damp checking

tonyg3nwl

I received a reminder about annual service from marquis, and took van down to let them do a damp check.. there is an outstanding history on this subject.

They were advised that I have located the entry point as being through the upper vent for fridge which was not sealed properly. I have removed and fitted a new vent panel, but they wanted to carry out a damp check to confirm my complaint.

I asked how they carried out the check and witnessed their normal procedure..

They did not "normally" remove vent panels as standard damp checking. I asked them to do so by simply unclipping as though they wanted acces to do a fridge gas service and they then checked in the area behind the fridge and accepted that was showing severe damp.

It is now booked in to have the area thoroughly dried out. But they say that they will remove my newly fitted panel and do their own refitting and sealing. I prefer they did not as I beleive I have done a proper professional job myself.

I am also drying out the area myself, and will submit the van for them to inspect on agreed date and retest.

Can they insist that they remove and replace the vent and do their own sealing again ???

Tonyg3nwl

I doubt that any company would agree to sign off any work carried out by another, regardless of how perfect it was (or appeared to be so from the outside).

They could insert a clause in their resulting paperwork separating any outside work not carried out by them and detail the area, but I doubt it.

As above, they will want to make 100% sure that the job is a "proper job", after all they don't know the extent of your skills, which I have no doubt are well up to the job, anyway if they are to accept responsibility for the on going health of your M/H they have the right to insist on doing what they want to do. They might just wash their hands of any responsibility if they don't re do the job.

GEOFFG4LXI

My concern is that since it has been returned to their workshop twice in the last 18 months to locate and fix the fault and still not located and fixed it themselves, then by the relatively and obvious to me procedure of unclipping the fridge vents and checking in rear of fridge, I simply have lost faith in their skills.. they claimed to have a fully skilled workforce and previous experience of damp repairs at their Tewkesbury repair workshop yet on neither previous occasion did they locate the ingress point.

Since the damp showed up forward nearside of the rear wheel, and below the entry door to the rear of the wheel, with the fridge mounted above the wheel arch, I did not take me very long to deduce that there could be a problem via the wall mounted fridge vents. 5 minutes to unclip the vents, and check inside would have shown up the problem.

Since the warranty is no longer valid, (so they tell me ), should there be a future problem, I would get alternative repair quotes anyway.. I prefer to trust my own workmanship, rather than have them get it wrong again.

tonyg3nwl

Archived