Non-Motorway Dunkirk to Italy??

snowie

We did Helsinki and back via mostly non-motorway routes last year (I had an issue with a radiator hose), and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Heading for southern Italy in May.

I've just asked the navigator what she thinks about non-motorway routes to and within Italy; not an enthusiastic response!

Any suggestions, from Dunkirk would be helpful,

regards

alan b

We used the Michelin website for our route to the Italian Dolomites in March this year and found a great combined motorway/non-motorway route with minimum tolls (just the Brenner pass (about 9 euro) and a 10 day- 8 Euro vignette for Austria) if it is toll free you are looking for. The route we took went through Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany and Austria. I suspect however that it is not the main issue for you. The website may be useful in planning whatever route suits you both. Forgive me if you are already aware of it but here's the link below. Our route was to Bolzano which may not suit those travelling to the South of Italy but I highly recommend passing through that region if you have plenty of time and haven't been there before; the scenery is breathtaking and worth a bit of a detour. The journey took us over the Fern Pass, which if you haven't used it before won't fail to delight as it is spectacular. We had to take two overnight stops on the way down, one in the Ardennes and one in Ulm before reaching Italy. You navigator may be fearful that you will take ages to get there on non-motorway routes. Both of you may be satisified if there's a bit of a mix and you take in some great views. Hope you have a marvellous trip. Veronica

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk

...I think if you're going to make the best of the time in Italy, wholly non-motorway would be hard work.

I must admit, however, that I would much prefer a variety of roads on (the longer-distance part of) my travels, with a mix of motorways, quieter roads, and intermediate, relatively fast routes.

Suggestions would depend whereabouts you're heading in Italy, but we find the following rough route South rings the changes, and is largely (entirely, if you use the easy non-motorway routes across Austria) toll-free.

We much prefer the route South via the central Mosel to that either side of the Rhine.

It also gives good options for stopovers on the way (some of our favourites are detailed):

https://goo.gl/maps/M44xcWkrWA82

Whilst the first section from Dunkirk is (fairly busy) motorway, the E42 South through Malmedy to the Mosel is almost Motorway quality, but very quiet (and quite scenic). The Mosel gives a good opportunity to overnight (We invariably end up at Wintrich, which has an excellent Stellplatz, but the choice in a small area is enormous).

Heading South from there takes easy but slower roads over the Hunsrück, back onto the Autobahn system (which, subject to roadworks) allows some mileage under one's belt.

The route from Ulm to the Austrian border varies a lot by timing in its business, but has decent views in good weather, and we find the Ehrwald/Biberwier area just inside Austria great for a stopover (a number of campsites to choose from).

Dropping into the Inn Valley via the Fern Pass, the motorway is easily avoided, and going as far as Landeck and avoiding the tunnel keeps the route toll-free (these roads are easy).

The entry into Italy down the Venosta valley is stunning, and there are a number of campsites to choose from ((We used an excellent but very expensive one between Sluderno and Glorenza, but would next time look at the much cheaper one in Glorenza - by happenstance it was very busy when we arrived at a weekend, but very quiet the next day).

Italy is then your oyster from there.

snowie - 2016-04-06 4:19 PM

We did Helsinki and back via mostly non-motorway routes last year (I had an issue with a radiator hose), and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Heading for southern Italy in May.

I've just asked the navigator what she thinks about non-motorway routes to and within Italy; not an enthusiastic response!

Any suggestions, from Dunkirk would be helpful,

regards

alan b

Snowie, do you mean avoiding dual carriageways and the like, or just motorways, or just toll motorways.

We are making a similar trip this year and it is mostly non-toll (except one short stretch from Naples to Pompei), but we will use some motorway south of Pompei and some dual carriageway. However, most will be on two lane roads. If of interest, I'll set out the main points we'll be passing through en-route.

Violet's route over the Alps is fine, but set your sat nav to avoid tolls as the Landecker Tunnel is part of the toll motorway network, and the road signs strongly encourage its use! The non-toll Fern and Reschen passes are fine.

You're right, Robin. I didn't properly take in the Brenner mention, and was swayed by the mention of Bolzano after Fern, that she must also have also used the Reschen pass, which is my preferred route and is completely toll/Go box free. The Brenner route would be somewhat quicker, but the Fern - Reschen route is far more fun, in my opinion and, I gather, yours as well.

...indeed.

Last year we went out via the Reschen Pass, because we were dallying.

The route is more enjoyable than the Brenner, and the upper reaches of the Val Venosta are delightful. A stay there is made even better by the provision of a free travel pass by the campsite (I think many include it) which gives widespread opportunities to sight-see without driving.

For instance, we had a beautiful day out in Merano by train from the upper reaches of the valley, by train and all at no travel cost.

Coming back, we used the Brenner (old, non-toll route) because it was nearer our exit point. Even the old road is quicker than the Reschen Pass, but is considerably less scenic.

You pays your money.......

Then I'll whet you appetite a bit more! :-) From whichever port, mainly because north eastern France is a well worn route and not that appealing whether on the A26 or non motorway roads, we have tended to take the equally unappealing, but relatively quick and free motorways through Belgium and Luxemburg into Lorraine, and then down to Alsace via Thionville and Metz to Obernai. We usually break the journey there because the site is an excellent Municipal that takes ACSI and is within walking distance of the town which, although not as picture-book pretty as some, has bags of character and is rather more than just a tourist centre. It also has an excellent Leclerc supermarket.

From there we cross the Rhine into Germany near Offenburg, and then to near Fussen via Rottweil, Albstadt, Biberach and Memmingen where we pick up the A7 for a few miles to an overnight stop a bit south of Kempten (Wertach or Haslach).

Thence down a bit more A7 to the Grenztunnel into Austria and on to Reutte and the Fernpass to by-pass Nassereith for Imst and Landeck avoiding the toll A12 and taking the Reschenpass via Reid and Pfunds to Italy at Reschen/Resia (spectacular lunch stop at Curon Venosta in a sometime chargeable car park by the Reschensee/Lago de Resia.). From there follow the road and the Adige river down to Merano and Blozano to Trento, across to Bassano del Grappa and down to Oriago on the Brenta canal to another good ACSI campsite (Serenissima), that has a bus stop outside for buses to Venice or Padua (tickets at the site reception :-)).

South from there passing (or not! :-)) Chioggia and Ravenna into Umbria, for another pause at Citta di Castello.

Then on, passing (or not! :-)) Gubbio and Assisi, Spoleto and Narni to another overnight stop just outside Rome. Rome to Naples taking the coastal route via Latina and Gaeta, and that bit of toll A3 to Pompei for another pause.

From Pompei to Salerno on non motorway, but then onto the now toll free A3 into Calabria, and in our case on almost to Reggio, to take the ferry to Sicily - but that is another story!

Almost any of the above (and may more) towns in Italy are worthy of a few days exploring, so if you yield to the temptations of (for example) the mosaics of Ravenna, the charms of Gubbio, or the cathedral at Asissi, you'll never get south of Rome unless you go for about a year!

Alan, I looked at Brian's appetite wetter journey and I agree spend the time in Italy not getting there. This year will be our 8th driving holiday in Italy. We try and stay for around 6 weeks and frankly have only scratched the surface over the years despite usually cover between 2000 & 3000 klms per trip. No matter where you go there is something spectacular to see & not forgetting the food & wine. Hope you have a great trip. Cheers, 

Archived