Cold Gas Bottle

mom

Hello all!

We have a Campingaz bottle in our van that gets quite cold in the winter, with the subsequent drop in gas pressure.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any tricks?  For example, can you get a jacket for gas bottles?  Would this even help?

Thanks!

Dear Mom They all do it, try taking it to bed at night it will stop it getting too cold. (lol) If you are intending to use the van thru winter you may wish to consider changing your Campinggaz bottle for a propane bottle which works right thru the winter. Docted

Butane is absolutely useless in winter conditions in my caravan days one April i had to put the bottle in the car with the heater on just to make a cup of tea. it goes even colder when drawing off vapour and reaches the stage it wont vapourise anymore . I would definitely change over to propane it wont effect any burners as they are compatable for use with propane. You can always change over to Butane in the summer. A jacket will probably hold in the cold and work against keeping it warm. Off to the shops for a propane regulator!. Pete

Thanks guys! 

I've been down the propane vs butane route; problem is we do most of our winter travel on the continent and find that the most reliable gas available is campingaz, especially for our small storage compartment.

We have camped in some pretty cold conditions, certainly sub-zero outside, and I have always had enough gas flow to keep the heater working, but it gets tricky when I need more flow for the stove burners. 

Perhaps taking it to bed is the best option!

Have you considered a 6kg Gaslow refillable bottle. You would be able to fill up in most countries easily and in Spain in some places. The autogas is propane and will therefore continue gassing in very cold conditions and the 6kg bottle should fit your gas cupboard.

Hi, I have gone 3 winters with Butane, and yes it is a problem, but I have never yet not managed. 1st thing to do is have the has bottle locker side facing the afternoon sun. In evening 1st thing is to warm some water and give the gas bottles a hot water bottle (lemonade bottle suffices). Once the heater gets going in the motorhome I seem to get a enough warmth to keep the gas locker warm. If all else fails I swap over to the new bottle I have ready for these occassions and it always seems to give some gas until 1/3f empty, certainly enough to heat water for the hot water bottle. Maybe Butane has a certain amount of propane in it , I don't know. The reason I do not use propane bottles is I just do not get long enough out of 2 bottles for my extended trips abroad, but with butane I do. However having said that I am thinking this winyer I wil go the propane route. My gas supplier has said he will swap a bottle for me and back again in the spring. All adds to the fun of Motorhoming and helps pass the dark evenings trying to get the heat going. Jon.

We also started with Camping gaz and a Camping Gaz regulator failed nearly setting our Dormobile alight as the fridge flame was a bit energetic with full bottle pressure being applied to the jet!. Wrapping up the bottle will help it stay cold, the cooling is caused by the gas in the bottle evaporating. If anything let some of the hot air from the heater blow into the gas bottle cupboard to warm the bottle a bit. We converted to Propane 20 years ago. Never looked back. Now we have a bulk tank that can be filled anywhere. http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/GASKIT.htm

Archived