window condensation.

geordy paul

Hi, after some advice on the windows of our van.

We have a 64 plate Autocruise accent bought from new.

It has been great but there is an issue thats bugging me.

With the exception of the two back windows, all the others suffer with condensation

when the weather gets cold.

It's in the double glazing and looks like what happens to blown double glazing.

The dealer I bought from is trying to tell me this is normal.

However, in tis recent cold snap I decided to have a look at some other nearly new vans

and none had the same problem.

So my question is is it normal for this to happen?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul.

Normal? No. Unusual? No. My handbook says that in extreme weather conditions or if the temperature fluctuates strongly, a light condensation film can form that will evaporate when the external temperature increases. I get it sometimes on my current van and my last van kitchen window when I've washed the van's exterior and mainly in the summer. The kitchen window is in the shade. It disappears within an hour or so when the sun gets on the van. The window is designed so the condensation can evaporate without damaging the window.

Subject to whatever anyone else says, I would keep a log of when it happens and how long it is before it disappears.

It's been bugging me for a while now.

Especially as today I went for a look at other vans to see if they had the same issue.

Looked around to dealers, at least fifty or sixty vans of all shapes and sizes.

Not one had misted up windows yet my dealer still insists that it is normal.

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago on my 15 plate MH. I contacted Auto trail and was told that the windows are not sealed units like domestic ones and therefor can have condensation problems.

Not sure if I was being told the truth, but, the misty windows has only happened once so far.

If the windows are of the plastic double glazed variety, then we have had this on occasions on various vans. As has been mentioned previously this can be caused by differing or changing temperatures, and in ours there was a small bung, which if you removed for a short period allowed the 'internal' part to equalize in temperature and cleared the misting/condensation.

In fact in our present motorhome, we had a similar problem in the skylight over the shower/toilet room, and that one didn't have the same bung system. I merely drilled a small hole in the inside part, and that cleared the problem altogether.

Hope this is of some help.

It is normal, but it requires the right (wrong? :-)) conditions for it to arise. Two sheets of acrylic have an air gap between them. There is a small plug somewhere in the inside sheet, that allows minor air pressure fluctuations to transfer between the airspace and the air inside the van. This inevitably also allows some humidity from the air in van to enter the airspace. That humidity will usually stay airborne, but in very cold weather, when the outer acrylic sheets chills, its temperature may drop below the dew point of the air in the cavity, causing a light most of condensation on the cavity face of the outer sheet. As the weather warms and the outer sheet warns with it, the misting will go. Dealer's vans seldom show this as they stand empty, and so have far less humidity in their internal air.

Archived