Extra leisure battery question.

Rayjsj

Hello, we have a new to us PVC, which has a compressor fridge (which I have never had before). So I have fitted an extra leisure battery, another Banner 110ah (hiss boo) which exactly matches the original battery. Making a total of 220 ah. (Or there abouts) On the Sargent EC480 control panel you can set the AH of the battery fitted, do I set it to 110ah or to 220ah ? The range is from 75 to 250 ah. Presumably the setting is to calibrate the charger with which battery to expect ? Or does it not matter ?

I used the correct 2nd leisure battery wiring loom recommended for Autotrails.

Hi Ray I have a V-Line 610 with 2x110 amp batteries and it is set at 220. The system will only charge the vehicle battery when or if it needs it when the leisure batteries are fully charged. Your compressor fridge will whack the juice out of the batteries if you are not on ehu unless you have wall to wall sunshine. I sometimes switch the fridge off the last time I open it at night and on again first thing in the morning if it's not too hot when off grid. There is a V-Liners owners club on Facebook which is quite informative.

Auto-Trail’s handbook for 2015 V-line models offers the following advice regarding the Sargent EC500 Power Supply Unit/EC480 Control Panel system fitted:

“Battery Select Button

This button allows you to select which battery is used as the power source for the vehicle, or which battery is being charged by the on board charging system if connected to the mains supply. The control panel will automatically select the leisure battery when the 12 volt system is turned on. The battery select button must be pressed to manually select the vehicle battery, the selected battery will be shown on the EC480 control panel.”

However Sargent’s instructions for the EC500 system also mention a ’smart charging’ feature:

"Smart Charging

The EC500 system incorporates a smart charge feature, which monitors both leisure and vehicle batteries and automatically adjusts and directs the charger power (and solar power if a solar panel is installed) to maintain the leisure and vehicle batteries at an optimal level.”

As SAS (who owns a V-Line) advises, the control-panel’s setting should be 220Ah when 2 x 110Ah leisure-batteries are fitted (though I’m guessing that Auto-Trail fit as standard a Banner “Energy Bull” 957-51 battery that Banner ‘rates’ as 100Ah not 110Ah).

As far as I can see, setting the Ah via the EC480 control-panel will not affect how the battery-charger operates. Sargent’s instructions say:

“[AH] Leisure battery calculated capacity (percentage of Amp Hours). When the leisure battery is active (selected), this gauge will be shown. The gauge shows the predicted charge capacity of the battery. As the battery is charged this gauge will increase, as the battery is discharged (used) this gauge will reduce. This can provide a useful indication of usable battery power.”

Thanks Derek & SAS,

Yes, they are Banner energy bull 957-51 's, the reason I thought I had 220ah, is that Banner have put 110ah on their label (naughty,naughty !) , So, it looks like the information put into the EC480 only decides the ratio of level of charge to convert that into a percentage on the display, rather than Ramp up the charger ? I did notice that the charger cooling fan kicked in when the second battery was added. It didn't do that with the single battery. Probably because the original battery was fully charged and the second one wasn't ?

Still learning a lot with the new Van, re- downsizing, unfortunately I am not a Facebook user, to access the V line owners group. Might give Facebook a look though, so many questions.

As the batteries are under a bed/side seat, do they need to be fitted with venting tube's ?

This is V line specific, as storage space is at a premium, is the flimsy boxing around the battery and Truma combi boiler necessary ? From a safety angle ? It wastes a lot of bedding storage space. Ray

Ray, How are you getting on with the downsize? Is there enough room inside? I believe your wife is disabled. so is it easier for her to get in/out of? i guess the wider door is a help. What about storage, will it be adequate. we find with a luton it helps re storage, but a smaller van would be useful in many ways for us, but like single beds (don't do climbing , knee won'y allow it !!)

PJay

The Banner batteries you have do Gas more than most batteries, you will notice quite a lot of fluid needs replacement. They are quite high maintenance batteries, not the low maintenance that some advertisers claim.

More important with this battery than almost any other that you have a vent pipe fitted.

Unfortunately a pair of Banner 's wasn't my choice, but Autotrails. They seem to fit them as standard, last Autotrail had an Elcosol, with an equally bad reputation, but mine performed well. So, both Banners will need vent pipes, thanks for that, considering they are high maintenance, the filler caps are a swine to undo.

PJay, yes, access is better, slightly lower, even with a double floor, side seat in front of the door obscures it a bit, but not too badly. One thing I didn't notice in the beginning is the very small internal handle on the large sliding door, my wife cannot open the door from the inside ,especially on a slight slope......So, I will have to fit a larger internal handle. Does this effect any other Sevel pvc van owners ? What did you do ? The rear door has a similar problem, nothing to pull the door shut with, from the inside.

Our main sacrifice is our lovely single fixed beds, We will use the two side seats as singles, with duvalays as toppers, so tight, but do-able.

Storage is of course the main problem, but we are slowly adapting, the pile of discarded stuff grows ever higher.

SAS - 2016-02-15 12:59 AM

Hi Ray I have a V-Line 610 with 2x110 amp batteries and it is set at 220. The system will only charge the vehicle battery when or if it needs it when the leisure batteries are fully charged. Your compressor fridge will whack the juice out of the batteries if you are not on ehu unless you have wall to wall sunshine. I sometimes switch the fridge off the last time I open it at night and on again first thing in the morning if it's not too hot when off grid. There is a V-Liners owners club on Facebook which is quite informative.

Have joined Facebook, what exactly do I have to search for ? To find the V line owners group ?

By the way, we have named ours Victoria, viccy V line. She's a 600.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-15 11:00 AM

..So, both Banners will need vent pipes, thanks for that, considering they are high maintenance, the filler caps are a swine to undo...

You need to be aware that Banner batteries have a proprietary, non-standard size vent hole and the tube (or elbow) will need to match this.

The difficulty in removing the cell-caps has been mentioned before. There is a special tool to do this

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Banner-Battery-Cap-Opening-Tool-P9170.html

but it’s easy enough to DIY something that will do the job. (A coin held in a Mole-wrench should work OK, but does risk chewing up the caps.)

Regarding the SLD, the main complaint I've heard of is shutting the door, it does require a 'slam', this is usually achieved by having the door wide enough open and building up a bit of momentum, Globecar have a 'soft close' system I've heard more complaints of this not working but Mel seems to have fixed hers.

For opening the door the only problem I've had is the rubber seal 'sticking', for this I occasionally wipe the seal with a little silicone, gf on the otherhand has had problems a time or two, I think this may be due to only half heartedly pulling the lever with her arthitic hands, it then requires a push out at back of door, I would guess clamping or bolting on an extension to the lever would solve this, if her hands get any worse may consider this or more proboly make a new longer lever.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-16 9:50 AM

Rayjsj - 2016-02-15 11:00 AM

..So, both Banners will need vent pipes, thanks for that, considering they are high maintenance, the filler caps are a swine to undo...

You need to be aware that Banner batteries have a proprietary, non-standard size vent hole and the tube (or elbow) will need to match this.

The difficulty in removing the cell-caps has been mentioned before. There is a special tool to do this

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Banner-Battery-Cap-Opening-Tool-P9170.html

but it’s easy enough to DIY something that will do the job. (A coin held in a Mole-wrench should work OK, but does risk chewing up the caps.)

Crikey Derek, 14 pounds for a tool to open the battery caps !!! I have a good supply of 2p coins, and set of grips, they will have to do.

Any comment about batteries being in the bed boxes ? I have an old plastic table top, just the size of the 2 batteries, with that on the top of the batteries, would it be safe to store bedding on top of them ? Storage is at a premium.Both batteries will be vented through the floor.

Rayjsj - 2016-02-16 9:05 PM

Crikey Derek, 14 pounds for a tool to open the battery caps !!! I have a good supply of 2p coins, and set of grips, they will have to do.

Any comment about batteries being in the bed boxes ? I have an old plastic table top, just the size of the 2 batteries, with that on the top of the batteries, would it be safe to store bedding on top of them ? Storage is at a premium.Both batteries will be vented through the floor.

Why not cut a washer, not a 2p of course as defacing coin of the realm is not legal and that would never do - to size then get a large nail (4" +), grind off the point, bend it to make a handle, cut a slot in the end and solder the washer in place - et voila - a freeebie cap opener!

Our leisure batteries are under an internal locker, up against a bulkhead, vented out and sealed in by a wooden panel with a fitted lid that just sits on top on foam draught excluder but there is no room to store bedding or anything else on top of it, so your lockers must be deeper than ours but I would be happy to use the space above them to store anything as long as it were sealed and vented.

You may recall the battery being underfloor in the Starlet/Starburst and we kept our bedding in that locker on top of the battery compartment with no issues and I don't see any real difference in principle!

Rich, there is extra space because this van has a double floor, and the batteries sit on on the bottom.So quite a large gap. Lots of clever storage (like 2 folding chairs hung on the inside of a rear door,and covered ) but not a lot of space for bulky stuff like duvalays, and they are needed because the beds are made up of separate cushions (at least mine is !). Also lots of storage under the false floor, but only thin or long stuff, and you need to tether it, so you can pull it out again. Well thought out, and I like the one-piece moulded wash/shower room/toilet. Still trying to get the hang of it all. A largish pile of Not wanted on voyage stuff though.

Ps your first paragraph is right out of Blue Peter, I get the idea though.

It can be guessed from the shape of the end of the tool marketed by Tayna that the slot in a Banner battery’s cell-cap is 'square-section'. This means that a coin (and I think a 2p piece has too large a diameter) fits poorly in the slot and, because a fair amount of torque is needed to undo the cap due to the type of seal Banner uses, there’s a good chance that the coin will slip and mutilate the cap’s slot.

Holding a coin in a Mole-wrench is such a crude bodge and manipulation of this makeshift tool may prove tricky if the battery is located in a confined space. I just cut a piece of appropriate gauge scrap aluminium into a suitable shape - took about 5 minutes.

Archived