Motorhome sale

Brian Kirby

Well, we want to get a new one, so the present one has to go!

For reasons I won't bore you with, part exchange isn't a practical option, and the sale needs to be reliable, quick and uncomplicated.  Then I can order the new van.

I have no experience of selling motorhomes.  If anyone done this within, say, the past year or so, would you be kind enough to give me some guidance?

I'm aware there are substantial risks with private sales, mainly over security of payments.  Since I'm hoping for near £25K, it seems asking people to wander around with cash is a bit impractical.  However, I hear of bogus banker's drafts and forged building society cheques.  Does anyone know what can be relied upon?

For payment security, I'm somewhat inclined to sell to the trade, even though that will mean a lower price.  It is also likely to secure a quicker sale than advertising, and awaiting replies.  Has anyone experience of selling to dealerships?  Any dealerships you could recommend - within the South East if possible, it's where I live!

Finally, internet sales - no, not ebay!  There are a number of sites for private sales via the internet: there is a "Buy and Sell" section to these forums.  Any experience of these?

Please do send private mail if you prefer, and I'll reply by the same means.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian direct bacs transfer from buyers account to your own is as safe a method as exists at present. It also avoids any waits while cheques/draft etc are cleared. A general point which should be borne in minds by all in this position is that that bankers drafts and building society cheques are not guaranteed methods of payment both are open to fraud so take care not to get caught out. The other scam for private sales is the "nigerian scam" where someone offers more than you are asking for. Nobody sensible does this don't get caught out by this you lose in the long term. Docted

Hi, Docted Regarding " The other scam for private sales is the "nigerian scam" where someone offers more than you are asking for. Nobody sensible does this don't get caught out by this you lose in the long term. I have heard of this but i have never quiet got the hang of what actually takes place ? can you or anyone explain, not that I want to get involved, its just that i really can't see what happens

Nigerian Scam. from what i understand...you get a bankers draft or some other form of gaurenteed payment for more than the asking amount to take into consideration extra cost,delivery etc, however after title for the goods is past the bank will inform you that the payment was made fraudulantly and the monies will be clawed back....so in effect,,you lose the dosh and you goods have been resold with legal title.....the way i look at it is....no cash,,,,no sale,,,,,and check the notes aint forged....

Hi Brian, You must be aware that at this time of year is the worst time to sell, can you not wait till the spring, when there will be many more people thinking of going into motorcaravaning. My suggestion would be to advertise localy so people who come to view do not have far to travel, also on the security side of things as regards payment, and hopefuly for you a lot of money,could you not arrange payment to go through a local solicitor to act as a banker, just a thought, good luck. Chas

Go with the person to their bank and ask for a bank transfer. This is almost immediate if prearranged. Go with that person to confirm that the money has been transfered into your bank OR go to the bank with them and witness the bankers draft being written. Take it straight to your bank with them for clearance. It is not an easy thing to do and I wish you all the best. Phone your bank for advice Chris Good luck

Hi Brian We bought our new van from a dealer down south in April 2006. First of all we confrimed with our own bank if there was a branch near to the dealer. Our own bank then confirmed with that branch that we would be able to transfer money into the dealers bank on the day of sale. When the day of sale arrived we went to the branch with the dealer and completed the transfer. It takes a few hours for the transfer to go through to the dealers bank. We then waited at the dealers for the call to come through from the bank and the sale was completed. If you sell privately you could use the same procedure and go to the buyers bank and wait to you get the call from your bank that the money has been cleared and is in your account. Hope your sale goes well. Glad

Archived