autotrail mohawk thule awning advice

tringy

I was thinking of buying a thule safari room to fit the thule awning on my autotrail mohawk 2015 and have read the autotrail handbook which states that the awning is designed to be used as a sunshade and not as rain protection and should be closed in the likelihood of high winds, storm, snow or heavy rain !! Never ever seen this before, are they expecting people to wind in and dismantle awning every time weather is iffy. Does anyone know if the new awnings are made of a lesser quality as our old awning was out in all weathers and was fine? I am enquiring as I'm off to Spain shortly and wondered what other options there are? Kind regardsTringy.

My Autotrail awning is MAINLY used as a rain shield, including heavy rain, as a sun shield occasionally, unfortunately ! As long as it is securely strapped against sudden gusts of wind, you will be OK.

The disclaimer is probably them covering their warranty against stupid people (and dealers) who use no restraints and then wonder why the awning gets blown over the roof of the van....and then try to claim against the warranty.

We have an AT Tracker FB. The first time we used the awning I was not happy with it in the wind and rain. As we stay often on coastal sites wind is an issue. We spend most of our time outside so the awning area was important to strengthen to allow me a relaxed nights sleep. I had visions of the awning doing a back flip with pike over my roof. I purchased an antiflap kit that has two adjustable lightweight beams, one each end of the awning. The fabric locks into the jaws on the beams deleting all the flapping & associated noise. Next was a curved rafter that fits in the centre to take the flex out of that area. Two guy ropes for each of the legs are also necessary. If you want additional strength fit an end and or side curtain. It takes less than 10 minutes to set up the additions but works a treat. We have used it a lot since we installed the extra bits and only once have I decided to pull the lot in when a rather ugly storm appeared. When I set mine up I like to have one leg slightly higher than the other to assist with the run off of rain in the support beam area, it seems to take the weight of the ponding water off the whole structure. All of the items I have mentioned were from a local supplier however I am sure there would be a British version. IMHO the lightweight awnings look so much more attractive when closed up than the heavy duty versions with fixed beams down the side of the MH. Particularly on the Auto-trail as they look semi recessed and very neat. They also keep the weight down. In summary I would rather a good looking lightweight Omnistor with extra beams than an ugly HD unit.
Cheers,
Gary C

Awning_antiflap.jpg.b324762ff98879e7925da8718f4afd7c.jpg

awning_rafter.jpg.33ecb6c7dd7933b3b47567e7be8b84b0.jpg

885083433_Awning_generalview.jpg.b17b23ab0abcb1606df2b0be283aea5b.jpg

We have a 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway fitted with a Thule Omnistor awning and we are not happy with it.

We had it erected with a side panel and the tensioner kit fitted, this was for about 1 month in Benidorm during last Oct-Nov.

When I came to pack up to go home I took the side panel down, then the tensioners on the legs, I then started to raise the awning legs, after the second leg was raised I went to wind the awning in and there was a very loud crack and the awning collapsed.

I had to get some one with step ladders to hold the awning up whilst I wound it in.

I have put in a warranty claim and have been told that something as broke on both sides of the awning and I might have to pay as they say that it is wind damage.

I told them that it had no way been up in high winds and I had also used the tensioner kit on the legs, so I have got to wait and see if I have to pay for the repair.

John.

I would never raise any single leg completely until an awning was capable of supporting itself. I move each leg back in stages winding the awning part way in then move each leg a bit more.

I'm not surprised you heard a crack !

PS also extending each leg as I move it to take the weight of the awning. The same routine is also adopted when winding out.

Sounds like a costly error on your part.

Will

We have had a omnistor safari room for 6 years and providing it is strapped on the front posts and over the top with a thule tie it stands up to spanish winds, We winter in Spain every year from Feb onwards.The wind in awning is not safe left out on its own as the wind gets underneath it,Good luck

Thanks for all your replies, sounds like I have some thinking to do I might have a look at one of the pump up camp air type but I am not sure if this will suitable for spain in the winter and summer, if anyone has experience of these please feel free to comment. Thanks Tringy.

Will H - 2016-01-20 11:32 AM

I would never raise any single leg completely until an awning was capable of supporting itself. I move each leg back in stages winding the awning part way in then move each leg a bit more.

PS also extending each leg as I move it to take the weight of the awning. The same routine is also adopted when winding out.

Will

I agree, the instructions are clear ,only let the side beams take the full weight of the awning when it is nearly fully wound in, using the legs to take the weight until then. It's best done with 2 people,especially if there is a wind blowing.

Rayjsj - 2016-01-20 9:56 PM

Will

I agree, the instructions are clear ,only let the side beams take the full weight of the awning when it is nearly fully wound in, using the legs to take the weight until then. It's best done with 2 people,especially if there is a wind blowing.

No costly error on my part, as I've been notified by dealer that the parts are on the way and will be repaired under warranty.

So excellent service from Omnistor.

John.

John.

Will

I'll second that, I think it's in the awning instructions and the dealer you bought the motorhome from should have made you aware of this. I've seen people doing what you did and taken the trouble to point out the danger to them. Most thank me. Only one told me they'd always done with no problems. I just thought sod you get on with it. Unless we are very sure of the weather we never leave ours out overnight. We did have one near miss when a storm brewed up while we were out and it needed two hefty wardens to hang on to the legs whilst I wound it in. If the wind is strong enough to seriously get under it and lift it the best you can hope for is the awning arms fail. The alternative is it rips the side out of your motorhome. I have seen the results of that first hand on a site in Scotland!

Archived