Trailers

If I understand it right my licence allows me to drive up to 3500kg with a trailer up to 750kg, my swift escape has a tow bar and max weight of 3300kg is it as simple as buying a small trailer and attach or is it more complicated than that. It wouldn't weigh anywhere near 750kg just the awning chairs table etc

It might be a bit more complicated, but not much.

Check the VIN/weight plate on your motorhome, which should show a larger figure than your motorhomes own maximum allowable weight, which is the gross train weight - i.e. the maximum allowable combination weight of vehicle plus trailer.   If this is more than 750kg above your vehicle's maximum weight (i.e. 4150kg or higher using your figure of 3300kg) you will be OK with a trailer of 750kg.  If the gross train weight is less than 4150kg, deduct 3300 from it and that's your maximum allowable trailer weight.  It sounds like the sort of trailer you have in mind is unlikely to exceed these limits.

Bear in mind that with a short trailer which you cannot see in your mirrors, reversing will be difficult and maybe impractical.  Consider fitting a reversing camera which will allow you to see when the trailer starts to pivot as soon as it does so, so you can correct immediately.

The reversing problem can be alleviated a bit by attaching rubberised marker units both sides of the trailer so that the overall width is the same as the van.

As soon as the trailer starts turning you'll be able to see the end of the marker in one or other of the wingmirrors.

See http://www.indespension.co.uk/outline-marker/324-el252.html. Don't know if they'd be wide enough but you get the idea.

Guest pelmetman
Jonboymentalhealth - 2016-03-03 10:23 AM

It wouldn't weigh anywhere near 750kg just the awning chairs table etc

Yeah that's how it starts out (lol) ............I'm planning on adding two 4 mtr x 2 mtr lengths of artificial grass to our load next year :D .........

Archived