Tolls on Geerman Autobahn yet?

StuartO

I've posted on this before, so I did some following up of my previous links.

As far as I can determine, it was due to be implemented this year, but has (as expected) been placed under review by the EU as being discriminatory against foreign users. As a result, it has been postponed for the time being.

The links I used previously have expired, but ultimately lead here, which has some further information as you scroll down:

https://www.1averbraucherportal.de/versicherung/recht/maut#

To summarise (what is possibly not the final situation):

German registered cars (and motorhomes) will be treated differently to foreign ones, and motorhomes differently to cars).

My previous research indicated that (foreign) motorhomes would be treated the same as (foreign) cars (and whilst the above doesn't clarify that, I find nothing that would make me think otherwise).

German vehicles will have to buy an annual vignette, foreign vehicles a 10 day or 2 month one, these will be respectively €10 and €22.

Whilst somewhat unwelcome, this doesn't seem prohibitive given the amount of Autobahn mileage many of us will do (and hopefully not on the Austrian lines with an expensive Go-Box over 3500kg).

StuartO - 2016-03-04 11:42 AMI haven't been to Germany recently but last time I was there they appeared to be preparing to charge tolls on the Autobahn.

Has this happened yet?  Anyone know how the system works for MHs and what the costs are?

Hello Stuart
From my understanding and friends in Germany, the original plan to introduce Tolls on it's autobahns has been suspended for the time being. This is due to the following:-
A] It is seen by other countries as discriminating against all foreign drivers
B] The reason being is that the owners of German registered vehicles will see a reduction in their Taxes, so in effect they will pay the annual fee, but get it back in their reduced tax codes.

The annual fee was rumored to be 80 to 90 Euros per annum.

We are off into Germany for the Easter break, so will let you know what happens to us.

Hope i have explained things.

All the links I have followed (like this BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33191332)

suggest that the introduction of the toll has been suspended due to an EU objection. I have not been able to ascertain what the "revised" start date is - I guess it will depend upon the outcome of the legal challenges brought by the EU against the German government & if any changes to the scheme proposed by the German govenment meet with the EU's approval.

I will find out for certain early June !

Archived