Laptop Security

alistair

We've bought an Auto-Sleeper Duetto which is in storage until we arrive from New Zealand in April and tour for a few months before returning to NZ, a process we'll be repeating over the next few years. We will have a couple of laptops and as we don't want to carry them every time we leave the van parked, I'm thinking of installing some form of secure enclosure to store them in. I haven't seen the Duetto yet but I know space will be limited so don't know if there will be room in a cupboard or wardrobe or even under the floor to permanently install a lockable steel box to take two laptops. I would think that a concealed box would be best to remove temptation. There seem to be some companies that advertise laptop safes for vehicles, but none seem to be quite what I have in mind so we may have to get something purpose-made. Has anyone got any suggestions or comments? Thanks. Alistair

Hi Our 2002 Duetto had a locked box under passenger seat where i kept mine + i had a van bitz alarm system on the van itself with a siren underr the dash board close to the box under the seat. You can only do so much and that did it for me. Also you could think about bacKing up all important files to a pendrive or CD/DVD and carry that with you - at the end of day you can pick up good second hand laptops at a pretty good price and it is the data eg pictures that are really important. Peter

Hi, yes this has always been my worry. We always do a full back-up before leaving home, and put the discs in the safe at home. In terms of vehicle security, you can do what you can, and we also have the 'vanbitz' alarms. There is a space under some cab seats which can have a 'front' locking plate fitted, but whether this would take a laptop I don't know. We tend to hide it wherever possible uinder or at the back of all the beding etc, but by and large do leave the van on sites, and use public transport wherever possible. Having looked at the new Fiat based Motorhomes, there is a locking compartement in the cab for just this purpose - they are learning some of the more modern needs at last!

I installed a http://www.autosafe.co.uk/in-vehicle/s15.html from autosafe in our M/home. Seems a well made bit of kit with double locking bars on the side and the ability to wind an armoured cable around any thing not movable, ( Although I fixed mine to the floor with nuts on the inside.o oops speeling !

Archived