Tow ball bike carrier

mikejkay

We carry 2 x 15kg full size bikes on the back of our 2008 Kontiki 669 using one of these http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/buzz_rack_bb2_2_bike_wheel_support_rack_no_brp302/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5HXEs

Very secure attachment to the tow ball and lockable.

The Thule Velocompact will take bikes up to 25lg each so depending on your needs, it, or something else, might be better than the Buzz Rack. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_velocompact_2_bike_tilting_carrier_no_925/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewy%7Dk4

I have used a Thule towball-clamping bike carrier with four adult bikes on it (with provision for a fifth!) and it held fast no problem.  These racks are extremely well made and I cannot imagine there is any significant risk of rotating forwards on the towball under braking forces.

mikejkay - 2016-01-11 8:31 PM

Can you please let me know what model?

If the question is aimed at me its the

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-europower-916-_-916000

Model 916 It comes with a aluiminum ramp to roll the bikes up to load.

The screen shots show differing rear light clusters to those that I have. That said some shots show the older light clusters.

Expensive, but if you shop around you can get quite a discount. I paid cash at the local towbar store (Tanfields Towing) who fitted it and took care of the vast amount of packing that came with it.

Used it with a bike cover from Taylormade Screens, I take the batteries off the bikes and roll them up complete with saddle bags etc.

Rgds

Edit; Only to add that my son borrows the rack and uses it on his VW Touran. The rack has a drop down mechanism so that the bikes can ""fall "" back so the rear door hatch can open. Not useful on a m/home and probably would not allow enough space on a van with rear opening doors. But useful if you want to change the rack onto a car.

Same answer as most already posting, we got a Thule 4 bike carrier with light clusters, we bought from Halfords.

The tow ball clamp system is excellent and holds steady as a rock. They supply several straps to secure to vehicle (tail gate of cars) which I also put on for peace of mind, but not once have they seemed to be required. I particularly like the bracing straps/rods that keep the bikes apart and from scraping each other.
In addition it has a simple key lock mechanism too, so no one can simply unhook and steal the bikes on mass, or allow them to fall off the tow ball.

I looked at the Thule VeloCompact 925 and, while it was highly recommended and would have carried a heavy electric bike, it seemed overly expensive. I have bought an Atera Strada Sport M2 and saved myself about £150 :-D . The Strada gets good reviews in the, mostly German, press and on U tube. Being delivered next week so we shall see 8-) .

Although I am very happy with the Witter carrier , half the price of similar Thule, self assembly is required and the steadies are pants, I used some from my Fiamma bike rack. I also have a MaxxRaxx carrier which is terrible for vans.

hi,

We had the Thule Euro carrier which would take 2 x elec bikes, which are usually heavier than normal bikes but if 2 bikes is what you want there is no harm in planning possibly for the future.

The rack was as steady as a rock and very user friendly with a small self contained loading ramp.

I would highly recommend Thule.

cheers

derek

Archiesgrandad - 2016-01-16 2:51 PM

Do remember to add the considerable weight of the cycle carrier to the weight of the cycles you intend to carry, and make sure that you are within the permitted load on the towball of whatever vehicle you fit it onto.

AGD

Good point. Our two bikes and rack add up to 40kg but due to the overhang from the rear axle, we now have an extra 95kg load on the rear axle - the weighbridge doesn't lie.

Archived