Fiat motorhome service

Billbob

I've been told off lowdhams that my fiat motorhome does not need a service this year as I have done just over 10,000 miles.It has only had a small service last year(it's first year) is this right.I will be getting the habitation and the damp check done this year though.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Bill.

The Owner Handbook for the latest-model (X290) Fiat Ducato includes a “SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE” section that contains details of the ‘Scheduled Servicing Plan’ and the scheduled servicing is based on 2-year/30,000-mile intervals.

The Owner Handbook for the immediately-preceding (X250) Fiat Ducato model (made from mid-2011 to mid-2014) includes a “MAINTENANCE AND CARE” section that contains details of the ‘Scheduled Maintenance Plan’ and the scheduled servicing is based on 24-months/30,000-mile intervals.

I’m not sure from what you’ve said whether your motorhome is built on the latest Fiat Ducato or the immediately-preceding version. However, there should be no recommended/mandatory Fiat service needed for either version at the end of the 1st year of ownership.

Apparently your Ducato had a (not strictly necessary) service after 12 months, but I’ve no idea if that ‘counts’ as far as Fiat’s recommended scheduled servicing is concerned. If it counts as the 1st service that Fiat recommends be performed at 24 months, the vehicle should not need to be serviced this year. If it does not count, then the vehicle would need to be serviced to meet Fiat’s service-when-24-months-old recommendation.

If you have any doubts about Lowdham’s advice I suggest you ask a Fiat main agent for a second opinion as the issue has obvious warranty implications.

Welcome Bill.

Service intervals for motorhomes are always confusing because the base vehicles are commercial vans which clock up many thousands of miles. When I spoke to Fiat Professional HO in 2014, they suggested an oil change every year if I was doing 6,000 miles or less plus the usual service at 2 years, the recommended 24m service service after 18 months for annual mileage of 9,000, and the normal service schedule above that. However, like Derek, they also say that it is best to consult a Fiat dealer on specific needs. I'd add consult one who knows about low mileage motorhome servicing.

According to their website, Lowdhams are a Fiat Professional garage. Lowdhams Leisure World - Nottingham outlet - is also shown on the Fiat Professional Camper Assist as a Motorhome Service Centre. That being the case, they will know as much as many of what servicing schedule suits a Fiat motorhome

Just purchased a demo X290, wondered about this, wanting to ensure it remains within guarantee so I called the local truck dealer.

The manager commented that they have a small motorhome community and they are used to the demands and usage patterns of motorhome owners which was quite pleasing.

As mentioned our van will need a service at 2 years - or 20,000 miles which ever comes first. This is required to keep the warranty, think it has only 2 years anyway but might help with cover for anything that drops off just after the period- goodwill and all that,

He also his motorhomers to have an optional annual service, - oil, filter, cab battery, check at year 1 and every year, this isn't needed to maintain the warranty but recommended for low mileage users, - isn't a huge cost, take it or leave it but should keep things running more sweetly.

I am planning to go for this - always have my cars given a minor service every year at MOT time even if they don't require it as part of the schedule anyway and as far as I know, it's kept major gremlins at bay.

"He also his motorhomers to have an optional annual service, - oil, filter, cab battery, check at year 1 and every year, this isn't needed to maintain the warranty but recommended for low mileage users, - isn't a huge cost, take it or leave it but should keep things running more sweetly."

My own Fiat dealer charges well over £200 for an oil change.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-04 10:14 AM

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Bill.

The Owner Handbook for the latest-model (X290) Fiat Ducato includes a “SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE” section that contains details of the ‘Scheduled Servicing Plan’ and the scheduled servicing is based on 2-year/30,000-mile intervals.

The Owner Handbook for the immediately-preceding (X250) Fiat Ducato model (made from mid-2011 to mid-2014) includes a “MAINTENANCE AND CARE” section that contains details of the ‘Scheduled Maintenance Plan’ and the scheduled servicing is based on 24-months/30,000-mile intervals.

I am firmly with Derek on this: RTM! (Read the Manual) Also, while at it, read the warranty terms and conditions - line by line! They relate to your van, not anyone else's.

Engine size can make a difference to what should be serviced and when. Advice given without knowledge of your van, however well intentioned, is likely to be misleading, and just might cost you your warranty.

Also, you would be well advised to ask Lowdhams whether they have specifically Fiat or Peugeot trained mechanics in their workshops, since they seem to be giving advice that conflicts with both manufacturers' service recommendations.

Until you warranty expires you would be better advised, IMO, to have your van serviced by a Fiat or Peugeot commercial dealer. I rather suspect that Lowdams do not get notified of recalls or advisories by either Fiat or Peugeot, and strongly doubt that they have authority from either manufacturer to attempt such work.

henrypartridge - 2016-02-04 2:49 PM

With Peugeot it's a warranty REQUIREMENT that oil and filter is changed after twelve months if van has done less than 6000 miles. Fiat don't seem to insist on this but I think it's good sense.

Scheduled routine servicing intervals for Peugeot Boxer/Citroen Relay vehicles are shown below:

2002 - 2006 --------------- Petrol ---------------- 20,000 miles or 1 year

2002 - 2004 --------------- Diesel 2.8 ---------- 20,000 miles or 1 year

2005 - 2006 --------------- Diesel 2.8 ---------- 12,500 miles or 1 year

2002 - 2003 --------------- Diesel --------------- 12,500 miles or 1 year

2004 - 2006 --------------- Diesel --------------- 20,000 miles or 1 year

2007 - 06/2012 ----------- Diesel --------------- 25,000 miles or 2 years

07/2012-Onwards ------- Diesel --------------- 30,000 miles or 2 years

When a Boxer or Relay has a 2-year servicing interval, I would not anticipate there being a mandatory oil/filter change after 12 months built into the warranty terms and conditions. However, I assume you own a Peugeot Boxer and if that’s what your vehicle’s maintenance and warranty documentation says, so be it.

(As you rightly say, the warranty of the current Ducato does not demand ‘interim servicing’ outside the 2-year/30k-miles scheduled routine service interval.)

Archived