Driving through Slovenia

pauljanita

We will be purchasing our GO Box to drive thru Austria on our way to Croatia, and we've now just seen on the internet that we probably will need a vignette for driving thru Slovenia. Haven't seen this mentioned on forums before - has anyone had any experience of this please? We would hate to end up with a hefty fine!

pauljanita - 2016-04-03 9:30 PM

We will be purchasing our GO Box to drive thru Austria on our way to Croatia, and we've now just seen on the internet that we probably will need a vignette for driving thru Slovenia. Haven't seen this mentioned on forums before - has anyone had any experience of this please? We would hate to end up with a hefty fine!

Only if using the motorway. They use a windscreen sticker (similar to CH and other countries) and you pay for it when you enter the motorway. A shame really as it used to be entirely free but Slovenia is a wonderful country to explore away from the motorway, assuming you have plenty of time.

ALAN G - 2016-04-04 6:53 PM

Yes, it's a beautiful country.

All the information you need is on our government website,

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/slovenia

including the fact that Foreign Nationals staying for more than 3 days need to register with the police.

This could be new as it wasn't apparent when we were last there.

Enjoy the trip

Yes i imagine that must be very recent as i've certainly not had to do that before! It's possibly due to the immigrant issue which has overwhelmed such a small country no bigger than Wales!

...it's been the case for Slovenia for years.

If you're staying in official accommodation (such as a campsite) they will take care of such registration (and I suspect, at the risk of penalties to themselves if they don't).

It's not so long since registration with the police was commonplace in many/most European countries, and I've filled in police registration documents abroad more times than I can remember.

Edit to add:

BTW, re tolls. AFAIK the situation has not changed since I was last there. Tolls are charged on motorways by means of a vignette for up to 3500kg, and (as Jeremy says, as his 'van is over 3500kg) by physical payment at toll plazas if you are above (and there is an option to pre-register for such payment, presumably allowing automation).

Robinhood - 2016-04-04 9:43 PM

...it's been the case for Slovenia for years.

If you're staying in official accommodation (such as a campsite) they will take care of such registration (and I suspect, at the risk of penalties to themselves if they don't).

Been to Slovenia many times staying on both sites and 'wild'. Never been asked for such documentation or to attend a Police station. One C/site i use every time i've been there and can definitely state they don't forward any documentation detail to the Police as i know one the receptionists who works there.

They may do now, but certainly were not the last time i was in Slovenia which was 2013.

Campsites take copy of your passport or in some cases attempt to hold your passport, but they have no legal right to do that as it's the property of UK Gov and you are responsible for it. I always refuse to let them have my passport. Some don't like it whilst others are more than happy with copy of the number.

It's not so long since registration with the police was commonplace in many/most European countries, and I've filled in police registration documents abroad more times than I can remember.

The only one i was asked to was Hungary. Odd given they were the first to open their border to East Germans in 1989.

I remember the form wanted to know date and time i crossed the border so i simply stuck in some date then 1403hr 23 mins 47secs as i certainly don't check what time i cross any damn border!

All quite daft yes, but i'm not visiting a totalitarian state.

Slightly off topic but just as bats. When my ex-wife who is Swiss first came to UK we were told by the Home Office she would have to register at a local Police station. So off we went to my local nick to announce her arrival and residency. Plod looked at us both as though we were bats as they'd not only never heard of such, they had no relevant form either so told us to go home and forget about it.

Bulletguy - 2016-04-04 11:00 PM

They may do now, but certainly were not the last time i was in Slovenia which was 2013.

...though exactly the same Foreign Office travel advice about registration was in force in 2013.........

The following extract is from the official Slovenian Government Information site:

If you do not stay in a tourist, lodging or accommodation facility (usually with private individuals or with your acquaintances), you have to register with the competent police station personally within three days of crossing the border. If you stay in a tourist or lodging facility, the accommodation provider must register you with the competent police station within 12 hours and if you stay in an accommodation facility, the accommodation provider must register you with the competent police station within three days. This means that a foreigner comes to the police station (or is brought there by an acquaintance) and registers his temporary residence. The police officer fills in the registration form based on the valid identity document and enters the person into the central register of the Ministry of the Interior .

Robinhood - 2016-04-05 8:45 AM

Bulletguy - 2016-04-04 11:00 PM

...though exactly the same Foreign Office travel advice about registration was in force in 2013.........

The following extract is from the official Slovenian Government Information site:

If you do not stay in a tourist, lodging or accommodation facility (usually with private individuals or with your acquaintances), you have to register with the competent police station personally within three days of crossing the border....

In the eyes of Slovenian law then i'm a "criminal"!! I doubt the police are remotely interested in the likes of us unless you commit a serious offence and will find it's a piece of bureaucracy ignored by all but the most fanatical pedant. If taking that as literal 'letter of law' police stations would be bogged down every year with form filling and lines of tourists queuing up.

They've certainly never been interested in me.....i feel quite miffed about that! But I think they have more serious matters to concern themselves with.

Which other European countries have you been registering with "more times than you can remember"?

We drive our van through slovenia. We planned to pay tolls as over 3.5ton. Traffic police called us over when leaving the motorway as they saw no vignette sticker. We had to show log books and documents they said why we hadn't paid toll. I replied they pulled us over as we approached toll booth. I was told "make sure you pay next time". Bit crazy as we were pulled at the toll booth so I had to walk over to pay then. My advice is drive and stop at toll booth ( which we were about to do) and if flagged then signal you are about to pay. There was no problem for us. Think they thought they could have a fine from us. We had uplated our van so they assumed it was 3.5 ton.

chris - 2016-04-06 8:46 AM

We drive our van through slovenia. We planned to pay tolls as over 3.5ton. Traffic police called us over when leaving the motorway as they saw no vignette sticker. We had to show log books and documents they said why we hadn't paid toll. I replied they pulled us over as we approached toll booth. I was told "make sure you pay next time". Bit crazy as we were pulled at the toll booth so I had to walk over to pay then. My advice is drive and stop at toll booth ( which we were about to do) and if flagged then signal you are about to pay. There was no problem for us. Think they thought they could have a fine from us. We had uplated our van so they assumed it was 3.5 ton.

Possibly a misunderstanding on "communication" but i've always found their Police polite and helpful. Slovenia needs the income from tourism so the last thing they want is any disgruntled tourist who might not return, or worse still, spread adverse publicity.

It's also worth pointing out for the OP that vignettes are available to cover varying lengths of stay and can also be purchased at some town centre Garages.

I had an "issue" similar to yours but in Romania where i was stopped at a border on re-entering back into Romania from Bulgaria, but already had a valid vignette to cover me yet was asked for another payment. I made my point about already having a valid vignette and even a Romanian guy behind me overheard what was going on and waded in to try and help explain to the girl in the booth. She wouldn't back down and threatened to call the Police. The weather was roasting so i just paid up but did have to laugh when the Romanian guy used a few 'colourful' words to express his anger at this woman......in perfect English! :D

Archived