Puzzled about tyre

JonMac46

Last Sunday I was checking our van and noticed one front tyre was completely flat. I don't know for how long as we have been away for several weeks.

The tyre was still on the rim, so I took my small compressor to it and blew it back up.

One week later it is still holding the pressure - no noticeable drop in the reading.

Two questions:

1. Is it likely the sidewall was damaged with the weight of the van compressing it?

2. How did it happen as it seems to be OK?

I always check the pressures before going out, and I haven't seen any prior evidence of a slow leak.

Thanks.

Could be the valve was unseated, when you inflated it the valve was pushed tight again.

Corrosion around the valve hole can cause this, have a good look at it, and if in doubt ask a tyre fitter to clean the hole and fit a new high pressure valve.

I assume you have high pressure valves and not just ones for cars, as that could be another issue.

JonMac46 - 2016-03-06 1:06 PM

Last Sunday I was checking our van and noticed one front tyre was completely flat. I don't know for how long as we have been away for several weeks.

Thanks.

I had a similar situation where the van had been stationary on the drive for about two weeks, when one morning I saw that one tyre was almost flat.

I had to put some air in to move the van forwards to get at the spare - and the tyre stayed ' up '.

It turned out to be the valve - which had split around the hole where it passed through the wheel.

It would retain air until I pushed it sideways - when air would leak out.

I actually wedged it in an upright position with a small stone ( which stopped it leaking ) until I could get it changed.

:-|

Hi all, I have just purchased 4 Clamp in metal tubeless tyre valves at £5 each from a commercial spares seller to carry with me so that if I should get a puncture these valves can be used instead of the car types that are normally fitted. TR-416 is the part No. I assume that these will be suitable if slightly over the top for my 3500 MH on 215/70/15 Tyres. "A"

I have known instances where a screw or similar has penetrated the tyre but is tight enough that there is no leak in use or only very slowly as the screw isdisturbed by contact with the ground once a rev.

If it gets left for a while with the screw in contact with the ground it deflates completely but pumps up OK.

Archived