AutoTrail TV cable

Randonneur

If you can check the markings on the outside of the coax cable - this might give you a clue as whether it is suitable for satellite. There are various websites who offer advice on best coax type for particular applications.

If the cable run is short, it probably won't make much difference what cable grade you use. Unless, others know differently !!!

Randonneur - 2016-01-24 3:58 PM

Just put a question in good old Google and it says that RG59 is standard but RG6 is more High Gain. Didn't realise that its all called Co-ax these days, the only difference is the fittings on the ends. You learn something every day.

Sorry but I just can't resist this one.

High Gain Cable, that's a new animal, patent it quickly as you could make a mint!!

Sorry again, but Low Loss Cable would be more correct. All cables attenuate the signal but some do so more than others. Co-ax is an abbreviation of co-axial, meaning that the inner and outer conductors have the same axis. The best outer conductor would be solid tube which in corrugated form to allow bending, is used in many commercial applications.

Just put a question in good old Google and it says that RG59 is standard but RG6 is more High Gain. Didn't realise that its all called Co-ax these days, the only difference is the fittings on the ends. You learn something every day.

High Gain Cable, that's a new animal, patent it quickly as you could make a mint!!

Sorry again, but Low Loss Cable would be more correct. All cables attenuate the signal but some do so more than others. Co-ax is an abbreviation of co-axial, meaning that the inner and outer conductors have the same axis. The best outer conductor would be solid tube which in corrugated form to allow bending, is used in many commercial applications.

Alanb - 2016-01-25 4:38 PM

We DID have some cable, a few years ago, that had "high gain" printed on the cable. Sarcasm doesn't help when we are just asking for help.

Please accept my apologies, again I did say sorry in advance, and I did tender advice.

I would not advise the use of cable that will not accept the modern screw on "F" connectors. The reason being that the older TV connectors are not constant impedance, and can reflect part of the signal back towards the aerial. Compare it with looking through a pane of glass, you get partial reflections from the glass surfaces.

To state the obvious signal loss increases in direct proportion to cable length, so as been said a short length may be OK. For longer lengths, and marginal signal areas you will require the best cable that will fit the connectors. Coaxial cable loss is often expressed in dB (decibels) per 10m length. A 3db loss is equivalent to half of the original signal getting through. Like wise a 6dB loss would be equivalent to only a quarter of the original signal getting through the cable.

I hope that helps in assessing cable specifications.

Archived