To Latvia

Curly

Hi all we have travelled through Poland doing a clock wise trip and went as far as Hitlers Lair being just a spit from the Lithunaia border.

So our thoughts are as far as Latvia this time and possibly depending on documents, and other difficulties as far as St Petersburg. Now we have a very nice site at Klooster, Pluhtitsa, Kuremae, in Latvia just a 3-15 min.bus drive into St Petersburg or carying on into S.P. has anyone done this type of trip, any sugestions, pitfalls, etc, etc ,etc would be most welcome.

curly

Ps our trip through Canada driving the Alaska Highway onto Anckorage was just mind blowing 12/13 weeks of fantastic scenery without mentioning the wild life.

Curly - 2016-02-03 11:16 AM

Hi all we have travelled through Poland doing a clock wise trip and went as far as Hitlers Lair being just a spit from the Lithunaia border.

So our thoughts are as far as Latvia this time and possibly depending on documents, and other difficulties as far as St Petersburg. Now we have a very nice site at Klooster, Pluhtitsa, Kuremae, in Latvia just a 3-15 min.bus drive into St Petersburg or carying on into S.P. has anyone done this type of trip, any sugestions, pitfalls, etc, etc ,etc would be most welcome.

Hi Curly

I had planned to tour Lithuania, Latavia and Estonia in 2015 but my fuel pump electronics went belly up in France and ended up being shipped back to UK. Anyway, that's now been sorted so hope to do this trip this year.

I had a look at doing St Petersburg as from Estonia it's only about 130 miles. However a single entry Visa for Russia is £128 so it's not cheap. I 'drove' the road using Google Earth from the border control (huge long lines of HGV's!) and also looked at the approach toward St.Petersburg. It's one city i would love to visit, but think finding somewhere to overnight in a camper/mh not very easy though i see from your post you are thinking of taking the bus....is that right? If so you'd need at least two days or a long weekend and Hotels in St Petersburg are not cheap. In fact the one thing in Russia which certainly is cheap....very cheap....is diesel!

I've met a few folk who have driven in Russia and none convinced me it was worth risking the van for. Russian drivers appear to have just discovered the wheel; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc0m7da7LQw *-)

Archived