Carcasonne

michele

Hopefully I have spelt it correctly.

Anyone have any info on parking in the Aire at this place . How safe was it , is it still open .

When I went there by car I thought I noticed the Aire seemingly I was looking just at a single camping van .

I have the books and it dont look like anything I have seen before .

Has anyone any update on what they Aire is like here

park4night > Map of places > Detail of a place

Carcassonne, 13-15 Chemin de Montlegun

Add a translation

Id : 1877 - Créé le 15 04 2012 par Tkila

GPS :

N 43°12’19.44” E 2°22’24.168”

Adresse :

13-15 Chemin de Montlegun

11000 Carcassonne

France

Voir sur la carte

Height limited to :

4.00 m

Price of parking : Voir la photo

Add to selection

Edit this place

michele - 2016-03-30 2:01 PM

Hopefully I have spelt it correctly.

Anyone have any info on parking in the Aire at this place . How safe was it , is it still open .

When I went there by car I thought I noticed the Aire seemingly I was looking just at a single camping van .

I have the books and it dont look like anything I have seen before .

Has anyone any update on what they Aire is like here

How old are your books ..the original Aire was right next to the Cite enterance in the bus park but was moved a few years ago to here 43.205400° 2.373380°

How safe ? Its usually busy with lots of people milling about in the day so should be ok ,as for a night stop never done it so dont know.

Brian K

sheer lunar-see - 2016-03-30 1:31 PM

park4night > Map of places > Detail of a place

Carcassonne, 13-15 Chemin de Montlegun

According to the campingcar-infos website 2015 pricing was as follows

Tarif : 2015

Parking 08:00 to 20:00 - First 30 minutes free of charge, then 1€ for each subsequent 1/4 of an hour.

12 heures : 16 €

24 heures : 20 €

Lost ticket : 30 €

Payment by credit card or cash.

There are entry/exit rising barriers and motorhomes share space with coaches. There are also criticisms of the (free) service-point. (It is suggested that parking may be free from 20:00 to 08:00.)

May I suggest as an alternative that just down the road at Lezignans-Corbieres there is a municipal site. OK, the facilties are not the best but the pluses are a swimming pool at the gate, and you get free entry from the site and the on site restaurant does a plat de jour which in our visits was delicious and cheap as chips. Plus of course the site is secure. Yes, I think it cost us about 12 euros a coup,le of years ago, but on the other hand?????? You can also get a train to carcassonne if you wish., Plus, you can pop over to Homps which is also onthe canal and sit beside the river watching boats etc.

We did visit Carcassonne several times but homestly never actually went to the old town, We found the new bits just as interesting, and again some good food. Not hat we are epicureans at all. Just liked to sit beside the canal watching...

When are you going Michelle as I am mindful of your children. We have been to Carcassonne a few times and were going to stop there last year in June. The temperatures were 40 degrees C and fellow MH owners we spoke to at Millau who had just left Carcassonne told us that the Aire was 'heaving; and the medieval city was jam packed with tourists - no change there then. We decided that to stay on the Aire with just a few feet between units in that heat wasn't going to be pleasant so we headed towards the coast instead.

The Aire is close to the city entrance and really is an expensive gravel/cinder carpark with MH's along with the coaches. Easy walk slightly uphill to the city with a path by the side of the road most of the way - so all right for your childrens' 'chariots'. The city, if you haven't been before, is rough cobbled streets with quite a lot of uphill climbs so a little difficult perhaps for you - yes, some of the shops are tacky but the atmosphere is great. We missed going back last year but weather wise it was a good move to go elsewhere.

Alan

MichelleThe Aire is sign posted from the main entrance to the City There are plenty of guides around near the gate who will point you in the right direction. I will try and attach a couple of photos. The pricing (June 2015) looks a bit complicated, It is a take a ticket on entry and pay on exit. We stopped for 3 or 4 hours during the day so it was free. Carcasonne its self did not live up to our expectations.

The Municipal site at Trebbe is not the best and the cycle ride in to Carcasonne is not smooth nor wide and from memory is around 12k each way.

Hope you enjoy your visit

1501796542_Airefees.JPG.3544bbc63b405dae8db1327e9ed82d7f.JPG

423758397_CarcasonneAire.JPG.18a77226ae22a458a9b8f91e8021457c.JPG

Cliffy - 2016-03-30 10:11 PM

...We stopped for 3 or 4 hours during the day so it was free...

Your photo showing the parking charging system is very useful, but I’m surprised that you managed to stop there during the day for that length of time and not pay.

The sign makes it clear that ‘overnight’ parking - from 8pm to 8am - is free. But during the day - from 8am to 8pm - parking is free only for an up-to-30 minutes stay, after which the charge depends on the length of the stay measured in 1/4-hour intervals.

..............................................................................................................

I share Alan’s concerns if Michele plans to visit Caracassone with her children in the tourist high season. I’ve been there twice (by coach) out of season and it was still pretty busy. And (as Alan highlights) getting around within the medieval Cité de Carcassonne may not be easy when disabled people are involved.

Like Mont St Michel, the Cité is a tourist trap with nothing-special far-from-cheap restaurants and souvenir shops wall-to-wall. For anyone wanting a reasonable meal (or even an adequate cup of coffee) in a calm atmosphere a walk down to the town at the base of the hill on which the fortification sits would be worthwhile.

Hi Michelle-

If you are going to pay €20 per day on the aire you may as well pay a bit more and stay on the campsite-there is one right in Carcassone which if I remember correctly is called Cite camping and is just a short walk along a wooded footpath right into the city. However, if I remember correctly you have a member of family who is disabled and unless things have changed dramatically in last couple of years it would be a nightmare for you in the Old Town. Add to that it will be very hot and absolutely heaving unless you go pre July or after August. Don't think the Aire is the only thing to consider

Mike

Never stayed near the city, we used our scooter and rode in, however with care I cannot remember many problems in the Cite. As you have been before you know what it is like so obviously are in a better position than those trying to tell you what to do. The campsite sound best to me, sorry cannot help but wish people would just answer the question and not offer un-asked for advice, no matter how well intentioned.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-03-31 8:47 AM

Cliffy - 2016-03-30 10:11 PM

...We stopped for 3 or 4 hours during the day so it was free...

Your photo showing the parking charging system is very useful, but I’m surprised that you managed to stop there during the day for that length of time and not pay.

The sign makes it clear that ‘overnight’ parking - from 8pm to 8am - is free. But during the day - from 8am to 8pm - parking is free only for an up-to-30 minutes stay, after which the charge depends on the length of the stay measured in 1/4-hour intervals..

Derek

You are probably right about the payment. I remember going in and turning round and driving straight back out because we thought the pricing sign looked complicated which it isn't now I have studied it. We may have gone back in, I cant remember now. There is an area up near the toilets we might have stayed on there. I cant see us paying 8 Euros for the 4 hours we were there just to park, unless the heat got to us.

Stayed there in November on a cold and rainy night. Not many others around and had a great meal in one of the restaurants in the city.

The Aire is just alongside the entrance to the old city. It is large and is accessed by a barrier. You then have to pay to get out using the parking machine dependant on how long you stayed.

It is ideally located for the old city and is perfectly safe.

I got the impression that it could get very busy in the summer.

Suitable for large motorhomes.

Go for it!

Archived