Truma heater problems

Mikeo

I have a Truma combi 6E in my 2015 Benimar. Not found the water heating very effective but put that down to using the heater during cold weather over the winter. However on our last trip the heater stopped working on electric only showing a fault code w45h which according to what I can discover is a 230v problem. Have had the van at a dealer for a frustrating two hours but they now tell me the whole system has to be taken out to be checked which will involve leaving the van with them for another couple of days and worse they cannot do it until the 22nd April and this is all to find out what is wrong before ordering any possible spares.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so do they know what the eventual solution was? Heater still works on gas.

Cheers

We have a TRuma Combi 4 (I think its that version) in our 2007 Burstner, and have always found the Electric heating - especially on the room heating- is less efficient than Gas.

However, we've just returned from 5 days away with some pretty cold weather nad had this on 24/7 pretty much, and the water heating was absolutely fine on electrics, even though the hot air system was running simultaneously.

Perhaps there is a fuse blown which has cut off the supply of /240v which the electrics runs on..

Ours also has an 'automatic drain valve' if the outside temp drops below about 5c - which I have overridden, but I am not sure if that would stop the whole system working if it has been activated. Indeed I am note sure if that is still fitted - it certainly can be a pain.

Mikeo

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Mike.

Truma Combi heaters are complex beasts and I don’t think a remote diagnosis of your problem will be possible, particularly as a motorhome dealer has already spent a couple of hours working on your heater without (as I understand it) being unable to say what the cause is and has now told you the heater needs to come out for further attention. The 230V heating elements might have failed, or the printed-circuit board might have become defective, or a wiring fault might have developed, or something else - guessing isn’t going to help much.

You might try asking the Truma(UK) technicians about this using the phone/email details here

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/home/service-center.php

but I suspect that they will tell you the same.

Keith T

If the Truma heater in your 2007 Burstner motorhome is a Combi 4E, it must be a very early one as Combi heaters (apparently) only became available in June 2007.

How have you overridden the automatic drain-valve, please?

My understanding was that the introduction of the Combi range of heaters marked the demise of the electrically-operated frost-protecting drain-valve in favour of a non-electrical version. The electrically-operated valve was used with Truma Trumatic-C appliances from the 1990s and was easily overridden by jamming it shut with a clothes-peg, bulldog-clip, etc. whereas the non-electrical valve fitted to Combi heaters is much trickier to disable.

Colin

Truma’s electric safety/drain valve was normally connected directly to a Trumatic C heater that had a ‘port’ into which the valve’s wiring harness was plugged. This arrangement provided the necessary 12V power to hold the valve closed and - in cold weather when filling the appliance with water - it allowed the valve’s opening to be inhibited by switching on the Trumatic C heater. People (Including me) used to disable the valve by jamming it in the closed position and this was easy to do.

As I said earlier, my understanding was that, when the “Combi “ range of heating appliances was introduced, the electric safety/drain valve was superseded by the non-electric “FrostControl” equivalent.

https://www.truma.com/downloadcenter/frostcontrol_installation_instruction_de_gb_fr_it_nl_dk_es.pdf

The FrostControl valve requires no 12V power to hold it closed and, consequently, can be fitted to any Truma appliance that heats water (eg. Combi, Ultrastore boiler, retro-fit to Trumatic C).

Normally there will be no electrical connection between a FrostControl valve and the appliance it protects, but Truma does offer an add-on (Part No: 70070-01) for the FrostControl that plugs into a Combi and heats the valve when the appliance is turned on. This was discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Truma-water-heater-/36316/

Overriding a FrostControl vlave by physically ‘jamming’ it shut is a lot harder than with the earlier electric valve - hence my question to Keith T.

As the electric valve used with Trumatic C appliances is visually quite different from FrostControl, it’s a simple matter to distinguish between the two types.

Archived