Clermont Ferrand to Calais - overnight stops in February ?

Matrix Meanderer

Having just driven back from Spain along the excellent A75 to Clermont Ferrand where we stopped overnight at the ACSI site Le Clos Auroy (very good with heated shower room), we struggled to find open sites and even aires north of Orleans.

Having stopped at two muddy and quite expensive ACSi sites on the way up to Calais, we thought that forum members could recommend better overnight stops.

First night we stopped at: Les Ilots de St Val near Villiers le Morhier (ACSI No 1878) which was not the easiest site to access from the main north south routes and was wet and muddy with military style showers.

We then stopped at L'Eté Indien at Wimereux, just north of Boulogne which was even worse. We've stopped there before and vowed not to return!

The problem is the large gap in the winter campsites and recognised aires that are not truck stops north of Oreleans. And of course we want to steer well clear of Calais (which was very quiet yesterday).

We don't like the aire at Pont de L'arche (noisy and easily full).

So any suggestions for our 2016 drive home??

Thanks

Three aires between Orléans and Calais are at : Châteaudun, Marboué, Gournay-en-Bray. All are on hardstanding. I can particularly recommend Marboué. All are free parking although there are charges for services. Water may be off during winter months.

I do not have co-ordinates but these are probably available from the Motorhomefacts or Campingcarinfos websites.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2016-02-15 6:22 PMThree aires between Orléans and Calais are at : Châteaudun, Marboué, Gournay-en-Bray. All are on hardstanding. I can particularly recommend Marboué. All are free parking although there are charges for services. Water may be off during winter months.I do not have co-ordinates but these are probably available from the Motorhomefacts or Campingcarinfos websites. Cattwg :-D

I don't know the other two but the Aire at Chateaudun is on a riverside car park in a pleasant location and there is a Boulangerie just 50 metres the other side of the bridge.  Chateaudun is also a fairly easy one day drive to Calais/Dunkerque.

As a fallback in case the Chateaudun Aire is not available, there is another Aire only a couple of miles away at St Dennis le Pont, on gravel just behind the church.  Both have service points.

As another fallback, there is a gravel visitors car park outside the Municiple Campsite which is accessible even when the campsite is closed.

Another aire between Orléons and Calais, although this time well to the east of Paris is at Bellicourt. The aire is actually in the tiny hamlet of Riqueval, just S of Bellicourt – heading N it's a LHT off the N44 just before a long hill and immediately after the canal. It's situated on a slip road behind the ‘Souterrain De Riqueval' museum at the start of the St Quentin Canal Tunnel. Free parking and dumps for 2 ‘vans. OK for a quiet overnight stop, we’ve used it on several occasions. Jetons (€4) from adjacent TIC are required for services, although we’ve never caught the TIC open. The parking area is on a slope so chocks are needed. About 110mls SE of Calais.

Cattwg :-D

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on suitable stops. I relied a little to much on "All the Aires" publication rather than using the full databases (incl. Camperstop) in my Snooper sat nav for locations in this area.

We also like the aires at Le Touquet even though they are not cheap, distance from Calais is ideal.

Will certainly check out the suggestions.

We often do this route and here are a few of our favourite stops (all with good dog walks) -

Nonancourt is perhaps a bit too far west but it has a nice little aire, rather slopey, an excellent restaurant in the town- Le Grande Cerf - and a pleasant riverside park beside the aire.

Another is Neufchatel en Bray, a commercial aire, with entrance barrier, 12 euros/night with EHU + wi-fi, next to the Voie Verte cycle track for a wonderful cycle ride in both directions and a good dog walk.

Les Bordes (just past Sully sur Loire) is a good night halt, it's about 20m off the main road so there is a little road noise but this settles down after about 10pm. As you turn into the aire you'll see a barrier across and may think the aire is closed but the barrier is not locked and you can just push it open. This is a small free aire beside a small wood and lake, again good for dogs.

St Pourcain sur Sioule is a nice riverside aire in a pleasant town with good walks from the aire.

South of Clermont Ferrand we like Ruynes en Margeride, about 5k off the A75 in a lovely little village, nothing much there but a peaceful night halt, good dog walk and nice boulangerie in the village.

La Couvertoirade again further south but just off the A75 is a great aire beside a beautiful ancient bastide town, well worth a visit and a good walk to a windmill.

All these aires have hard standing and can take a big MH (we're 9m).

Hope that helps. My husband writes a blog which may be of interest www.peterandnia.com

Matrix Meanderer - 2016-02-17 10:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on suitable stops. I relied a little to much on "All the Aires" publication rather than using the full databases (incl. Camperstop) in my Snooper sat nav for locations in this area.

We also like the aires at Le Touquet even though they are not cheap, distance from Calais is ideal.

Will certainly check out the suggestions.

There is the all year site at Montreuil, the town also has an aire on a car park.

Thanks Marvin.

Yes we have stayed at the quirky little site at the foot of the hill in Montreuil (no longer) sur Mer - had forgotten that one. Great patisserie in the main square.

Must be getting too reliant on the ACSI book and the All the Aires book.

Motto for next year - other guide books and sat nav programmes are available (lol)

Thanks for the reminder.

Matrix Meanderer - 2016-02-23 10:57 PM

Thanks Marvin.

Yes we have stayed at the quirky little site at the foot of the hill in Montreuil (no longer) sur Mer - had forgotten that one. Great patisserie in the main square.

Must be getting too reliant on the ACSI book and the All the Aires book.

Motto for next year - other guide books and sat nav programmes are available (lol)

Thanks for the reminder.

It's a very handy site depends on when you "land" in France. Don't know about cake shops, don't eat them, and I don't like french bread either, quality too variable for me, and "pan complet" far too expensive for what you get.

Archived