Motorhome MOT's

Don Madge

Andy Clarke the Motorhome List owner has posted the following on the Motorhome List, it will be of interest to many Forum members. "Some members may be aware of discussions in other places, and statements is some motorhome mags, concerning the interpretation of motorhomes with garages as 'living vans' by MOT testing stations. The issue is that a 'living van' is regarded effectively as a goods vehicle and therefore, if over 3500kg GVW, requires a Class 7 MOT test *every year from new* With my UKMotorhomes.net hat on I've been in discussion with VOSA and the Department for Transport about the issue, and it seems that I've managed the get the DfT to change its view on the matter. In a letter received today, they now say that is is up to the motorhome owner to declare, to the testing station, whether goods are carried. If the declaration is made that goods are not carried, the vehicle should be accepted as a 'motor caravan', which requires a Class 4 test every year from 3 years old. Details of the discussions can be seen at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome_mot.shtml Andy Clarke" Hopefully that should sort out the problem, If you beleive that you will beleive anything. Don

Thanks for the info Don which I have printed out and will give to my local garage. When trying to have my van mot,d this summer, the garage owner and myself had a chat and because we were both unsure I decided to take the van to a class 7 testing station 5 miles away. Looking at the details, there appears to be no reason why my local garage can not do the mot there, and as they carry out all my servicing and repairs this will provide a more convenient one stop operation. Howard.

I raised this issue under "motorhome or HGV" back in May, so it seems to be still doing the rounds. Incidentally we used the VOSPA site just outside Canterbury and were very much impressed with sensible approach of the testers. We are NOT HGV for taxation purposes but DO have some HGV characterists (MGVW 7.49 tonnes) and we were tested as group 4 light heavy goods, which is good Government speak if ever I saw it! There's certainly no room for goods in the garage its full of our old rubbish!

Clive why are you starting the debate then? I asked a perfectly civil question and capitals is convention for shouting, I did not and do not understand the shouted comment and ask for clarification. Get a tent does not make sense to me in the context of the rest of the posts. Bas

Hi all just had my Hymer MOT ed for the second year , [ class 4 ] my van is about 26 feet long and gross weight is 4600 kgs super garage near Cadam in the New Forest ,cost was £ 45 . hope thiis helps you all, Regards Malc. 44444444444,

My motorhome is 3800kgs 25ft long and is classified as a class 4. I take mine to a commercial fleet garage who mainly service there own vehicles but carry out MOTs for the trade this the 4th year now with two ive owned and it cost me £35. Its the Ramp size that determined a number of stations although authorised to do class4 they just couldnt get it on, The station i use has the same problem with the turntable to test the steering but managed to get over the problem with a bit of shunting back and forward. Pete

Archived