Sargent Power Control Unit

lancepar

Sargent EC200 PSU2007 Power Control System.(PCS)

KYD Mains Polarity Changeover Switch.(MPCS)

I think my PCS box has failed, and its fixing and location makes it a PITA to remove (been there done that in the past), so before I phone Sargent on Monday to have a chat, I thought I would just ask a question on here.

According to the wiring diagram in standard mode the incoming mains goes into the PCS.

Mine is not standard as I have a MPCS next to the PCS (I have no 240v to either the mains in or mains out connector block in side this Switch) which is the problem.

*****So my question is does the 240v go to the PCS and then to the MPCS as I believe.******

Going back a few stages this has come to light following a mains failure while using the electric fire overnight recently on low. Next morning the mains had failed and inside the MPCS the block connector for the MPCS out had overheated probably due to the grip screws securing the wires coming slightly loose, but surprisingly was still making a connection (soldered its self together). This was repaired but still no mains to the PCS which to me means the PCS has failed. I have power to the mains in socket on the side of the MH but no supply to the MPCS mains in.

If I do have to get another PCS, I am going to modify its fixing and access so the plugs etc can be got at easier.

Cheers

Lance

B-)

...as you haven't had an answer, I'll try to start a debate.

I suspect the changeover switch is an "aftermarket" addition, and thus could have been installed in circuit anywhere.

It would be logical, however, to install it as the first item on the incoming mains, and indeed, the installation instructions dictate that it should be installed before any "earth leakage trip". In your case this will be the RCD contained in the PSU2007.

Accordingly, wherever it has been fitted, it should have been fitted before the PSU2007.

Given the issues you describe, it still looks more like a failure of the changeover switch than the PSU2007, (though, of course, a failure in the former might have had a knock-on effect on the latter).

I'd be carefully (re)checking the input cable and the input side of the changeover switch for live current.

Hi Robin,

100% with what you say, what I cant understand however is why I can' t get 240v to the incoming side of the switch, which makes me think the power comes into the control unit first.

Obviously I will at some time need to remove the PITA panel and then we will know for sure where the incoming mains goes 1st.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/lancepar/Autotrail/KYD-Damage_zps4qcqzqwy.jpg

The orange cable on the right is the 240v in to the switch, the left one the output, both orange cables go into the PSU2007 panel.

BTW has image posting been restored, the above I did my way, how should it be done?

B-)

It seems from the original question that you can't clearly see all of the cable run between the EHU input and the two units?

....is the rear of the EHU point easily accessible - as if is is, this would be the obvious place to wire in the changeover switch if choosing the correct point in-line.

If it isn't however, the installer may, if it is more accessible, have chosen to jump (divert) the input to the PSU2007 behind/inside this unit, divert it to the changeover, and then run it back to the original input.

If this is the case, there will be another join somewhere before the input to the changeover switch (and, unless the input cable were extended, somewhere very close to the PSU2007 230v feed (maybe, as I've said, either behind the unit or inside the case)).

Given the possibility (probability if wired in the correct sequence) of this additional join (and the arcing obvious on what would be the other end of the cable at the changeover), I'd try to check this out.

After having a chat with Sargent, the PSU is on it's way to them for a fixed price repair.

Strangely the technicians there had never heard of a KYD Mains Polarity Changeover Switch being used instead of a short conversion cable with swapped wires when abroad etc. I guess If we ever venture abroad I'll have to make one up. When mine comes back it will be as STD fit. I have no idea who or where mine was modified, here is an image, the black mains plastic plug has melted itself in BTW and has power to it but nothing is working in the panel. :'( The two orange cables on the right go in and out of the polarity switch.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/lancepar/Autotrail/WEB%20PSU2007-_zpsaihvmeyo.jpg

I'm wondering why the panel has been internally modified, when it would make more sense to take the mains into the Changeover switch first and then out of the switch into the panel without needing to take the Control Unit apart.

B-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived