in 2minutes Paul can't be bad ;-) :-D

Iveco is a division of Fiat, and the vans are quite common throughout UK. However, that van is a rate one-off in terns of its presence in UK, and is now quite long in the tooth. It might also be interesting to find out how it got to UK, since I don't think the firm has ever imported its vans and caravans to UK.

I'd also check to see what differences might have been between the spec for SA and the UK for Ivecos of the period, as some spares may may not be available in UK.

nowtelse2do - 2016-01-05 4:18 PM

Paul you would probably have to go through the Iveco Truck Division which shouldn't be a problem i guess. There use to be an Iveco Truck place just off the D road (A500) at Stoke but I don't know if it's still there, Scania was quite near.

Dave

Three answers all in 2minutes Paul can't be bad ;-) :-D

I should have known that seeing as i'm only 10 miles away from Stoke!

I'm making enquiries about the mh on behalf of some friends who are normally based in Scotland but will pass this info on.

Brian Kirby - 2016-01-05 4:24 PM

Iveco is a division of Fiat, and the vans are quite common throughout UK. However, that van is a rate one-off in terns of its presence in UK, and is now quite long in the tooth. It might also be interesting to find out how it got to UK, since I don't think the firm has ever imported its vans and caravans to UK.

I'd also check to see what differences might have been between the spec for SA and the UK for Ivecos of the period, as some spares may may not be available in UK.

Yes it's certainly one of the more 'peculiar' imports i've seen!

I own an Iveco based motorhome and have 3 dealers within a 25 mile radius.

If my memory serves me well Jurgens were either imported or at least offered for sale in 1990's and I think MMM did an article on them. I was put off by the lack of dealer support if anything went wrong.

John

Jurgen's have been making MH's in South Africa for a long time, probably at least since the 1970's.

They produced a very popular coachbuilt version on a Type 2 Volkswagen - the only company, as far as I know, who have attempted such a conversion. It was a bit underpowered, as you can imagine, being powered by the watercooled 1600cc engine. I've seen a few of these examples in the UK.

I don't know if the company is still trading but expect an Internet search would throw up a few clues.

Regarding the coachbuilt motorhomes on a WV T25 these were built by Karmann in Germany.

We had one for years, it was beautiful with real teak woodwork and upstanding counter edge as on a boat unlike rounded down edges on current models of motorhomes.

Jurgen's similar models in South Africa had 4 wheel drive if I recall correctly from an article in MMM many years ago. They were also built for a hot environment.

Joyce

Jurgens has a factory in Australia making caravans but not motorhomes. They have a good reputation for building lightweight but strong vans. They are distinctive here as they are European in style and very different to the locally built "Aussie" caravan. Www.jurgens.com.au. The South African company is here Www.campworld.co.za

Cheers

...I have dim memories of Jurgens A-class vehicles being advertised by a dealership in the distant past.

I certainly knew they were SA (so have picked that up from somewhere), and I can picture an advert or an article on the same in one of the magazines.

What memory I have of it is leading me towards Brownhills (and though I can find some web evidence of the same, it is far from conclusive).

Edit to Add

....if I return to Ebay, the front numberplate is definitely a Brownhills one...

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2016-01-05 1:53 PM

Does anyone know anything about these mh's? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272095203865

Apparently it's South African build on an Iveco chassis. I don't know what part availability is for Iveco here in UK.

Informed opinions appreciated!

Oooh a diagonal corner bed........very Austin Powers :D ........

PJay - 2016-01-06 9:35 AM

If has been stated , they are built for HOT climates, may not be enough insulation for Scotland??

It's an A class so i'd expect to find more insulation in that than say a PVC where insulation is scant to the point of non-existent in many areas. Also it has air-con which i imagine is pretty much a bog standard fitment in ALL mh's built in hot climate countries rather than an 'extra'.

They have emailed the seller but not received a reply as yet.

...quick magazine perusal indicates that Brownhills were indeed acting as main agents for Jurgens in 2000. (I'm pretty sure I saw an A-class there).

It would have been a sort-lived and low-volume arrangement, and I suspect there is no prospect of any information or support from them now.

Whilst many things can be 'bodged', I would be paranoid about a replacement windscreen for such a vehicle, and would certainly wish to identify a source (or if, as is sometimes the case, the "donor" vehicle model from which it was taken), and the speed of supply in case of urgent need.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-01-06 8:23 PM

Presumably this is a different vehicle to the one that was advertised on ebay?

http://www.justrvs.co.uk/previously-sold-stock/wj-jurgens-coachbuilt-motorhome.html

(Whatever - there are lots of photos for anyone interested)

No, that one is the same model. However i've just looked at the ebay one and it's listing ended at 1820hr today so looks as though it's been sold now.

**edited to add it's just dawned on me what you meant by "different vehicle to the ebay one"!! *-) :D

Archived