Condensation

DavidBrown

Hi, We use a rechargeable Karcher Window Vac http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4504849.htm, with the small head that can be bought as an after market item, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3397916.htm . It does the job fine for the upper two thirds of the screen, but as you get lower it needs to be turned sideways, where if it has too much collected moisture in the collection tank it will start spitting it out through the vents. So I then empty the tank and go a bit lower, however I still end up using kitchen roll for the very bottom of the screen . :-(

Best avoid condensation with exterior Silver Screen or similar.

Otherwise a roll of those yellow water absorbent cloths along the bottom edge of screen to act as blotting paper. But then these need drying every morning.

Personally I find SS fine. If wet dangle somewhere like over the outside mirror for a couple of minutes to let the worst drain off . Then bag them and dump in shower to dry out while on route.

We used a wooly mammoth this winter. It's a giant drying towel from Chemical Guys which was just sufficient to dry the A-class windows in the morning. However, its useless at keeping in the heat!

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Chemical_Guys_Wooly_Mammoth_Drying_Towel_p/woolmamm.htm

Now we've got external insulation screens. They stop condensation and keep in the heat, or keep out the heat in the summer.

Hi thanks for all your advice.

We are just using a microfibre sponge and cloth atm. Seems to work on but need to dry them out afterwards. I have seen someone use one of those window vacs at a site and it looked quite effective so may look into one of those. As I really dnt want to have to get a silver screen as it just means more setting up camp and finding somewhere in the van to put it ect..

:-D

IMHO the slight trouble of fitting and then putting away an exterior cover( Silver Screen or similar) is worth it. I found i spent more time mopping up condensation. I have fitted Remis blinds, but they do not stop condensation.

Rayjsj - 2016-04-05 10:45 AM

IMHO the slight trouble of fitting and then putting away an exterior cover( Silver Screen or similar) is worth it. I found i spent more time mopping up condensation. I have fitted Remis blinds, but they do not stop condensation.

Have to agree. Well worth the extra time (5mins, max) Keeps the cab area warm and usable , even if only to store things at night!

Look on line for second hand ones. People often sell when changing van. Bought mine from some -one on this forum!!

PJay

How about a Meaco DD8L Junior dehumidifier if you're on EHU?

Many will say you're trying to dry the world but ours has run for approx. 5000 hours in the colder, wet months over the past 18 months when we've been in the MH and not once have we had condensation on the front screen, with or without screen covers. Also useful for drying damp washing or wet coats if it's placed in the bathroom.

Condensation is not only a pita to mop up but think how much of it runs down the windscreen and behind the dash. The first thing it hits in the X250 is the soundproofing - been there and got the t-shirt lol.

ken the kontiki - 2016-04-05 11:25 AM

How about a Meaco DD8L Junior dehumidifier if you're on EHU?

Many will say you're trying to dry the world but ours has run for approx. 5000 hours in the colder, wet months over the past 18 months when we've been in the MH and not once have we had condensation on the front screen, with or without screen covers. Also useful for drying damp washing or wet coats if it's placed in the bathroom.

OK if you have space and weight available!

PJay

DavidBrown - 2016-04-04 9:08 PM

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice or would like to share what you do to get rid of condensation in the morning without having to use a silver screen.

P.S we have Remis internal blinds.

:-D

Others have covered most of the points above. However, the Remis blinds contribute nothing to reduce condensation, so aren't relevant.

Basically the problem is that the cab windows are single glazed, so are almost invariably the coldest surfaces in your van at night. Everything you do in your van creates airborne moisture, from breathing to cooking to perspiring to washing up. That airborne moisture only remains airborne for so long as the air is warm enough. The warmer the air the more moisture it can support (its relative humidity) and the cooler the less it can support (hence relative (to temperature) humidity). When the air encounters a surface that is below its dew point, it dumps its excess moisture as condensation. It is an immutable law of physics!

So, simply stated, you have five choices.

1. Reduce to the absolute minimum the amount of moisture you produce.

2. Get rid of as much of that moisture as you can as it is produced (by natural or mechanical ventilation).

3. Raise the temperature of the cab windows with an external insulated blind.

4. Accept the condensation and mop it up.

5. Only use your van in warmer weather. :-)

The practical solution is usually some combination of 1 - 3, but how that mix will work for you, and whether 4 or even 5 are an acceptable part of the mix, can only be assessed by the individual/s concerned.

Brian, thanks for the explanation, I was wondering how/why!

You've also saved me investigating the possibility of replacing our curtain with remis blinds B-)

Interesting too is the number of recommendations for the window vac, I hadn't even thought of something like that!

Archived