Swift lifestyle 590 RS (2008)

Nathan73

Hi all, were very seriously considering our first MH, we've looked at 6 berths rear lounge, but after weighing up the extra length and ferry prices we have finally settled on a 5 berth.

We're looking at a lifestyle 590 RS 2008, 6 speed 130bhp engine.

I'm led to believe the lifestyle version was a dealer special?

An advice/ observations from owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Nathan73 - 2016-02-24 7:47 PM

...I'm led to believe the lifestyle version was a dealer special?...

Nathan

Swift “Lifestyle” motorhomes (like Elddis “Majestic” motorhomes) are ‘special edition’ vehicles marketed exclusively through the Marquis dealership network.

Compared with Swift standard versions, “Lifestyle” models may have unique exterior graphics, interior styling changes (eg. different upholstery fabric) and an enhanced specification (eg. cab air-con, cruise control and a passenger airbag may be part of the standard spec of a “Lifestyle” model).

As there’s no basic difference between a standard Swift “Sundance” 590RS and the equivalent “Lifestyle” 590RS, advice/comments on (and reviews of) the former should be relevant to the latter.

Your best bet for hands-on feedback from 590RS owners is to ask for comments via the SwiftTalk website

http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/

Hi Nathan

We have a Swift Lifestyle 590RS (2006) so the earlier model to yours, well the ducato part. Had ours from new, and more than happy with it. Plenty of space for 2, though my son has had a lot more in it(Don't ask)

We find the lay out right for us, as you are not in the way when cooking, with an end kitchen.

The lifestyle range was exclusive to Marquis, and as Brian said , has up graded upholstery, curtains, ours has corner steadies, which we use, as it stabilizes the van We use ours for long trips to Spain, so sadly the upholstery has faded a bit, but otherwise still in good state, (not worn) We have the 2.3 engine, but yours will be a different one , I guess, as the later version. Ours is to-day having it's annual service and MOT

If it is the layout you want, and you are happy then go ahead with the purchase, and enjoy many years with it as we do

PJay

PJay - 2016-02-25 10:55 AM

Hi Nathan

We have a Swift Lifestyle 590RS (2006) so the earlier model to yours, well the ducato part. Had ours from new, and more than happy with it. Plenty of space for 2, though my son has had a lot more in it(Don't ask)

We find the lay out right for us, as you are not in the way when cooking, with an end kitchen.

The lifestyle range was exclusive to Marquis, and as Brian said , has up graded upholstery, curtains, ours has corner steadies, which we use, as it stabilizes the van We use ours for long trips to Spain, so sadly the upholstery has faded a bit, but otherwise still in good state, (not worn) We have the 2.3 engine, but yours will be a different one , I guess, as the later version. Ours is to-day having it's annual service and MOT

If it is the layout you want, and you are happy then go ahead with the purchase, and enjoy many years with it as we do

PJay

Thats great guys thank you so much fornthe reply. Were a family of four. Kids are 6 and 9. Do you think space will ne a little tight, ots a 5 berth were looking at, and apart from a few holidays in vans were used to a tent so to us when we have viewed them we think theyre all huge!!

We looked at the Swift 590 but ended up buying a Swift Freestyle 630L .

The 590 appeared very cramped in the front end with all the beds made up. Access to the overcab bed was difficult with the other beds in place. With the entrance at the rear you had to pass through the kitchen area to reach the bathroom or lounge areas. With kids we just could not see this layout working for us. Your lifestyle (sorry!) may be different.

The 630L with the rear lounge/bedroom was more convenient when the occupants went to bed at different times.

We bought new in 2008 and still have the motorhome so we must like it. Many of the fittings are the same as on the 590 and they are showing little wear.

The Freestyle bit was a special from Lowdhams with different upholstery, graphics and a reversing camera (the last thing I wanted) but it was all packaged at a good price.

General points only.

Does your driving licence allow you to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes MAM? I ask, because a 5/6 berth motorhome that is to carry a family of four, with two growing children, is likely to struggle for adequate payload unless its MAM is in excess of 3.5 tonnes. The larger the van, the heavier it will be, and the smaller its payload will be for its given MAM. This will, of course, depend on how you intend using it, and where, but extended trips will involve extra "stuff". Have you checked these aspects, and are you satisfied that its payload it will work for you?

I'm assuming that the main periods of use will be during school holidays, when you will probably need to book sites, and when costs are at their maximum. This will not give the van extensive use. These vehicles are based on light commercial van "chassis", and they do not always respond well to lengthy periods of disuse.

Campsites are frequently in somewhat remote places, meaning you will probably need alternative means of transport to get to shops or attractions you may wish to visit. Will you rely on bikes (that will have to be transported - payload again!), or public transport?

In peak holiday season parking space at attractions is likely to be at a premium, and in general in UK is always at a premium at supermarkets etc. A large van (even most small vans) will not fit into a single car parking bay, and this can create problems (and sometimes parking fines :-() anywhere you need to park.

What I am saying is that whereas a big van gives you lots of space, when you need to park it, it needs lots of space. So the size issue is something of a two way street. I'm also just musing on why you've elected to go for a motorhome, since much of what you seem to be contemplating might, arguably, be better met by a trailer caravan, leaving you with a more easily parked runabout car for those other shopping etc trips. Not suggesting, just musing, you understand! :-)

Final thoughts. The rear overhang is, IMO, excessive and, when fully laden, is liable to become a grounding problem, especially on and off ferries. Some form of rear suspension assistance would be, IMO, a wise investment.

I also suspect that this long overhang, coupled to the bulbous Luton, may make it a bit of an "interesting" drive in windy conditions.

If considering travel on continental toll motorways, especially France, this will become very expensive since, with a height of over 3.0 metres, it will be charged in class three - and class two is bad enough!

Nathan73 - 2016-02-25 2:43 PM

Hi Nathan

PJay

Thats great guys thank you so much fornthe reply. Were a family of four. Kids are 6 and 9. Do you think space will ne a little tight, ots a 5 berth were looking at, and apart from a few holidays in vans were used to a tent so to us when we have viewed them we think theyre all huge!!

I think you will have enough space for your family, put the kids in the over cab, shut the curtains BINGO!

I guess you will not use for long holidays, as we do, (3 months) so will not need lots of gear As I said with the kitchen at the rear , means cooking out of the way. We don't sleep in the over cab now, but great for kids, and storage during travel time

B est of luck with your purchase

PJay

Hi we had a 2000 590 RS Lifestyle used to take mum and dad us two and two dogs for ten days at a time. The new layout is much the same. The only thing we found is if you use the extension for the double bed we could not keep the ladder in place for night time loo visits. So we altered it by making the extension narrower and moved the ladder a bit. As Brian says whatch your payload. We found it a well built van and had four years trouble free use covering some fifty five thousand miles.

weldted - 2016-02-25 10:38 PM

Hi we had a 2000 590 RS Lifestyle used to take mum and dad us two and two dogs for ten days at a time. The new layout is much the same. The only thing we found is if you use the extension for the double bed we could not keep the ladder in place for night time loo visits. So we altered it by making the extension narrower and moved the ladder a bit. As Brian says whatch your payload. We found it a well built van and had four years trouble free use covering some fifty five thousand miles.[/quote)

55, 000 MILES IN 4 YEARS thats a lot of miles. We have not reached that in 10 years.

PJay

Brian Kirby - 2016-02-25 5:06 PM

General points only.

Does your driving licence allow you to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes MAM? I ask, because a 5/6 berth motorhome that is to carry a family of four, with two growing children, is likely to struggle for adequate payload unless its MAM is in excess of 3.5 tonnes. The larger the van, the heavier it will be, and the smaller its payload will be for its given MAM. This will, of course, depend on how you intend using it, and where, but extended trips will involve extra "stuff". Have you checked these aspects, and are you satisfied that its payload it will work for you?

I'm assuming that the main periods of use will be during school holidays, when you will probably need to book sites, and when costs are at their maximum. This will not give the van extensive use. These vehicles are based on light commercial van "chassis", and they do not always respond well to lengthy periods of disuse.

Campsites are frequently in somewhat remote places, meaning you will probably need alternative means of transport to get to shops or attractions you may wish to visit. Will you rely on bikes (that will have to be transported - payload again!), or public transport?

In peak holiday season parking space at attractions is likely to be at a premium, and in general in UK is always at a premium at supermarkets etc. A large van (even most small vans) will not fit into a single car parking bay, and this can create problems (and sometimes parking fines :-() anywhere you need to park.

What I am saying is that whereas a big van gives you lots of space, when you need to park it, it needs lots of space. So the size issue is something of a two way street. I'm also just musing on why you've elected to go for a motorhome, since much of what you seem to be contemplating might, arguably, be better met by a trailer caravan, leaving you with a more easily parked runabout car for those other shopping etc trips. Not suggesting, just musing, you understand! :-)

Final thoughts. The rear overhang is, IMO, excessive and, when fully laden, is liable to become a grounding problem, especially on and off ferries. Some form of rear suspension assistance would be, IMO, a wise investment.

I also suspect that this long overhang, coupled to the bulbous Luton, may make it a bit of an "interesting" drive in windy conditions.

If considering travel on continental toll motorways, especially France, this will become very expensive since, with a height of over 3.0 metres, it will be charged in class three - and class two is bad enough!

I appreciate your input, your input I find completely irrelevant but thanks anyway, towing caravans are, in my opinion rightly banned on the Isle of Man so even if I wanted one ( which I fully and wholeheartedly don't) I couldn't get one.

Like I said I appreciate your input but find it to be patronising and completely unhelpful.

PJay - 2016-02-25 7:05 PM

Nathan73 - 2016-02-25 2:43 PM

Hi Nathan

PJay

I think you will have enough space for your family, put the kids in the over cab, shut the curtains BINGO!

I guess you will not use for long holidays, as we do, (3 months) so will not need lots of gear As I said with the kitchen at the rear , means cooking out of the way. We don't sleep in the over cab now, but great for kids, and storage during travel time

B est of luck with your purchase

PJay

PJay thank you for your input, we've found it very helpful, your right to surmise we will not be in it for lots of lengthy tours, more lots of long weekends wild camping with maybe a couple of holidays of 10 days or so over in the uk.

We're used to a 4 man tent so we think the space will be enough too!!

Archived