"O DEAR ME"

Guest daven

Nice to see that they are well spaced out to stop fire spreading to their neighbors, (not !)

Will never moan about a Caravan Club site again. How do they manage to exit their habitation doors ?

Presumably Health and Safety has no equivalent in France ?.

Rayjsj - 2016-01-27 11:50 PM

Nice to see that they are well spaced out to stop fire spreading to their neighbors, (not !)

Will never moan about a Caravan Club site again. How do they manage to exit their habitation doors ?

From what other forum members have posted in the past it seems that some of these people use these places because they don't like being herded together on campsites.

;-)

PJay - 2016-01-28 10:41 AM

Raises the question, Who is at fault, when it comes to insurance? How would you know who's van started the fire?? Another good reason not stay on cramped aires!

PJay

I'd expect most people insure their vans but in a fire like this i can't see any company looking to apportion blame to another company. However they would certainly look closely at their own policy holder to see what they could get away with not paying out on!

The same happens to closely parked up cars too;

It is widespread practice to park closely in Aires, rather than apply the (UK only) guidelines on spacing for campsites - at  at least one UK local authority (Canterbury) allows close parking while MHs are occupied.  Hopefully this would be sufficient to dissuade any insurer from repudiating a claim because of the owners decision to park in that way.

But clearly there are risks of fire spreading very quickly and uncontrollably when MHs are parked cheek by jowl and we need to bear them in mind.  And the UK spacing intervals of 6 metres isn't enough to prevent fire spreading to other units, as the recent incident at a CC Rally shows.  Fire have spread between units on CC Club Sites too, so there is no absolute safety if you park anywhere within even 6 metres of another unit.  And of course fire sometimes spreads between houses when they catch fire too.

The firemen were clearly visible on this video clip but I was surprised not to see many campers, nor any gaps in the line of MHs, so either the fire engine had got there in time to block the only exit or this wasn't a camping gathering so much as a row of parked MHs in other circumstances, for example a car park at an event or even a MH storage location.  It would be nice to know more.

StuartO - 2016-01-29 8:21 AM

The firemen were clearly visible on this video clip but I was surprised not to see many campers, nor any gaps in the line of MHs, so either the fire engine had got there in time to block the only exit or this wasn't a camping gathering so much as a row of parked MHs in other circumstances, for example a car park at an event or even a MH storage location.  It would be nice to know more.

I thought that too Stuart. Most fires usually draw a few onlookers but in this case there was absolutely nobody around except firemen. One thing we must all surely know, once any motorhome catches fire then you get the hell out quickly because they all have so much inflammable material on board when they go, they go extremely fast.

There is a clip on YouTube of a large RV catching fire.....reduced to a smouldering wreck in minutes. It's frightening to watch.

Guiness book of records job in the most expensive fire assisted domino effect class. Murphy must have been busting his side. park close and start fore in the windward van.

Not sure that a PVC would be a good fire break. The windows would very soon go giving the flames access to the interior. Assuming the MH drivers were not there backing one of the FA against one or two of the vans and pushing them out of line would have been more use

Archived