Garda in May

sunbeam

Hi all I'm travelling to lake Garda mid May and have to visit Annecy either on route or return was wondering if anyone has any good routes and places to stay or see from Lac Leman area to Garda hopefully avoiding motorway tolls in Switzerland as I'm over 3.5 May go or return via Mulhouse and motor museum port of call is Cherbourg will be via Paris one way and mid France the other

I wouldn't worry too much about avoiding Switzerland if over 3.5.

You can purchase a 10 day pass at the border for about 30 Euro valid for, I think, one year ( this applies for vehicles over 3.5). You could use this for your return journey if required. You just need to mark on the pass the days you are travelling or are present in Switzerland.

We also used the same route as Vindiboy but the tunnel is very expensive at 57 euro and we're under 3.5 the tolls thru to Venice where 40 euro

We where caught out as traveling early may the passes where still closed with snow so had to use tunnel. our return route was via Mont Cenis a easy drive from Garda with plenty of over night stops at the pass

I have been to both Annecy and Lake Garda, though not driven directly between them.  If I was doing that in May I would use the Mont Blanc Tunne, even if it did cost 60€ because the alternatives would almost certainly cost more in fuel alone.

I have driven through that Tunnel (on a motorcycle) and it's an impressive experience.  It was a few years ago and a day return ticket cost 26€, which I thought excellent value.  I would happily pay 60€ to take my motorhome through it - the Italian side is a different world!

If you have time take the cable car over the Mont Blanc Massif, that was an amazing experience.  Real bucket list stuff.  There is parking at the Italian side of the Tunnel (where the cable car also starts) and you can get a ticket (cost 65€ a few years ago) which includes a return trip through the Tunnel by bus, bringing you back to your MH. Much better than starting from the French side. 

Archived