Rodents In the Engine plus Gel batteries do give off Gas

aandncaravan

A Motorhome in for an Engine/Chassis service recently gave us a bit of a surprise when we removed the old Air Filter to find it full of Acorns. See the photo.

The Rodent had clearly had not been in residence long as the damage was slight, but had it burrowed into the Air Filter a bit further it would have found access into the engine, with potentially serious results.

We also had an email today that demonstrated that Gel batteries do vent Gas, It went,

"My setup includes two Exide Gel G80 leisure batteries one of these is 9 years old and one is 5 years old. Last week I put on mains electric hook up overnight, in the morning went to van and found the carbon monoxide alarm going and strong smell of fumes from I believe the 9 year old leisure battery which was very hot".

Both Gel and AGM batteries will Gas dangerous fumes, it is a fallacy that they don't. They don't gas as much as an old style, high maintenance battery, under normal circumstances but they will gas when things go wrong, especially as they age.

1168716771_MotorhomeAirFiltersquirrelsmall.jpg.9b6a4fcec09b5fba2d527f0b7da616b0.jpg

aandncaravan - 2016-04-12 8:41 PM

A Motorhome in for an Engine/Chassis service recently gave us a bit of a surprise when we removed the old Air Filter to find it full of Acorns. See the photo.

The Rodent had clearly had not been in residence long as the damage was slight, but had it burrowed into the Air Filter a bit further it would have found access into the engine, with potentially serious results.

I would guess this is an x250 as it's a common problem in x250(and presumably x290) motorhomes which are parked up for a few weeks/months to get mice in the filter.

It took well over £1000 before my van was sorted, for one of our Oz members the consequence was an hydraulic-ed engine which needed rebuilding.

I now have mesh blocking the entrance to intake from the cross member.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/x2-50-2-3-2000miles-with-a-duff-EGR-valve/31638/31/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/One-for-Nick-Eddie-and-all-Filters-vs-Mice/31373/

Our van is parked on concrete in a garage complex and gets the odd mouse visiting.

I know as the little blighters bit through a flexible fuel pipe. We constantly put the odd trap

inside and check regularly. They can get through a gap no more that the thickness of a

pencil so it's very hard to stop them gaining entry.

We live in a rural area, so also place traps in the sheds and keep catching them regularly.

Archived