Following a star

Dancer

Greetings from Lancashire. 
we are thinking about changing our trusted but ageing Elnagh Magnum 6 for an 05 reg Burstner t-star 695 (Merc 316 cdi sprintshift auto).
Is there anything particular we should be looking for?
Thanks in advance.
Frank & Denise.

Mercedes-Benz offered the “Sprintshift” robotised-manual transmission for several years, eventually returning to a traditional torque-converter automatic gearbox for Sprinters.

Sprintshift seems either to have been loved or hated, and early versions were criticised for lethargic and/or abrupt gear-shifting, and having a mind of their own when it came to gear selection in automatic mode.

A GOOGLEing using “sprintshift problems” as the search-term will retrieve plenty of ‘hits’

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sprintshift+problems

so I suggest you take particular care to confirm that the transmission of the Burstner motorhome you are interested in is in perfect working order.

A cursory forum-search on “sprintshift” reveals that a number of forum members have owned Sprinter-based motorhomes with the Sprintshift transmission, so you may be able to get some hands-on advice from them.

Thank you Derek.
Test drove the vehicle and if I used the throttle hard the changes were very violent but all went in. Gentle throttle and it was close to a perfect ride.
Just found it seemed to prefer a higher gear in full auto than I would use.

We ran a sprint shift Merc for 6 years, easy to use and always worked well. My view is that one has to adapt to how it behaves, as with any vehicle, and adjust yourself to the way it wants to be driven. So many drivers expect all vehicles to be the same and they are just not so, even of the same make !

Archived