Nice one to convert to a motorhome

George Collings

One of the ideas for my dream motorcaravan was to put the cockpit at luton height with a bed underneath but but bridge crew access was a stumbling block.

A careful lookout for low bridges, SS canopies etc would seem very, very prudent.. Perhaps an optional extra would be forward looking radar linked to power assisted escape pole. Would the Martin Baker company be interested in diversifying into motorhome accessories.

Next silly suggestion please.

Long straight wide roads meant that for many years precision steering was low on the list of American vehicle designer priorities and even on cars rounding a bend involved lots of twirling of the steering wheel.

On US trucks before power steering it was even necessary just to reduce the effort of a twin steer wagon. I would imagine lock to lock was about a 15min job.

The firm I worked for maintained a couple of Thames Trader 7 ton 4X4 tippers that a local haulage company used for site work. Low speed manoeuvres involved two arm pulls with a boot braced against the dash.

They took delivery of a new one with PAS but there was nothing indicate the steering was unassisted.

I climbed in and needed full lock to get out of the space. Taking the usual two handed grip on the wheel I pulled hard and nearly threw myself out of the cab. The firms drivers thought it was Xmas.

I think what would make the steering even more harder to steer George, is that the column is near vertical and slightly ahead of the axle plus the length. I've drove pre ww2 trucks and post ww2 dump trucks without PS and believe me they were tough until there was weight over the rear bogie.

Dave

Archived