Sites & Sights down through Italy to Sicily

laimeduck

We are seriously thinking of travelling down through Italy to Sicily starting from Calais in late April/early May. Time is not an issue - we don't need to return before the end of June.

I don't yet know which route we will take to get to Northern Italy, but I'm not concerned by that, having done them all over the last 60 years. 

So it may be through France then Genoa southwards or it may be through Germany then Venice southwards.

Any recommendations for campsites/aires on the way down through Italy? Also any must-see places/sights. We want to re-visit Rome and take in Vesuvius/Naples/Pompei, and have a look at the Amalfi coastline. We are not particularly beach people, so maybe through the Apennines? Monte Cassino? 

Any suggestions about Sicily? I know there are well preserved Greek temples etc and old picturesque towns and the possibility of a fast ferry to Malta but other sights? (Lots of bodies if you watch Montalbano!)

We don't wild camp and prefer sites (ACSI/municipals, France Passion), but do have a motorbike and electric bikes so can find a base & travel around.

Many thanks

Hi Jeremy,

I shall continue to watch this thread as it's what we are just starting to plan for May through June.

Another look at the Ferrari museum in Modena maybe. Maybe try to find that village and amazing restaurant in Tuscany that we took the kids to 20+ years ago. Pisa would be on the list if we hadn't been before. Venice Milan and Rome ditto.

I think the area around the toe and heel are architecturally interesting, but maybe the influx of refugees might take the shine off that area.

We are investigating the ferries to Corsica and Sicily, and thinking of driving back along the southern coast. We'll try to decide on a site to stay at for a week or so to explore the Amalfi coast and Pompeii

Corsica and Sicily for the food (Yotam Otolenghi book and DVD)

On Sicily a long time ago we sampled the Mille Miglia route in a hire car out of Cefalu, which was very enjoyable.

I'm a little reluctant to go back to places we enjoyed, just in case they've changed for the worse.

I'll keep watching the thread and add any thoughts over the next few months

Good luck

regards

alan b

snowie - 2016-01-16 5:44 PM I'll keep watching the thread and add any thoughts over the next few monthsGood luckregardsalan b

Alan - Hi great minds etc!
Please keep me informed of what you're up to.

NB Slight errata in my post - we can be away until the end of JULY, not June. So we can give it the full 3 months if we want to.

Jeremy, we are in the planning stage for our 5th Holiday in Italy due in June/July. We always drive and stay in B & B type accom. It would be nice to have an MH stored in Europe but maybe in another life. My point is that there are so many fantastic places to visit that you can never expect to see them all on one trip. What we did initially was do a general trip around the hot spots you mentioned going no further south than The Amalfi coast. We then spent the next holiday in Rome (again) then Sicily including the Aeolian islands. You will need at least two weeks to have a good look at Sicily. Yes I did find the Montalbano's apartment on the beach. Next trip was the Alpine regions(Dolomites etc) including the lakes and an Opera in Verona, then down to Perugia. Another trip was along the north west. Coast including Isola Di Giglio. This trip will be from Rome south to Calabria and up through the mountain regions in the centre to Tuscany then up through Bologna, Moderna to Milan and home. The codriver and I can not get enough of Italy we love the place. It is two years since our last visit and it will be interesting to see what changes if any have occurred since the mass movement of displaced people from Nth Africa/Syria. In summary my recommendation would be to do an overview trip with follow up visits to the areas you would like to cover more thoroughly. Sorry but I can not help with overnight parking spots but, I do know the best pizza in Rome is from the Pizzeria Monte Carlo. www.lamontecarlo.it Enjoy your trip.
Cheers,
Gary C

Jeremy, after I posted I thought of two locations you should consider to visit on your journey south. The first is in the south western suburbs of Naples and it is called Herculaneum in the suburb of Ercalono. This is not as well known as Pompeii but the ruins here are just as interesting. The second is the Tempo du Neptuno at Paestum south of Naples near Capaccio. It is an Ancient Greek temple that is as good as the examples at Agregento in Sciliy. If you are into old & history these two sites are a must see.
Cheers,
Gary C,

For us the three most interesting things in southern Italy were the Greek (yes thats not a mistake) temples at Paesum a UNESCO world heritage site on the coast south of Salerno (you can stay at a Sosti adjacent). Arrive late in the day to see sunset then explore next day. Also the Trulli houses in and around Arberobello and the cave dwellings in Matera (both also WHS) are worth visiting.

Geeco - 2016-01-17 1:27 AMJeremy, we are in the planning stage for our 5th Holiday in Italy due in June/July. We always drive and stay in B & B type accom. It would be nice to have an MH stored in Europe but maybe in another life. My point is that there are so many fantastic places to visit that you can never expect to see them all on one trip. What we did initially was do a general trip around the hot spots you mentioned going no further south than The Amalfi coast. We then spent the next holiday in Rome (again) then Sicily including the Aeolian islands. You will need at least two weeks to have a good look at Sicily. 
Cheers,
Gary C

Gary
Thanks for all the info I look at it all in detail over the next few weeks. 

I'm well aware that we are not going to cover everything - I've spent 60 years travelling around Europe and have seen virtually nothing - new things keep appearing! 

What I want to do is amble down Italy (Which we have done before but only during annual 2 week leave) and take in some sights, then explore Sicily over a couple of weeks then amble back up a different route to France/Germany.  We have spent quite some time in the Italian,French Austrian Alps in the past (within easy reach for a 2 week holiday) so we want to explore all the way down and then Southern Italy.

May bump into you somewhere?

We visited Italy a few years ago in mid-June with the intention of driving to the southern tip. However, the humidity was so oppressive that we only managed to go just north of Rome. We returned to the northern lakes where the climate was more tolerable but still 30+ but with less humidity.

Hope you have cab AC in your van cos you may need it.

Anyway, we visited Orvieto, well known for it's wine. The town is perched on a volcanic plateau and is very interesting to visit. There is a Sosta at the base with all facilities including showers, 18 euro per night, open all year. The guy in charge even took bread orders in the evening and delivered to your van the next morning. There is a funicular rail link from the Sosta to the town which includes a bus service around the town. Highly recommended, probably need 2 nights stopover to do it justice. Orvieto is about 60miles north of Rome on the E35.

From our experience of the weather conditions at that time of year, suggest you head for Sicily early in May and return at your leisure during the hotter period.

laimeduck - 2016-01-16 4:43 PMWe are seriously thinking of travelling down through Italy to Sicily starting from Calais in late April/early May. Time is not an issue - we don't need to return before the end of June.

I don't yet know which route we will take to get to Northern Italy, but I'm not concerned by that, having done them all over the last 60 years. 

So it may be through France then Genoa southwards or it may be through Germany then Venice southwards.

Any recommendations for campsites/aires on the way down through Italy? Also any must-see places/sights. We want to re-visit Rome and take in Vesuvius/Naples/Pompei, and have a look at the Amalfi coastline. We are not particularly beach people, so maybe through the Apennines? Monte Cassino? 

Any suggestions about Sicily? I know there are well preserved Greek temples etc and old picturesque towns and the possibility of a fast ferry to Malta but other sights? (Lots of bodies if you watch Montalbano!)

We don't wild camp and prefer sites (ACSI/municipals, France Passion), but do have a motorbike and electric bikes so can find a base & travel around.

Many thanks

Give us a clue, Jeremy! We're not marsh fairies. :-DBut what interests you? Art and architecture, scenery, food? Timescale seems fine, but it is about 2,900km to the Messina ferry. Is that the route you would take? Or would you catch a ferry higher up, and where to? There are ferries from Genoa, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Napoli, or Salerno, to Catania; from Genoa, Civitavecchia, or Napoli to Palermo; and from Livorno to Trapani? Problem is, they all imply differing amounts of Italy to see en route. Also, how would you come back? Same route reversed, or island hopping to Nice, Toulon, or Marseille? There is so much both in Sicily and en route down Italy it is an almost impossible question. Where have you been before that you don't want to re-visit? Where apart from Rome, Naples and Pompei would you go. (BTW, I don't think you can do the Amalfi drive in a motorhome.) Would you go via Venice, for example, or Siena, or where?Got any guide books yet? Possibly a browse round your local library for ideas?

Brian Kirby - 2016-01-17 6:54 PM
laimeduck - 2016-01-16 4:43 PMWe are seriously thinking of travelling down through Italy to Sicily starting from Calais in late April/early May. Time is not an issue - we don't need to return before the end of June.

Many thanks

Give us a clue, Jeremy! 

Brian I honestly thought I had?

We're not marsh fairies. :-DBut what interests you? Art and architecture, scenery, food? 
Scenery and sights No1, Culture rather than classical architecture & food No2. We like to see how a place clicks - not Churches/museums etc , but markets, people, normal life etc. 
 Timescale seems fine, but it is about 2,900km to the Messina ferry. Is that the route you would take? 

No ferries for us - a leisurely drive down - no more than say 200 miles in one hit. We have 3 months so I don't see that as a particular problem.

Or would you catch a ferry higher up, and where to? There are ferries from Genoa, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Napoli, or Salerno, to Catania; from Genoa, Civitavecchia, or Napoli to Palermo; and from Livorno to Trapani? Problem is, they all imply differing amounts of Italy to see en route. Also, how would you come back? Same route reversed, or island hopping to Nice, Toulon, or Marseille?

Not the same route, but if east coast on way down, west coast on way back with forays into the mountains if there's something to see?

There is so much both in Sicily and en route down Italy it is an almost impossible question. Where have you been before that you don't want to re-visit? Where apart from Rome, Naples and Pompei would you go.

That IS the reason for my question?

(BTW, I don't think you can do the Amalfi drive in a motorhome.)

Yes but we presumably could tour on motorbike?

Would you go via Venice, for example, or Siena, or where?Got any guide books yet? Possibly a browse round your local library for ideas?

Brian forgive me - that's why I asked the question on here - there is a wealth of info from folks who have visited various places - some will hit our hot button, others won't - not a problem. To me that is the use of this forum - to get some ideas. I've downloaded a few guides/blogs  from the internet and will digest them along with the replies I get from here and any other info we can assimilate.

if you are going near Orvietto you could consider a visit to a small town called Civitella de Lago in Umbria near Orvietto and the nearby Camping il Falcone a great place to chill out for a couple of days. It is a splendid small town with a very welcoming and helpful owner Carlo.

It is sometime since we were in Sicily about 6 years I think so you would have to check whether these sites are still open, the sites we used were mainly ACSI sites as well as a few sostas from the Guida Camper book.

We travelled from Greece so we only covered Soutthern Italy, staying for a night at Falerna Marina on a beachside car park which was a great position and handy for the pizzeria across the road. It took us two days from Bari down to San Giovanni where we caught the ferry to Messina. The roads down the west coast of southern Italy are amazing with long tunnels and high viaducts, incredible views but keep your eyes on the road! THe motorways are free. It is really easy to get the ferry across which takes about 35 minutes and you can get a return ticket valid for 3 months.

The decent sites we stayed at on Sicily were

Camping Villaggio Marinello at Oliveri

You must visit Cefalu and we parked down near the harbour.

We went to look at Segesta and parked outside as it was closed when we got there, but we were first in next morning beating all the coaches.

From there we went to Selinute and stayed at Camping Athena which was nice and had a decent restaurant.

We went to Corleone but It is ever so narrow and difficult to park.

The interior of Sicily is not what we expected and it is very similar to Yorkshire with moorland and stone walls. Not that many places to stop and park for lunch.

Scarabeo Camping at Punta Braccetto on the South Coast is a brilliant site right next to the beach and it is worth going to San Croce Camerina to stock up on supplies. Parking in town was easy.

You have to go to Etna. We drove up and stopped at Refuge Sapienza next to the cable car and went up the mountain next morning again before the crowds got there. It was quite expensive but you get a 40 minute cable car ride, a 30 minute ride in a tundra bus up through the snow fields (we went in May) and then a guided walk to around the rim of the crater.

There is a sosta at Lido do Noto which is quite handy for Noto and the Nature reserve at Vendicari.

Finally we went to Parking Lagani, which unlike its name is a good Motorhome parking site with picnic tables, toilet and shower facilities. It is very close to Giardini Naxos and also you can get a bus from here to Taormina. Motorhomes are not allowed at Taormina.

Hope this is helpful and have a good trip.

We toured Sicily clockwise from Messina in 5 weeks in September/October last year – a few notes follow:

Etna – outstanding, stayed 2 nights at Camping Etna in Nicolosi, which was fine and 2 nights in the car park at Rifugio Sapienza. Take the (expensive) cable-car, jeep, guided walk to the summit craters if you can (Etna erupted in December so the summit may not be open to walkers)

South East Sicily – fascinating architecture and history at Syracuse, Noto and Pantalica Necropolis. We stayed for a week just N of Avola at Camping Sabbiadoro (ACSI).

Agrigento – beautiful and fascinating but get there early!

South-West Sicily – beach at Eraclea Minoa with Greek ruins on the cliff above. Camping within 5 metres of the beach. The site would be hellish in season but only about 15 out of 200 pitches were occupied in October. Great beach site out of season.

North West Sicily - our highlight scenically. Coastal + hill walking, plus Erice mountain village. Stayed at Camping El-Bahira (ACSI), South of San Vito lo Capo for 3 nights + wildcamped for 4 nights on coastal road/track west from there.

Palermo – crazy but interesting city. I suggest that you don’t try to drive to the city. We camped at Isola delle Femmine and got the train to Palermo. Monreale was fantastic – again, get there early.

Parco del Madonie – wildcamped easily high up in the mountains here for 3 nights. Some good hill walking but paths not well-marked.

If you like mountains/hills then you must visit the Sibillini Park on the journey down through Italy, in the Appennines. Very beautiful and fantastic walking at all levels. We stayed for a week at Camping Vettore. If you do go, don’t miss the amazing Piano Grande and the village of Castellucio. We also went to Matera on our journey down, which is well-worth a visit.

Have a great trip!

Tony

Mention of the Mille Miglia reminded me of our "Grand Tour" in 2009. In Sienna we saw posters for the Mille Miglia but thought little of it but then walking in Florence we came cross a stage of it. It is a race through open streets by classic cars many Italian but also things like Jaguar XKs. We found it mind blowing because they were racing in a city centre past bus stops through pedestrian crossings etc. Only in Italy could this occur. There were police motorcyclists with their immaculately pressed uniforms and designers shades but their function seemed to be mainly to pose as opposed to any active role in traffic mangement. So if this is your thing you may just plan to come across it.

My apologies; I should have said Targa Florio, not Mille Miglia. It was still very impressive. We stayed in Cefalu, and had some "interesting" experiences, including being taxied down the narrow streets at breakneck speed 6-up in a tiny Fiat!

Just outside our hotel there was a garage that had a Lancia Stratos up on axle stands, being worked on in the street. In fact, if I can find it I'll post a photo of my now wife looking very bored, sat on the kerb waiting for me to stop drooling over it.

Happy days

regards

alan b

laimeduck - 2016-01-17 10:51 PM

Brian Kirby - 2016-01-17 6:54 PM..................................There is so much both in Sicily and en route down Italy it is an almost impossible question. Where have you been before that you don't want to re-visit? Where apart from Rome, Naples and Pompei would you go.
That IS the reason for my question?

OK. Then, if coming from the west around the coast, IMO, the first place of interest is the five villages of the Cinque Terre, west of La Spezia. It is primarily walking country, and fairly steep. We stayed at Levanto (camping Cinque Terre - GPS N44.17421 E9.62387), which was fine. Some of the coastal path was swept away during storms a while back and had still not been repaired last autumn. Trains serve all the villages including Levanto. Wasn't much impressed by them overall, but others rave. Hey Ho! :-)

You could cut a corner off France and take the road from Valence via Gap and the Col de l'Arche to Cuneo and Mondovi to pick up the A6 down to Savona, and then along the A10/A12 to Carrodano and then down to Levanto - or wherever else takes your fancy.

Alternatively, what about turning east at Grenoble via Briancon and Pinerolo to Turin? Camping Villa Rel (GPS N45.06334 E7.71946). Odd site and a bit basic, but just over the Po from the centre, and easily walked. Check it's still open. It is run by the city, but somewhat half-heartedly, and has been rumoured for closure for several years. Steep approach road, but great views across the city. Interesting city. Then on via Milan. Camping Citta di Milano (GPS N45.47436 E9.08227) is a well run municipal just inside the ring and a bus plus tube ride in. Milan cathedral is magnificent, and close to the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II if you want a bit of posh shopping, and La Scala if you want a posh musical!

Next stopover at Modena? Use the Camper Club Mutina site (GPS N44.61366 E10.94433). Its a posh sosta owned and run by the Camper Club, with extensive covered storage for their vans, and a really well laid out parking area with full facilities if wanted. They run a shuttle minibus into Modena. You tell them when you want to go, and when you want to return. Bit like a taxi service and very good value. Very pleasant city with lots of places to eat. Ferrari museum well worth a visit.

Then on via Bologna. Great city. Camping Citti di Bologna (GPS N44.52252 E11.37287) is a reliable, well run municipal with bus to centre right outside the site. Take the stairs up the leaning Torre degli Asinelli for a good view and a bit of fun, and try lunch at Da Bertino (Via delle Lami, GPS N44.49892 E11.33540) for a proper Bolognese bollito misto.

Ravenna for some truly superb Byzantine mosaics. (Sant Appolinare Nuovo, Arian Baptistry, San Vitale, Mausoleo di Galla Placida) all dating from around AD500. I know you said churches etc aren't you thing, but these really are something else. Lots of sites along the coast nearby.

Florence, for at least the Ponte Vecchio. But surely the Uffizi (you’ll have to pre book with the campsite to stand a chance of getting in)? The cathedral is spectacular, as is Bruneleschi’s San Lorenzo and Michelangelo’s Biblioteca Laurenziana. Can’t say about campsites, as there seems to have been something of a thinning out. We stayed at the Villa Camerata (GPS N43.78530 E11.29362) youth hostel, which has a small, but somewhat basic, campsite in its grounds. Don’t know if it is still functioning, but is quite near the centre with frequent buses from outside.

Pisa: for the tower, the cathedral, and the baptistery, of course, but also for the town itself, which is a delight to wander around. Camping Torre Pendente (GPS N43.72400 E10.38323) is within an easy walk of the centre. Good PAM supermarket on the way in.

Siena, home of the famous Palio, in Piazza del Campo. Also, climb the tower by the town hall, the Torre del Mangia for a superb view. Delightful place to just wander around - plus another great cathedral! :-) Camping Colleverde (GPS N43.33706 E11.33142) is nearest, and is easily walkable.

Urbino is an interesting mediaeval and renaissance walled town in the Marche. Dominated by the Pallazzo Ducale (Duke Frederico da Montefeltro, who employed anyone who was anyone to design and decorate his palace - including Pierro della Frencesca, Ucello, Luciano Laurana, and Raphael). Camping La Pineta (GPS N43.72860 E12.65665), at San Donato (about 1.5km east), is nearest with a superb view across the valley to Urbino. Use the scooter not the bikes, it is quite a hill!

Gubbio is another interesting walled medieval town in Umbria that is just a great place to wander around. Camping Citti di Gubbio (GPS N43.32157 E12.56838) is a little way outside, so bikes or scooter needed, but is otherwise fine.

Another stop, at Assisi? Camping Fontemaggio (GPS N43.06800 E12.63017) is an easy walk to town, behind a hotel, and has excellent views from a number of pitches. (Yes, I know, another church - the Basilica di San Francesco - but do you really want to pass by this one? :-)) Town is very pleasant to wander around as well.

Another site at Preci, just outside the Monte Siballini National Park. Isolated in the foothills, with an excellent restaurant on site cooking locally sourced food, mainly pork and trout, to order. Camping Il Collacio (GPS N42.88878 E13.01455). Superb views from site and details of walks from reception. Nearby Castelvecchio is an interesting Lombard village (that was still showing signs of the Assisi earthquake at the time of our visit, because the way it had been built meant sorting out rights of support and ownership was a nightmare - so possibly still under repair!).

On to Rome? We stayed at Camping Flaminio Village (GPS N41.95622 E12.48262), just inside the ring on the north. Superb facilities and train to Flaminio station (just north of Piazza del Popolo, so nice and central) from Due Ponte station, only a short walk away. Good Carrefour supermarket nearby.

Pompei, I think, next. Several sites. We used Spartacus (GPS N40.74682 E14.48395), which was fine, but take your pick. Almost opposite the entrance to the excavations, Carrefour super just down the road. However, a little way up the road is the railway station. Local line, the Circumvesuviana, runs into Naples, and also stops at Ercolano, which is where the Herculaneum excavations are. Pompei is big (and can be very dry, hot, and dusty – take water), but relatively little remains as it was buried in ash and largely destroyed. Herculaneum was more lucky, and was largely buried in a mud flow which solidified to preserve a lot more. So, if you want to get the sense of a Roman town, go there instead or, if time permits, as well. There is some unfortunate reconstruction (in bad 1960’s reinforced concrete!), but the great majority is authentic. If you can get into the small bath-house do: sheer magic! Also, while in Pompei, go to the archaeological museum at Naples, because that is where all the real goodies from Pompei and Herculaneum are on display, and they are, by and large, absolutely gobsmacking! Only when you see the museum do you really begin to understand the true status and sophistication of those towns. Also well worth a visit, are the Greek remains at Paestum (GPS N40.42398 E15.00634), which some claim are the best preserved group of Greek temples in Europe (including Greece!). BTW, the other end of the Circumvesuviana is Sorrento, so something for all tastes! And, if you wish to extend your range just a bit, a little to the west of Naples is Pozzuoli where there is a superb ruined Roman amphitheatre that retains much of its underground construction (the animal pens and the gladiatorial accommodation etc). It’s really quite something. For something quite different, and only a little way away, is the town’s “pet” volcano, Solfatara (GPS N40.82764 E14.13536). It is on the edge of the Campi Flegrei, but well inside the town. Campsite nearby too, if you want underfloor heating! It is active, but produces mainly sulphurous gas and bubbling hot mud. No cone to speak of, just a ground level crater, but quite fun! And finally, the villain of the piece, Vesuvius itself. You can drive quite a long way up, to a car park at GPS N40.82834 E14.42628, but from there you have to leg it. Once at the top you can look right down into the crater. Not a lot to see, mainly wisps of vapour, but don’t stick your fingers in, because it is a lot hotter than it looks!

Once past Pompei there isn’t much of interest, IMO, on that side of Italy until you get down to Sicily. You could divert via Matera, which has a fascinating troglodytic quarter, but it is nearly in Pulia, so quite a diversion.

(BTW, I don't think you can do the Amalfi drive in a motorhome.)
laimeduck - 2016-01-17 10:51 PM Yes but we presumably could tour on motorbike?

Correct, it is just the larger vehicles they have banned. Some of the roads are a bit “tight”!

Would you go via Venice, for example, or Siena, or where?Got any guide books yet? Possibly a browse round your local library for ideas?
Brian forgive me - that's why I asked the question on here - there is a wealth of info from folks who have visited various places - some will hit our hot button, others won't - not a problem. ...................

Sorry, I think I sense some irritation. I wasn’t having a pop at you (despite the marsh fairies quip – Puck of Pook’s Hill, and all that!), but it was a very open question on a very wide ranging topic, so I was hoping to be a bit more specific. Haven’t got as far as Sicily yet though, oddly, we’re also planning to go this spring. Perhaps we’ll stumble across each other somewhere - it can be a small world!

Brian not at all -  I'm sorry if you consider my question too broad, but honestly no irritation at all! 

I think the truth is we don't really know what we want and we're looking for some inspiration - and I think that you along with some of the others have given us just that. We can now pick & choose over the next 3-4 months, and then form a rough plan and then go and do it & explore. 
I think our problem is we've only done one long trip since we retired and are easing our way into not rushing everywhere, which we had to do when we only had a couple of weeks in high summer. It took us about a month to learn this last year when we were away for nearly 3 months. We realised that places are not just for rushing through, they hold some little gems when you have the time to explore. 

That is what I reckon the people on here have given.... their little gems, and guide books don't give the same. 

So to all who have contributed, THANK YOU for some great info & ideas.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really useful thead, thank you - I was about to post a similar question, as we are going to do the same trip this spring.

But one additional question: our timing is a bit earlier - we are currently planning to arrive in Sicily in time for the Easter celebrations at the end of March, then work our way back up Italy during April. Is this too early for the weather to be kind to us? On some basic research campsites seem to mostly start opening at end March/ beginning April so we thought it might be OK. We have a two year old so are not keen on very hot, but warm would be good!

Also, I'm looking at Fattore Amico (the Italian France Passion) - has anyone had a good experience of that?

thanks.

Archived