Brake Pad Failure

Cliffy

When the van was in having the timing belt changed they spotted that the front brake pads disintegrating. So I had them replace them.

The thing is I have only done 320 miles since the MOT. I appreciate that it is difficult to see the pads without removing the road wheels. The pads were in a dangerous condition, collapse was imminent.

I have attached a photo, it looks like they have been affected by heat, we have not done any serious down hills since June last year.

I have been getting an oil and filter change every year and a big service every two years

Should I have the brakes checked every year when I have the oil and filters changed or should the MOT tester check the pad condition more thoroughly?.

1227993013_brakepad.jpg.b9613cc47698d80c52cc56af510ae523.jpg

Brambles - 2016-03-08 10:06 PM

You may find this thread interesting..

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Brake-pads-and-MOT-Ducato/35154/

A very interesting thread. I will make sure I check the pads every year after two years old. I don't like thinking about having a complete brake failure on a mountain pass.

It is a subject that is not highlighted enough and MMM should raise awareness through the magazine.

It has come up in the past. Its probably due to the motorcaravan standing around in winter without being warmed up to keep the rust at bay.

The wheels do not come off for MOT and on most designs the pads are effectively hidden from view. As long as the efficiency reading is correct its a pass.

Best practice for a camper is wheels off once a year for a visual and pads out every two for a good look.

A normal LGV would wear the pads out before the rust bugs got fat.

George Collings - 2016-03-08 11:26 PM

It has come up in the past. Its probably due to the motorcaravan standing around in winter without being warmed up to keep the rust at bay.

The wheels do not come off for MOT and on most designs the pads are effectively hidden from view. As long as the efficiency reading is correct its a pass.

Best practice for a camper is wheels off once a year for a visual and pads out every two for a good look.

A normal LGV would wear the pads out before the rust bugs got fat.

Wise words mate. It didn't take long to take a wheel off or if there is room inspect the pads from under the van using a good torch. Most MOT mechanics will oblige if you ask them to take a look at the pads when the vehicle is on the lift.

• 6 months later...
George Collings - 2016-03-09 10:53 AM

In the very dim and distant I was a MOT tester but that was in the days when a brake test was a road test with a Tapley Meter.

Reminds me of the days when I had a very quick BMW with some exotic kit including a limited slip differential. When I got it home after an MOT I discovered a brake tester in the passenger footwell which the garage had forgotten to take out. Apparently they couldn't test the brakes on their rolling road.

Archived