Filling up with Fresh Water

Fellbound

The large-diameter hose leading from my Hobby motorhome’s water-tank filling point to the tank was near horizontal. I cut a length of stiffish plastic hose that reached from the filling point to the water tank’s inlet and added a Hozelock fitting to its outer end to attach my 10-metre cassette-hose to. I could now fill the tank using full mains water pressure.

As there was always the chance that the plastic hose could be blown back out of the filling point (exciting when the mains pressure is high) I wrapped a piece of thick wire round the plastic hose’s Hozelock fitting to produce a shape that could ‘hook’ on to the underside of the filling point’s aperture. The principle was similar to that of the Water Block Filler, equally effective but cost nothing.

I still use this arrangement with my current Rapido, but this has a sharply inclined interior hose leading down from the filling point and entering the tank at its base, and there seems to be no tendency for the plastic hose to be ejected from the filling point even when mains water-pressure is high and I don’t engage the ‘hook’.

It’s possible to obtain in-line hose shut-off valves. Example here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/release-IN-LINE-HOZELOCK-COMPATIBLE-DELIVERY/dp/B00VIGJ1RI

I have a pair of expanding hoses and a range of 4 differentadaptors and couplers on short 1 foot pices of blue hoze, so can mix and match as appropriate depending on the tap outlet .

we also have a 5 litre carrier for emergency use if we cant get near a tap.

Tonyg3nwl

Archived